What is it about Jack Layton?

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
I have always been curious to why so many left wingers on this board are so staunchly behind Jack Layton.

I've looked up his history and his profile and their is not that much there to warrant such reverance, and such the prime ministership.

I am not bashing the guy, but I am wondering why so many strongly support him, and why he would make a good PM.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
JomZ said:
I have always been curious to why so many left wingers on this board are so staunchly behind Jack Layton.

I've looked up his history and his profile and their is not that much there to warrant such reverance, and such the prime ministership.

I am not bashing the guy, but I am wondering why so many strongly support him, and why he would make a good PM.

Well look at it this way. Look at the last two leaders of the NDP. Jack Layton blows them out of the water. The only two leaders of the NDP (not including the CCF) which have been better then Layton have been Ed and Tommy Douglas. I think most NDPers would agree that Canada's best leader, or at least best NDP leader was Tommy Douglas and not Jack Layton.

Personally I don't think Jack would be a bad PM. If Harper can do it, every other Canadian could in my eye's.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
naaaa, come on, he's the Video professor, get it right.

Well he just as good as Martin and Harper and I would actual prefer Layton compaired to those two. He does wear his heart on his sleeve a little bit too much and he doesn't seem to ever get REALLY angry. I think if your going to lean to the left or the right you have to have that.... fire... I think a Jack Layton or an NDP firebrand would be interesting.

Edit:
but your right. He is no Tommy Douglas. But you must agree he is a lot better then the last two... you know, dumb and dumber.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
All I know of him was his strong anti-communist beliefs inside the NDP/CCF. Is this the same guy?

But really most people in the CCF and early NDP were very anti-communist... Though I know many thought the communists should not be banned for democratic reasons. Not sure where David Lewis personal beliefs stood on that issue.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yep, same guy.

Led the NDP after Tommy Douglas stepped down. Supported the Trudeau minority gov't in the early 70s.

Was born in Russia, which probably accounts for his anti-communist stance.

Father of Stephen Lewis.

ksnyder

Feb 8, 2006
Mississauga
Personally, I can't see what people see in Jack Layton either. The people who have posted so far have said that he is better than Audrey Mclanglin (sp) and um....What's her name? but they haven't said _why_ he's better.

Personally, the whole "living in subsided housing while making over $100 000 a year thing" doesn't sit right with me. Yes, Layton did pay a top-up part of the time they lived there, but he and Olivia lived in the apartment for quite some time before they started to.

Kari

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: What is it about Jack Layton?

Colpy said:
....probably accounts for his anti-communist stance.

That just means he had a brain and could think for himself.

Anti-communists in the NDP? Interesting notion.....

yballa09

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Rexburg, Idaho
As a Conservative supporter, I respect Jack Layton and do believe he is sincere in what he says. It is the platform of the party he affiliates with that draws me away from voting for him, but as a person I have the utmost respect for him.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: What is it about Jack Layton?

ksnyder said:
Personally, I can't see what people see in Jack Layton either. The people who have posted so far have said that he is better than Audrey Mclanglin (sp) and um....What's her name? but they haven't said _why_ he's better.

Personally, the whole "living in subsided housing while making over $100 000 a year thing" doesn't sit right with me. Yes, Layton did pay a top-up part of the time they lived there, but he and Olivia lived in the apartment for quite some time before they started to.

Kari

Interesting? When he was on toronto council he lived with his extended family. I don't know where he lives now in Ottawa but I guess he gets the same subsidies as any other MP or leader of a party. *shrugs* would love to know your point? I'd also like to see something which backs that up as well.