Emerson Crosses the Floor!!!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
So, let's hear everyone insist he resign and stand for a byelection.

David Emerson has crossed the floor to join the Tories.

Let the excuses begin!!!!!!!!!!! Will he get a cabinet post? Will we hear choruses of insults about how brainless he must be, and suggestions that he's nothing but a whore?

Come on, step up to the plate, all of you who had lots to say about Belinda Stronach.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
And now it looks like an UN ELECTED person will be part of the cabinet?

That's a good step in the direction of responsibility, too.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
canada news
Monday, Feb 06, 2006

Liberal Emerson crosses the floor to sit in Conservative cabinet

OTTAWA (CP) - Former Liberal industry minister David Emerson is crossing the floor and will sit in the Conservative cabinet.

Stunned onlookers barely had a chance to ask a question of the Vancouver MP and former head of lumber giant Canfor as he strolled into Rideau Hall shortly before the Tory cabinet was being announced. Emerson is the new Tory minister of international trade, with responsibilities for the Vancouver Olympics.

Pinching Emerson might be seen as Conservative retribution for the defection of Belinda Stronach, who went from being a Tory leadership candidate to a Liberal cabinet minister in about a year.

Several Conservatives responded by demanding laws forcing floor-crossers to go back to the electorate for another mandate.

In the recent federal election, Emerson was featured in televised Liberal election ads promoting the party in British Columbia as the best choice for voters.

He was also frequently under fire from the Tories in the last Parliament over a multibillion-dollar program in the Industry Department.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Personally I feel if a candidate runs on one platform and is elected on the basis of that platform and then changes party affiliation there should be a new election. With Stronach there was the immediate reward of a very high profile cabinet post. If the offer was made before she crossed the floor there is a big problem. We don’t know because the Liberals conducted a lot their activities very secretively and then misrepresented (or lied about) what occurred.

(Harper has promised Canadians accountability and transparency and it is to soon to judge whether he will uphold this promise. If Emerson is given a cabinet post or is seen driving a new Porsche around Ottawa there should be an investigation.) Edit: Well they did it and I am not impressed. It is starting to appear that Canadians will have to revolt to get an honest government.

It should be the same standard for all.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
TenPenny said:
Let the excuses begin!!!!!!!!!!! Will he get a cabinet post? Will we hear choruses of insults about how brainless he must be, and suggestions that he's nothing but a *censored*?

You can't fault someone for coming to their senses. Belinda took a leave of absence from hers, so people said bad things.... :)

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
I think that It's time to disband all the parties and have all people run as independants, but running as supporters of a particular leadership candidate. But that would be the logical thing to do...and logic doesn't seem to be in abundance anywhere these days.

Before you slough this off, think about it. It could easily work, and people could vote on bills as they felt about them, rather than what the party pressured them to do, majority vote wins...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Emerson was one of the things wrong with the Liberal party. Now he's one of the things wrong with the Conservative party.

You can't have it both ways Jay :roll:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
We will straighten him out Juan and if it doesn't work out, you can have him back.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Emerson Crosses the Floor!!!

manda said:
I think that It's time to disband all the parties and have all people run as independants, but running as supporters of a particular leadership candidate. But that would be the logical thing to do...and logic doesn't seem to be in abundance anywhere these days.

Before you slough this off, think about it. It could easily work, and people could vote on bills as they felt about them, rather than what the party pressured them to do, majority vote wins...

I don't dismiss the idea, I just think it is illegal to say "you can't form a party".

"Freedom, equality, fraternity"

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

manda said:
Whatever Jay...I strongly believe that you're an in the closet Liberal ;)

Has ITN been telling you lies about me again? :)

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la

Jay said:
manda said:

I don't dismiss the idea, I just think it is illegal to say "you can't form a party".

"Freedom, equality, fraternity"

But the parties have out lived their usefulness, when no one has the same hard and solid resolves on matters, and people are starting to fly across the floor in all directions

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
TenPenny said:
So, let's hear everyone insist he resign and stand for a byelection.

David Emerson has crossed the floor to join the Tories.

Let the excuses begin!!!!!!!!!!! Will he get a cabinet post? Will we hear choruses of insults about how brainless he must be, and suggestions that he's nothing but a *censored*?

Come on, step up to the plate, all of you who had lots to say about Belinda Stronach.

Yeah, there should be rules requiring anyone that crosses the floor to run again in a by-election.

But there is not. The rules have yet to change, and you can't expect the Tories to play by rules that don't exist.

I can't uderstand this casual rewarding of turncoats with cabinet seats.

Let's hope the rules change SOON.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

manda said:
I think not said:
manda said:
Whatever Jay...I strongly believe that you're an in the closet Liberal ;)

He told me so!!! :p

I can not out my sources.....they should probably pipe down a little to stay anonymous though...sheesh 8) :lol:

:lol: :lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Colpy said:
But there is not. The rules have yet to change, and you can't expect the Tories to play by rules that don't exist.

No, I guess it's too much to ask them to behave in the manner they espoused a scant few months ago. That would be too much of a stretch. Power is an amazing thing, isn't it?

Can you IMAGINE what Harper would have said, if the Liberals had appointed a non-elected person to cabinet?