Thank You From Paul Martin

As Prime Minister, how well did the Rt. Hon. Paul Martin serve?

• He should be remembered as having been "excellent"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He should be remembered as having been "good"

• He should be remembered as having been "average"

• He should be remembered as having been "poor"

• He should be remembered as having been "terrible"

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
After having decided to resign as the leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, the Right Honourable Paul Martin issued a statement to the people of Canada and his supporters and campaign workers in respect of his term, and the consecutive terms of the Liberal Government of Canada.

The Rt. Hon. Paul Martin said:
Dear Friends:

At the end of a tremendous campaign I want to thank each and every one of you for your hard work and support. I am so proud of what we have accomplished – in eight weeks and 18 months – for Canada and for Canadians.

The economy has never been stronger. Last month the national rate of unemployment reached a 30 year low. We delivered 8 balanced budgets in a row. We have paid down $60 billion in debt while easing the tax burden on every Canadian. These are impressive numbers – but consider what they represent: for Canadians today it is easier to find work and to pay the bills, easier to afford a home. It's easier to bring up families and to provide for them.

We all worked hard for this and we should all be proud. But what we should be proud of most of all is that we didn't take any of this for granted – we built on it. We accepted our prosperity and we reinvested it – in one another, in Canada.

Working with the provinces, working together we laid the foundation for a national program for early learning and child care – the first new social program in a generation. We strengthened our public health care system – lowering wait times, expanding access to hospitals, extending research. We set aside millions to clean up our rivers and streams, lakes and oceans; and billions more in new technologies and new ideas to deal with climate change. We brought the cities and communities we live in to the national table. We invested in their needs directly.

We reached an historic agreement with First Nation, Métis and Inuit leaders to raise the living standards of Aboriginal Canadians. We stood up for the Charter of Rights and Freedoms – declaring that every person's rights should be protected. We stood on the world stage and spoke with a clear, strong voice, and acted with compassion, generosity and resolve in the face of need, in the face of tragedy.

We have done all this looking forward. Because we in Canada believe that what we represent is where the world is going. A country that will never stray from the values on which it was founded: mutual respect, fairness and generosity. A country where every person has an equal opportunity – to contribute and to benefit from our collective prosperity.

We have accomplished so much. We have prepared Canada for great things. We did it together.

Thank you.
Yes, the Liberal Government of Canada had its faults; several of them. Sometimes they outright failed on certain issues — but Mr. Martin is right. They did do some great things for Canada and its people.

I look forward to supporting the Liberal Party of Canada while they renew themselves as Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, and hope that this election marks a new age of co-operation and respect between our nation's honourable parties.

Thank you, Mr. Martin, for having served your country.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
He will be remembered mostly as a Finance Minister.

His time as PM was too short to have a lasting memory. How well do people remember Campbell or Turner?

As to his letter, i would question at least one of his claims put forth in it.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Yes, he was a good finance minister and will be remembered for his balancing of the budget, however Martin will go down as a failure as the PM.

I doubt ten years from now anyone will give a damn, let alone remember him.......a finance minister rarely becomes an figure of history

Kellen

Nominee Member
Sep 26, 2005
Calgary, Alberta
I think he did alright given the mess that he inherited from Chretien. IMO, two words can sum up his prime ministership, damage control.

He was a far better Finance Minister than Prime Minister.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
I always saw Martin as trying to please everyone and following anything that was popular. He tryed to do everything and thus ended up with nothing to show in the end..........

I would advise Mr Harper to stay on track and follow through on his "5 priorities" that he outlined. I belive if he does so while keeping our economy healthy he will have the opportunity to become a popular PM, and win the strong Majority next time round.

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
I picked average. He'll be rememberred as a good/excellent Finance Minister, but as a poor/terrible Prime Minister. I think that this will "cancel out" in the minds of historians, leaving him as "average".

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
He should be remembered as "excellent"......as finance minister. "pointless" as PM, if that's a possibility.

Remember how everyone thinks GWBush wanted to be President because his father was? Well, Paul Martin wanted to be PM because his father WASN'T. And not for any other particular reason. That's unfortunate, because as finance minister, he did good things.