Who are the next potential Liberal Party leaders.

Freethinker
Who is next on deck for the Liberals after this elections poor showing?

MMMike
Michael Ignatief.... John Manley.... Frank McKenna.... a few that jump to mind. I'd love to see Frank take a run. He did great as premier of N.B.... also grew up in the same small town as I did!

Jersay
I don't really think that they really have a good leader candidate.

Manley wants integration with America. He is a suck-up.

Igantief, also seems to like the war in Iraq and other things that wouldn't bode well.

The only one i think would be a good choice out of those three would be Mckenna.

However, Mark Garneau could be a choice. That would be my choice, or maybe Daniel Igali, I think i got his name wrong, the boker who won gold for Canada.

the caracal kid
Of those listed so far, the only one I can really comment on is Manley. I will say I prefer him OUT of politics.

Citizen
Agreed! Manley? har har

Don't be surprised to see Stronach make a bid for the leadership.

Jersay
Yeah, Manley should stay far, far away.

I do like the idea of Mark Garneau or Daniel Igali running the place. I think it is time for a Black Prime Minister, does Canada have any laws against foreigners running the country.

I guess not because the first two Prime Ministers at least were foreign.

Jersay
Irwin Cotler, isn't he a possibility.

I think, Cotler, Igali, and Garenau would be good choices.

Freethinker
Igali the wrestler? I think even Garneau would have little chance at it(looks like he won't even win his seat), but a former wrestler brings even less to the table. Cotler has the credetials, but I don't know if he has the presence, I haven't seen him speak.

Tresson
I've heard a few people mention that Ken Dryden might have a good shot at the job if he wants it.

Jersay
Quote:

Igali the wrestler? I think even Garneau would have little chance at it(looks like he won't even win his seat), but a former wrestler brings even less to the table. Cotler has the credetials, but I don't know if he has the presence, I haven't seen him speak.

Jack Layton won the NDP leadership and he didn't have a seat left.

Ken Dryden might be a good choice.

But I do think Igali could be a choice. He is quiet but thoughtful when he speaks, when I saw him campaign in the provincial election he was pretty good, too bad he lost.

Cotler, spoke with those other Quebec ministers just the other day.

And I still think Garneau would be a choice, seat or no seat.

nitzomoe
I hope to god Ignatieff doesnt even show his face after his miserable usurping of a candidates riding. His ideas on civil liberties adn torture are suspect and if he was made party leader the liberals mite as well call it quits, nobody will vote for them. Ignatieffwould make a good consevative though

Jersay

Yeah I am actually surprised that he is running for the Liberals. I guess at the time, it looked like it would have been easy for him to win or something.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump ship or go back to America after this election.

Good Riddence.

Semperfi_dani
Well we are pushing the cart before the horse here....but...

I would say Manley maybe if he had stayed in politics after Martin took over the reigns..but he bailed. So while I personally like him, i just can't see him being successful overall.

McKenna maybe, but i think he has more appeal down east than west...

Irwin Colter i think would be great, but he doesnt strike me as overly passionate or interested.

I will just put the athletes and astronauts to the side as a non-consideration :P

Belinda would be an ABSOLUTE NOOOOO. Nada. Nyet. She would get slaughtered.

Ralph Goodale would make a good PM, but this Income Trust scandle will hurt him making it more unlikely.

If Anne McLellan wins this election, she might be a strong contender..don't count her out.

I think Scot Brison would make a great leader, so if he survives this election, he would probably make a run for it. He did well in his Cabinet postion..but Canada is not ready for a Gay PM.

Now with all of the above mentioned...the person that will become leader...Brian Tobin. End of discussion.

Jersay
No, not Brian Tobin.

Semperfi_dani
Oh yes...it will be Brian Tobin. Mark my word on it. At the very least, he will make a run for it, and assuming Manley does not run, he will have the silent backing of the mass of Chretien supporters. Again..assuming Manley doesn't run.

Semperfi_dani
Keep in mind...depending if the Liberals lose, and assuming they will based on polls and what not, especially to a majority PC government...than the Liberal Party will have to decide if they want to go the unsuccessful Martin supporters route, or go back to the Truduea/Chretien type of Liberal.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Semperfi_dani

Oh yes...it will be Brian Tobin. Mark my word on it. At the very least, he will make a run for it, and assuming Manley does not run, he will have the silent backing of the mass of Chretien supporters. Again..assuming Manley doesn't run.

Clyde Wells said:

"You could walk through the deepest thoughts Brian Tobin ever had......and not get your ankles wet."

Semperfi_dani
Name a Liberal leader in the last 30 years whose thoughts have been deep? :P Why have deep thought when the polls will decide for you what they should be.... :P

Freethinker

Keep in mind...depending if the Liberals lose, and assuming they will based on polls and what not, especially to a majority PC government...than the Liberal Party will have to decide if they want to go the unsuccessful Martin supporters route, or go back to the Truduea/Chretien type of Liberal.

You equate Trudeau and Chretien? I never like Chretien, I loved Trudeau, but wasn't old enough to vote for him. I first voted in 84 after he retired. All I remember about Chretien is him being almost invisible and evasive when he was visible.

I don't know much about Tobin.

sanch
Trudeau was great. People don't realize what an admired country Canada was in the seventies.

Semperfi_dani
I am not saying that Trudeau was not great. But there is a fundamental split in he Liberal Party (that has been there for a loong time). The best example of that split is what I refer to as Pearson's boys (Trudeau, Chretien) and those that follow in that legacy ..particularly the one set out by Trudeau. Than there is the more conservative types like Martin and those that that don't suscripe the the Trudeau Legacy.

Which "liberal" is more successful both in the party and in the country is the successors of Trudeau, and now Chretien. As much as those try to distance themselves from Chretien..ultimately, the next Liberal leader that actually wins an election (presuming Paul Martin does not win this one) will be in that Trudeau/Chretien mold.

I just thought of another possible candidate.....Justin Trudeau? ...hmmmm. Maybe long term off, but it very well could be 5-10 years from now that an opportunity would come again for the Liberals if the Cons win the majority government, back to back no less.

Hank C
That idiot Buzz Hargrove should run for the Liberals

the caracal kid
Semper,

you just gave me a nightmare! I had the flash image of an election with Ben Mulroney vs Justin Trudeau as the main leaders.

eeeech!

Perhaps it is time for Spongebob Squarepants for one party and Tickle-me-Elmo for the other?

The system is too far gone to repair. We need a revolution.

Semperfi_dani
Hahahahaha...Caracal could you imagine it?
OMG..tooo funny.

jimmoyer
FPTP for SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS !!!

Freethinker

I am not saying that Trudeau was not great. But there is a fundamental split in he Liberal Party (that has been there for a loong time). The best example of that split is what I refer to as Pearson's boys (Trudeau, Chretien) and those that follow in that legacy ..particularly the one set out by Trudeau. Than there is the more conservative types like Martin and those that that don't suscripe the the Trudeau Legacy.

Could you be more specific. What specifically are the idealogical differences?

Martin being more to the right and more buisness friendly?

Semperfi_dani
Well its a percived difference admittedly. Martin and those "like Martin" seem to be more moderate conservative based thinking, particularly in concerns to the economy. They seem to be ..um..more moderate in their approach to social issues as well.

Like i said, its percieved differences. And if the differences were not there, than why else would there be this big divide between the Martin camp and the Chretien camp? Because there is a fundamental difference in the Liberal party..some go more moderate conservative..and some want to go more left of centre.

Freethinker

Well its a percived difference admittedly. Martin and those "like Martin" seem to be more moderate conservative based thinking, particularly in concerns to the economy. They seem to be ..um..more moderate in their approach to social issues as well.

Like i said, its percieved differences. And if the differences were not there, than why else would there be this big divide between the Martin camp and the Chretien camp? Because there is a fundamental difference in the Liberal party..some go more moderate conservative..and some want to go more left of centre.

I thought it was a plain old power struggle. They build supporters, and the supporters figure when their man wins they will be on the "in" team. I can detect no policy shift from Chretien to Martin. Martin ran essentially unchallenged in his leadership bid so it doesn't look like a large ideology split.

I think Martin got a raw deal here. I don't think he had anything to do with the sponsorship scandal, but that will never be a prevailing view. He is no longer an asset. I hope he has the good sense to resign without a fight and allow some renewal.

TinMan
What about Clyde Wells???

For pure entertainment value I'd vote for the man with the doo Pierre Pettigrew. It'd be funny but sad.

TenPenny
Brian Tobin won't run. He has too many skeletons in his closet. His day is past.

I hear lots about McKenna; I think he'd be a good choice, but it's important to have a race. (MMMike, you're from Apohaqui?)

Brison would never make it, since he's an ex-PC. That wouldn't fly.

Pettygrew (sp?) would take a run for it.
Dryden would probably consider it; he has name recognition, and is certainly a bright man.

I would say something like a McKenna vs Dryden race is possible.