Conservative Child Care; Oops there is none

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
OTTAWA — Some provincial ministers who helped the federal Liberals forge the beginnings of a national child-care system say the Conservative plan to scrap the program will hurt working parents who need quality care for their children.

Joanne Crofford, Saskatchewan's Minister of Community Resources and Employment, said this week that the Conservative decision to cancel, after one year, bilateral child-care agreements with the provinces that were worth a combined $4.8-billion over five years will cause "huge" problems.

"The whole country spent a year agreeing on a vision for child care in Canada. This was not a small process. This was a large process that engaged every province and territory, that engaged hundreds of stakeholder groups, parents et cetera. And the prevailing view was that we needed a child-care system in Canada," Ms. Crofford said.

"Whether full-time or part-time, most parents choose to work. And, in order to do that, they need to know that their children have safe, affordable child care that provides them with the same developmental opportunities that they would have had at home."

Advertisements

At his first press conference since winning the election, prime-minister-designate Stephen Harper said he believes his party's decision to replace the Liberal child-care plan with direct, taxable payments to parents of $1,200 annually for every child under six years of age is extremely popular.

"I do believe Canadian parents and families expect us to deliver on this," said Mr. Harper, "and, frankly, expect Parliament as a whole to deliver them that benefit."

In addition to the subsidy for parents, the Conservatives say they will give tax credits to help employers and non-profit associations create child-care spaces. But the opposition argues that the proposals will not provide enough affordable, quality spaces.

Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba, which signed five-year funding agreements with the Liberals in addition to the agreements in principle with all of the provinces, have indicated no eagerness to see them cancelled.

Quebec Premier Jean Charest has asked Mr. Harper to abide by the agreement that was signed with his province, saying that the new government is welcome to give families $1,200 per child as long as those payments do not undermine the existing deal.

"I expect Mr. Harper to respect the agreement that we have signed with the federal government. If Mr. Harper chooses to do more, that will be his decision," Mr. Charest said at a news conference.

Christine Melnick, Manitoba's Minister of Family Services and Housing, has also said that she would not object to new payments for parents, but wants existing deals to continue. And Mary Anne Chambers, Ontario's Minister of Children and Youth Services, said scrapping current agreements would be "disastrous, really."

"I have to hope that the fact that three provinces -- Manitoba, Quebec and Ontario -- have those five-year agreements means something to this [federal] government, because this is not about the governments of Manitoba, Quebec and Ontario. It is about the people of those provinces who have said we need this."

The Conservatives, who have yet to appoint a minister responsible for child care, could not find someone in their party to comment this week on whether their plan has room for negotiation. But Progressive Conservative Senator Lowell Murray predicted the Senate could take a closer look at the issue if the Commons agrees to break the signed agreements.

"All provinces signed agreements and, as far as I know, there's only one or two of them that believe it's all right for Mr. Harper to unilaterally abrogate those agreements in favour of reviving a baby bonus. So I think we have to look at that," he said. But, as he pointed out, not all provinces are unhappy.

Joan MacAlpine-Styles, New Brunswick's Minister of Family and Community Services, said cancelling the agreements should pose no problem for her province, the last to sign on to the Liberal plan.

"The new government hasn't been sworn in yet, so it's a little premature to say, like Chicken Little, the sky is falling . . . ," Ms. MacAlpine-Styles said. "This is going to be a challenge, I know. It always is. And you are never going to please everyone. But I believe we can put forth the best program possible for the children of New Brunswick."

Jody Korchinski, the communications director for Alberta Children's Services, would say only that minister Heather Forsyth is looking forward to meeting with the new federal cabinet minister.

Krista Grant, a communications adviser for David Morse, Nova Scotia's Minister of Community Services, said her province will have to abandon its five-year strategy. "Every bit of funding is positive," she said, "but we were working toward a five-year plan. And Jeannette MacAulay, the deputy minister of social services and seniors for Prince Edward Island, said her province will support any program that ensures good, affordable care.

But in Saskatchewan, Ms. Crofford says the Conservative plan comes up short. It costs $6,300 a year to pay for a quality licensed child-care space with trained staff, she said. "Of that, the province pays about $3,700, and the balance is paid by parents and by fundraising that the child care does. So the $1,200 figure is way, way, way short of what it actually costs."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060202.wxchildcare02/BNStory/National/

I hope you guys enjoy your beer and popcorn. :wink:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Jersay, how ever did you survive without a national day care program?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Well, in NB we never did receive the beneficience of the great father Martin, because our Premier is too stupid. But on the other hand, I don't really care, because we have been able to find good child care that meets our needs.

On the other hand, I do need someone to clean my house, and carry me up and down stairs. I wonder if there's a program for that?

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Thank god some sanity is being restored as to what federal governments should and shouldn't be involved in.

I get a kick out of the quote from the Saskatchewan minister. The NDP government in Saskatchewan is barely registering in the polls and going to be turfed. Even NDP politicos acknowledge Calvert is a cooked goose.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I have made this argument repeatedly, but here we go:

Martin's plan was idiotic, for the following reasons:

1. Money was to be given to the provinces, it may, or more probably would not have created many spaces.

2. Martin's plan was based on the Quebec model, which research has shown to be disproportionally used by affluent professionals, and is prohibitively expensive.

3. Martin's plan does little to help the working poor. Very few working poor work at 8 to 5 jobs. Most work retail or service industries, that require their employees services outside the Monday to Friday, 8 to 5 standard work day. Has anyone EVER heard of a daycare that works outside these hours? This is a good part of the reason even cheap daycare is over-used by affluent professionals.....it ain't open when poor people need it.

4. Martin's plan does nothing for stay-at-home parents.

Harper's plan is better, it helps those that need it, his incentives for business to create on-site daycare means more spaces that will be open when needed, and we are not pouring money into provincial coffers to create a welfare program used mainly by the well-to-do.

I can't see why people would oppose that.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Hey, stop being so reasonable!! C'mon, say something so I can send the lot of you to the Wreck Beach room for a nekkedly brawling free-for-all. :D

Okay, okay, I'm kidding.

*sigh* :lol: :lol:

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
RE: Conservative Child Ca

The Québec plan works for Québec, where the reality here is that in most families, both Parents work full time. The created our child care program because their was a huge lack of spaces and the costs for private daycare was an all time high.

The new childcare program is applauded in Québec has a huge succes by everyone. Business leaders, politicians, families, parents.. everyone.

The federal government signed a deal with Québec. If it backs down, Charest is gonna be forced to wage war. And theirs, Fiscal Imbalance negotiations comming up. Something that if Harper can't deliver to a Federalist government, the conservatives will plundge again.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
After the war when my grandfather decided to settle in the city he took a position as a milk man. He started out by delivering milk in a horse drawn wagon and ended his career in the early 80s as a dairy production mgr. During this time he took some odd carpentry jobs to help the family but was able to purchase a nice new suburban home for the time with double garage, own a car and truck/camper, raise four children with a homemaker wife and save for retirement and travel. He owned the latest gadgets of the day such as a TV and later microwave and VCR and paid for all his family's healthcare until the later years.

He was able to do this because taxes combined constituted roughly 16% of his total income in the 50s and 60s placing taxes well behind food clothing and shelter as an expense for the middle class. Today it has skyrocketed to almost 50% (GST, PST, municipal, provincial, federal, gas, sin etc) in Alberta on the low end and over 60% in Quebec and NFLD on the high side. It matters not that people earn more when the fact of the matter is they turn over a higher percentage of their earnings to pay taxes.

This has resulted in the modern dual earner income family struggling under an enormous tax burden. Government child care actually makes the problem worse. The solution is not to tax all the people more to pay for some of the people's childcare but instead to seek ways to reduce the tax obligations for everyone and reducing the percentage of their income paid to the government thereby freeing either one spouse to stay home or the ability to afford extra help.

We need to return to the basics of government services and let the free market take care of the rest on a user pay basis. The current system of our indentured servitude to government programs is destroying us physically, mentally and emotionally.