Who are the next potential Liberal Party leaders.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Michael Ignatief.... John Manley.... Frank McKenna.... a few that jump to mind. I'd love to see Frank take a run. He did great as premier of N.B.... also grew up in the same small town as I did!

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I don't really think that they really have a good leader candidate.

Manley wants integration with America. He is a suck-up.

Igantief, also seems to like the war in Iraq and other things that wouldn't bode well.

The only one i think would be a good choice out of those three would be Mckenna.

However, Mark Garneau could be a choice. That would be my choice, or maybe Daniel Igali, I think i got his name wrong, the boker who won gold for Canada.

Citizen

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
Agreed! Manley? har har

Don't be surprised to see Stronach make a bid for the leadership.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Yeah, Manley should stay far, far away.

I do like the idea of Mark Garneau or Daniel Igali running the place. I think it is time for a Black Prime Minister, does Canada have any laws against foreigners running the country.

I guess not because the first two Prime Ministers at least were foreign.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
RE: Who are the next pote

Igali the wrestler? I think even Garneau would have little chance at it(looks like he won't even win his seat), but a former wrestler brings even less to the table. Cotler has the credetials, but I don't know if he has the presence, I haven't seen him speak.

Tresson

Nominee Member
Apr 22, 2005
I've heard a few people mention that Ken Dryden might have a good shot at the job if he wants it.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Igali the wrestler? I think even Garneau would have little chance at it(looks like he won't even win his seat), but a former wrestler brings even less to the table. Cotler has the credetials, but I don't know if he has the presence, I haven't seen him speak.

Jack Layton won the NDP leadership and he didn't have a seat left.

Ken Dryden might be a good choice.

But I do think Igali could be a choice. He is quiet but thoughtful when he speaks, when I saw him campaign in the provincial election he was pretty good, too bad he lost.

Cotler, spoke with those other Quebec ministers just the other day.

And I still think Garneau would be a choice, seat or no seat.

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto

I hope to god Ignatieff doesnt even show his face after his miserable usurping of a candidates riding. His ideas on civil liberties adn torture are suspect and if he was made party leader the liberals mite as well call it quits, nobody will vote for them. Ignatieffwould make a good consevative though

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
:wink:

Yeah I am actually surprised that he is running for the Liberals. I guess at the time, it looked like it would have been easy for him to win or something.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump ship or go back to America after this election.

Good Riddence.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

Well we are pushing the cart before the horse here....but...

I would say Manley maybe if he had stayed in politics after Martin took over the reigns..but he bailed. So while I personally like him, i just can't see him being successful overall.

McKenna maybe, but i think he has more appeal down east than west...

Irwin Colter i think would be great, but he doesnt strike me as overly passionate or interested.

I will just put the athletes and astronauts to the side as a non-consideration :p

Belinda would be an ABSOLUTE NOOOOO. Nada. Nyet. She would get slaughtered.

Ralph Goodale would make a good PM, but this Income Trust scandle will hurt him making it more unlikely.

If Anne McLellan wins this election, she might be a strong contender..don't count her out.

I think Scot Brison would make a great leader, so if he survives this election, he would probably make a run for it. He did well in his Cabinet postion..but Canada is not ready for a Gay PM.

Now with all of the above mentioned...the person that will become leader...Brian Tobin. End of discussion.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

Oh yes...it will be Brian Tobin. Mark my word on it. At the very least, he will make a run for it, and assuming Manley does not run, he will have the silent backing of the mass of Chretien supporters. Again..assuming Manley doesn't run.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

Keep in mind...depending if the Liberals lose, and assuming they will based on polls and what not, especially to a majority PC government...than the Liberal Party will have to decide if they want to go the unsuccessful Martin supporters route, or go back to the Truduea/Chretien type of Liberal.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Who are the next pote

Semperfi_dani said:
Oh yes...it will be Brian Tobin. Mark my word on it. At the very least, he will make a run for it, and assuming Manley does not run, he will have the silent backing of the mass of Chretien supporters. Again..assuming Manley doesn't run.

Clyde Wells said:

"You could walk through the deepest thoughts Brian Tobin ever had......and not get your ankles wet." :D

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

Name a Liberal leader in the last 30 years whose thoughts have been deep? :p Why have deep thought when the polls will decide for you what they should be.... :p

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
Re: RE: Who are the next pote

Semperfi_dani said:
Keep in mind...depending if the Liberals lose, and assuming they will based on polls and what not, especially to a majority PC government...than the Liberal Party will have to decide if they want to go the unsuccessful Martin supporters route, or go back to the Truduea/Chretien type of Liberal.

You equate Trudeau and Chretien? I never like Chretien, I loved Trudeau, but wasn't old enough to vote for him. I first voted in 84 after he retired. All I remember about Chretien is him being almost invisible and evasive when he was visible.

I don't know much about Tobin.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Trudeau was great. People don't realize what an admired country Canada was in the seventies.