Honest opinions here....

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
Does anyone here think that despite all the polls and the media coverage, that the Liberal Party will win, vis a vis either a minority or majority government on Monday?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I do. For some reason I think that many "decided" voters are going to jump to the status quo when they get to the booth; I would assert that this happens, to a degree, on each and every election.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
RE: Honest opinions here.

Nope, not a chance. A Liberal minority at this point would be an unbelieably stunning turnaround. This is not 2004.

The only question is how big the Conservative government. How many people change their vote or decide in the booth? I wouldn't go till my mind was made up, which it has been for some time. By now I think everyone is pretty much set, unless new facts were revealed...

KanBob

Nominee Member
Jan 11, 2006
Alberta
From Darryl Bricker of IPSO

Reality Check Time.

First, can I get a little shout out on what I said about the volatility of polls this week. I said it was a 10 pt gap for the last two weeks, and that the fluctuations were myths, and the last round of polling shows exactly that. I don't know what happened at the other research houses but it wasn't pretty. I'm not going to criticize anybody, but I'm sure not going to defend them either. They've got a lot of explaining to do.

As for seat counts, the overnights have the NDP and Tories coming down a smidge, but not enough to change anything. I'm suspecting that the Tories will be in the mid-140s, the Grits will be around 60, the Dips will be mid-30s, and the Bloc around 60.

As for all those who are predicting anything other than a Tory win, you're just paranoid. There's going to be no big rush to save Martin. If anything, the Grits may leak a few more votes to the NDP, especially in Ontario.

On a majority, without a breakthrough (say 10+ seats) for the Tories in Quebec, or a breakthrough in the 416 it's out of reach. Sorry, dems da facts.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
If the >Liberals pull this out somehow, then you can pretty much be assured that not only will Quebec separatism sentiment rise, but so will at least Alberta separation sentiment. Do not underestimate this, because it is there, just below the surface, and if the Liberals win, many including me, will have had enough. After trying to change the country using the electoral system and failing time after time, many of us will decide that being on our own is far preferable to belonging to a country that will reelect a party that has been proven guilty of corruption, lying, and stealing. I will not be leaving my country, my country will have left me, and the thousands of others who feel as I do.

As a result, I am somewhat calm about the whole thing. To me, this election is somewhat of a win-win situation. We either get an honest and responsible federal government, or we have the opportunity to legitimatly push for independence. Either way, we win.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
RE: Honest opinions here.

Win win for Alberta and Quebec separatist that is.

Devolution of powers is step 1.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There is a fairly reliable poll

coming out at eight PM in B.C.. We may not all like it but it will be mostly over but the shouting, well, most of the shouting... :wink:

TinMan

Jan 23, 2006
Just out of curiosity bluealberta why does "corruption, lying, and stealing" on a national front offend you so terribly yet you can completely ignore the same traits in your own province???

TinMan

Jan 23, 2006
Just out of curiosity bluealberta why does "corruption, lying, and stealing" on a national front offend you so terribly yet you can completely ignore the same traits in your own province???

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Honest opinions here.

Freethinker said:

It's a win for every self respecting province.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Some of the Conservative supporters

are shouting like they just won a landslide when, in fact, the difference was about twenty closely fought seats.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
Re: RE: Honest opinions here.

Jay said:
Freethinker said:

It's a win for every self respecting province.

In the words of Gilles Duceppe:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canadavotes2006/national/2006/01/24/martin_concedes060124.html
"If he truly wants to settle the fiscal imbalance, and if he really gave Quebec its place in the national arena, he will find the Bloc Québécois at his side," the Bloc leader said.

"Everything that moves Quebec forward makes us much closer to sovereignty."

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I suppose Quebec would be a self respecting province...

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
#juan said:
Some of the Conservative supporters

are shouting like they just won a landslide when, in fact, the difference was about twenty closely fought seats.

I hope I'm not leaving you with that impression, Juan.

Am I happy? Very, But this isn't a landslide victory. What it is is the slow move to the right the country is making....

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Jay said:
What it is is the slow move to the right the country is making....

I see it a little differently that a slight move to the right, but that it's just wobbleing in the middle. :lol: Left, Right, left, left, right, right...and so on and so forth.

Personally I'm satisfied with the election resutls...I got what I wanted out of it:

-My party gained more seats
-The bloc lost seats
-and as far a Harper being the PM, I didn't really give a sh!t who won. It was going to be either or anyways, and as a minority gov't as I had said in October. My goal was achieved by seeing the NDP gain some seats which in the end does help things out in the house. The Bloc losing a few was just a bonus feature :lol: