Martin's Leadership Resignation

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
On CPAC, just now, the Right Honourable Paul Martin announced that he would not be leading the Liberal Party of Canada during its next election campaign, in order to allow for the Grits to act as an effective Liberal Opposition.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Yes, it was quick.

He entered the PM's office on a bang, and left on a wimper.

Well, there was not much else left for him to do. A quick action clears the path for the party to rebuild.

Such is the way with the system that never sees true change.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well I'll give the devil his due. He bowed out the best he could. I think it's a sign of good things to come. New leadership a new face for the next election. Will help them regain the minority government. I really hope someone progressive will take his lead and not a fiscal conservative like Martin.

jerry

Jan 17, 2006
I thought he would finish his job of destroying the liberal party. I guess he figured he had done enough.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
jerry said:
I thought he would finish his job of destroying the liberal party. I guess he figured he had done enough.

Paul Martin would have destoryed the Liberal party if he had stayed in. Before the election there were factions forming. Afterward.... damn it would have been fun to watch but he did the right thing. Hopefully they will find someone (Not Belinda) to take the lead.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Well he was shown playing cards all evening. He must have written his resignation speech weeks ago.
Lets hope the new leader is not another Ditherer.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
Finder said:
Paul Martin would have destoryed the Liberal party if he had stayed in. Before the election there were factions forming. Afterward.... damn it would have been fun to watch but he did the right thing. Hopefully they will find someone (Not Belinda) to take the lead.

I watched his speech. The best of the campaign, very gracious in defeat, he did the right thing, but I really think he got a raw deal.

Belinda Ryan

Nov 28, 2005
I think we are a bit harsh on Martin.. after all.. he inherited Chretians mess.. he was just the fall guy in this....

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Paul Martin didn't help himself by being so arrogrant. Keeping the NDP backing him in the last parliment would have been an easy job. But he felt having the opisition bring him down before xmas instead of taking the NDP's offer on both healthcare and then when it was too late, to take the NDP's solution to holding elections in feb, they got arrogent on the outcome and lost it.

I think the Liberals will re-take a minority government with new leadership.

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
RE: Martin's Leadership R

if the conservatives fudge things up like they always do we shall see another 13 years of liberal rule shortly

poligeek

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
Toronto
I hope we see a real change in the system before the next election, but then that is a long shot. Canadian History would make it probable that we will see at least 2 terms of Liberals in office after the conservatives, it would be interesting if Canada continues our minority trend.

I don't feel too sympathetic towards Martin, although he did do the right thing in the end. I think from well before Chretian stepped down Martin was after the PM position and would stop at almost nothing to get it... I think his over ambition was his downfall, and he did govern like he had a full mandate, and was too arrogant for a minority government.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I'm sad to see him go....it's better the devil you know.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Your time will come....Isn't you that tells little Ol' me that patience is a virtue? :p

cyberclark

Electoral Member
Martin got a raw deal all over. Flags of convenience being run as foreign ownership for one. The RCMP jumping into the election in a public manners is another. Hell look at Alberta billions gone out the window, a quite investigation and nothing said to any one. Partisan? Yes, I think so.

I have made a number of predictions about Harper's direction. Many of thoes will line up with Duceppe's ideals. Time to watch the play and keep an eye on the grey suits in the back.

Wait for the ATCO's and the Bechtels to claim ownerhips in their areas; the Agri Food industry moving fast to export water. Quick permits given for environment where it is for electrial or resouce exports.

It will be interesting to see what he can do for our failing manufacturing industry and Quebec's all but failed fabric and tailoring business.

Yup 2 asprins and another sleep.

Oh' I have been hit with a crapload of virus loaded emails. Some people carry a grudge I think. One guy sent 20 with netsky in them. Keep your virus definitions up to date people! In my case they somehow got past Shaw's virus scan. Now, that is curious!

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
RE: Martin's Leadership R

I agree about Dion, Manley, McKenna,...but i truly cannot see Belinda at all.

The one thing i was sort of wondering today...do you think that Paul Martin deliberately threw the election so that he would have to retire? In all my years, i have never seen such a shitty campaign by the Liberals. Makes me wonder....

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Martin's Leadership Resignation

the caracal kid said:
One of today's news-stories listed Stronach, McKenna, and Manly as top potentials.

Stronach - too shallow, too inexperienced
Manley - 'The Man From Bland', makes Harper look like a rock star, isn't he crosseyed
McKenna - sharp, intelligent, pitbull. He'd have my vote anyday.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now