Some credit for Paul Martin.

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
As many of you know, I'm not a big Paul Martin fan.

I felt that he was an excellent Finance Minister, but a very poor Canadian Prime Minister. Most of all, I didn't care for him as a person at all. I found his talk of "values", and "unCanadian", to be highly divisive, and actually quite exclusionary. I found it terribly disrespectful towards large portions of the Canadian population.
I felt that his campaign was dirty, slimey, and sleazy (to put it mildly ;) ). Nonetheless... I'll give him some credit. He was classy, selfless, and wise last night.

By stepping aside as leader of his party, he has done much to strengthen his own party, as well as Canada. Canada needs a change in political atmosphere, if nothing else, and I think that Paul Martin finally realized that after last night. Perhaps, one can hope, he learned that all of his devisive talk of "values", and "unCanadian", were not good for Canada, and what we needed was less fight and spite, and more concensus and unity.

His party needs fresh blood at the helm. It needs someone Trudeau-esque, but also someone not from the Trudeau-Chretien-Martin line. Perhaps Michael Ignatieff can be that person. Perhaps not. In any event, the sense of entitlement should now be gone in Ottawa. The Conservatives have a slim minority, and must know that they will need to earn their keep. The Liberals are now the opposition, and now know that they will need to truly reach out to voters and all Canadians, in order to win. The NDP has grown, and can perhaps dream of being more than a third party one day. The Bloc are on the decline, and can't count on Quebec always going their way.

So, I will give Paul Martin credit for going out in a classy and responsible fashion. If only he had governed in such a fashion, perhaps I could have voted for him and his party.

poligeek

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
Toronto
Martin probably would never have gotten my vote. I agree that I held him in more skepticism than most Liberals in the past, as a person he came across as personally-ambitious with the goal of being Canada's Prime Minister for his own notority. But I also agree that he did the best thing by stepping down last night... that party, regardless of where you stand on the political landscape desperately needs to step back, take some time and rebuild.

animator

Dec 27, 2005
poligeek said:
Martin probably would never have gotten my vote. I agree that I held him in more skepticism than most Liberals in the past, as a person he came across as personally-ambitious with the goal of being Canada's Prime Minister for his own notority. But I also agree that he did the best thing by stepping down last night... that party, regardless of where you stand on the political landscape desperately needs to step back, take some time and rebuild.

In 1991 the Canadian dollar was at .87, in 1993 (when Liberals took control) it was .77 and during the Liberal reign it dipped to .63 in 2002. It's back up to .76 in 2004. At the very least, the new govenment should be able to strengthen the currency. (http://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/etc/CADpages.pdf ) Martin, the finance minister, didn't do much for the Canadian dollar.

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
Poligeek - His fiscal record was sound, but his party had grown overly arrogant and corrupt, and he personally came across as unbelievably arrogant, and condescending, at times. Also, he didn't really accomplish much as Prime Minister.

Like yourself, I never saw why so many Liberals were so high on him as the next Prime Minister of Canada (a few years back). As I argued to them "just because he's a great Finance Minister doesn't mean he'll be a great Prime Minister; Martin lacks many of the things that you would want in a Prime Minister". However, I guess that they must have seen Paul Martin through rose-coloured glasses.

I myself could have voted for the Liberals if they had simply been more apologetic over their scandals, and more respectful to those who hold differing beliefs than they do. As is, they struck me as an arrogant bunch who actively crapped on those who disagreed with them, and hence were undeserving of being the governing party. If Paul Martin had been as classy through out his tenure as Prime Minister as he was last night, I could have voted for him. Of course, by the time this election had started, there was no question - I was voting against the Liberals.

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
Paul Martin is a self-centered ass who only had one goal... his own selfish ambition. Not an ambition to to do great but an ambition to gain, win and keep power...at any cost. Besmirching the image of our solders was disgusting.

He was a good finance minister. He was a lousy prime minister.

poligeek

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
Toronto
I don't know exactly how I got feeback on Martin's Fiscal policy not having commented on it....

Anyways, I agree I just don't think he governed with the level of dignity that is needed in the PMO.

It won't matter to the Liberals anyways since they really would have to do a tonne of work to get my vote.

But I will be watching with interest as they clean house and rebuild.