U.S. right-winger tells Harper to combat Canadian culture

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
WASHINGTON — A prominent U.S. right-wing commentator has welcomed the election victory of Stephen Harper and the Conservatives, expressing hope that the prime-minister-designate will work to eradicate the "cultural Marxism" he says infests the neighbour to the north.

In an on-line commentary published on his website, Paul Weyrich, chairman of the Free Congress Foundation, said that he hopes Mr. Harper will use the next four years to replace Liberal-named judges who back same-sex marriage and abortion with appointees who are more to his liking.

"As has been the case in the United States, cultural Marxism largely has been foisted upon Canada by the courts," Mr. Weyrich wrote, drawing a parallel with the right-wing analysis of what ails America. "If judges who respect the Constitution were to be appointed, they would confirm that such rights are not to be found in that document. Sound familiar?"

Yet Mr. Weyrich, 61, a veteran of the U.S. culture wars, said that despite his hopes for a sharp right turn in Canada, radical change could take a long time. "The people of Canada have become so liberal and hedonistic that the public ethic in the country immediately could not be reversed. But with leadership, it may well be possible to change the public ethic."

Advertisements

Mr. Weyrich acknowledges in the commentary that he evaded questions last week from Canadian journalists who called asking him about an e-mail he wrote to fellow conservatives urging them to stay mum if they were asked to comment on the coming Canadian vote.

In the e-mail, copies of which were obtained by The Globe and Mail and The Canadian Press, Mr. Weyrich said that voters in Canada had been led to believe that U.S. conservatives were "scary" so it would be best if right-wing leaders kept their mouths shut before crowing about a likely Tory win.

Last week, Mr. Weyrich declined to confirm that he wrote the e-mail and said he did not know Gerard Chipeur, the Calgary lawyer and Harper supporter who had asked Mr. Weyrich to get the no-interview message across to other U.S. conservatives.

But in this week's commentary, Mr. Weyrich recounted the story with some gloating. He explained how Mr. Chipeur had contacted him "out of concern for what the left-wing Canadian media could do to obtain from some unsuspecting United States conservative an off-the-charts quote which could be hung around Prime Minister-elect Stephen Harper's neck."

Mr. Weyrich described how he had asked his associate, Bob Thompson, to write up the e-mail seeking to muzzle his fellow conservatives until after the election, only to discover that the message had soon been leaked to the press.

"After speaking with two Canadian reporters, I chose not to return such telephone calls. In the end, there just wasn't enough there to make a fuss, although there was potential to blow this sky high. Conservatives did not conduct interviews. Small victory."

Mr. Weyrich compared Mr. Harper's win to a theoretical election victory for Senator Sam Brownback, a right-wing Republican from Kansas and anti-abortion activist, as governor of liberal Massachusetts.

He said that one Canadian Conservative had told him that at least 10 Liberals and some Bloc Québécois MPs would join with Mr. Harper and vote to reverse same-sex marriage in a free vote, convincing Mr. Weyrich that there are enough votes to overturn the same-sex marriage statute.

Mr. Weyrich said that Mr. Harper would greatly expand defence spending and that he opposes the Kyoto climate-change agreement and favours joining U.S. missile defence plans. Mr. Weyrich says, however, that Mr. Harper is unlikely to propose any anti-abortion legislation soon.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv....wxfreecongress27/BNStory/specialNewTory2006/

meitme

Nominee Member
Nov 1, 2005
RE: U.S. right-winger tells Harper to combat Canadian cultur

luckily i don't think harper will be able to do any of the extreme things he wants to do because he has a minotiry. if he does something too stupid he will get killed.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Re: U.S. right-winger tells Harper to combat Canadian cultur

Nice Meitme....
luckily i don't think harper will be able to do any of the extreme things he wants to do because he has a minotiry. if he does something too stupid he will get killed.

Geez next the Globe and Mail will be printing Pat Robertson or Pat Buchanan or Rush Limbaugh.

Jersay seems to be doing a pretty good job of spreading hysteria himself with the topic article.

Talk about wanting to stir up the Canadian people against the newly elected Harper before he has found the men's loo!

Boy Canada do you ever need a good communications system up there..aren't there any agencies who are dedicated to facts these days without a political agenda?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine

Geez next the Globe and Mail will be printing Pat Robertson or Pat Buchanan or Rush Limbaugh.

Jersay seems to be doing a pretty good job of spreading hysteria himself with the topic article.

Talk about wanting to stir up the Canadian people against the newly elected Harper before he has found the men's loo!

Boy Canada do you ever need a good communications system up there..aren't there any agencies who are dedicated to facts these days without a political agenda?

We got a good communication system.

For a fact, harper was a radical, he might have changed, he might have not, however, it is kind of suspicious that right-wing hardliners in America want to start talking to him.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca

considering the globe endorsed Harper in an editorial....

the conservatives are good at consealed agendas. it is in their nature, one could say.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: U.S. right-winger tells Harper to combat Canadian cu

meitme said:

By who?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

I should have guessed....

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca

darn americans... always plotting to secretly overthrow other governments.....

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006

Wednesday's Child said:
Nice Meitme....

What hysteria, those are pretty much facts, Harper is against SSM and does not support support a womens right to choose. He is against Kyoto, pro ABM shield. etc...

That he wont bring up abortion this time to try and get a majority next time so he has carte blanche should be no surprise to anyone.

Harpers answer to anything he holds a controversial opinion is to say it is a free vote:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/election/national/2004/06/03/newelexnharptax040603.html

Harper also reiterated that his government would not introduce abortion or capital punishment legislation but would allow a free vote on the issue if an MP introduced a private member's bill.

Asked how he would vote on a private member's bill on abortion Harper was vague, saying he'd have to see the legislation first.

I consider myself a centerist mostly, but if I had a tilt it would be to the left. Harper is too far right for me. I would not vote for someone who wasn't pro choice, because I don't think the state should force it's will on personal decisions.
To me there are two repugnant positions here. The State forcing people to not have abortions, or the state forcing people to have abortions. Both are equally repugnant to me. The state should stay out of it and let people make this difficult decision themselves.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: U.S. right-winger tells Harper to combat Canadian cu

ElPolaco said:
the caracal kid said:
darn americans... always plotting to secretly overthrow other governments.....

The US overthrowing govts!? Does a bear...

We went over this the other day, bears prefer to poop in open spaces, not in the woods. :)