Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other option.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I just saw another thread about lack of visible diversity in cabinet, so came up with this idea as a suggestion.

If, during an election, candidates are tied in a riding? I suppose this might mean a revote in that local community.

But what if we made an exception in the event tht there is at least one visible minority in the tie? Do you think it would be fair to give the seat to the visible minority if there is one, and if more than one, then the revote would only include the visible minorities who were in the tied vote?

I know ties in an election are highly improbable! I know that. But I'm just saying that, in the event that it should occur, that such a law could still help to diversify parliament a little while still requiring the candidate to have earned his seat by at least tying the visible majority candidate. Not to mention that this would save the local taxpaers/voters time, energy, and tax money for a revote.

Good idea, or not?

nomore

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2006
I think that is a horrible idea, what you are proposing is called racism. You are proposing giving someone preferential treatment just because of the color of skin. That is very very wrong, and this is how racism propogates. Just because one person is a visible minority, that dosen't make them a better person for the job.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Definately racism. Who would ever come up with such an idea? Is there someone that hates caucasians so much that they want to instill this hatred into the population? Ugh I'm so sick of this type of ongoing racism in Canada towards the peoples who built this country.

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
The election process is there to represent the views of the people and not to make parliament more diverse.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Two people tie in an election.

One is physically handicapped.

The handicapped person gets it automatically?
The Fiberals get 150 MPs elected as does the Conservatives.

Do we count the coloured voters of each party to see who gets to govern?

Two relay teams tie at the Olympics. The team with the most visable minorities gets the gold?

What if it is the Jamaican team? Do we look for a Whitey or Oriental?