National Post [5]
The Province (Vancouver) [6]
Vancouver Sun [7]
Windsor Star [8]

Endorsing the NDP

Endorsing the Bloc Quebecois

Le Devoir (Montreal)

Endorsing the Greens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper_endorsements_in_the_Canadian_federal_election,_2006

That's why we see glowing Conservative articles in the paper. It is all rigged towards the right.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Endorsement

In my opinion, newspapers should be legislatively restricted from endorsing political parties; in particular, during an election campaign. To do so, in my opinion, is an irresponsible practice — our citizens in the media should strive to present us the facts with as little bias as possible.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
It amazes me FiveParadox how someone that is all for free speech wants restrictions on everything. You condone hate laws, you have no problem with your government banning books at the border and now you want restrictions on who newspapers endorse. What's wrong with this picture?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Clarification of Points

I think not, I was referring in particular to "restrictive guidelines" during an election campaign. In terms of free speech, you likely are aware that I do not support the "I can say whatever I want to" interpretation of free speech; rather, I support the "I can say whatever I want to, so long as I speak responsibly" interpretation; which, I would assert, is the "version" currently upheld by our Supreme Court of Canada.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
In other words FiveParadox you support the government in deciding what is right and what is wrong for people to say, is that an accurate statement?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: Endorsement

FiveParadox said:
In my opinion, newspapers should be legislatively restricted from endorsing political parties; in particular, during an election campaign. To do so, in my opinion, is an irresponsible practice — our citizens in the media should strive to present us the facts with as little bias as possible.

I strongly disagree.

First of all, freedom of speech means the government has NO right to tell a private enterprize what to say, or what not to say.

Secondly, I much prefer to know the bias of the organ I am reading..........that way I can judge how to take the articles.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: Clarification of Points

FiveParadox said:
I think not, I was referring in particular to "restrictive guidelines" during an election campaign. In terms of free speech, you likely are aware that I do not support the "I can say whatever I want to" interpretation of free speech; rather, I support the "I can say whatever I want to, so long as I speak responsibly" interpretation; which, I would assert, is the "version" currently upheld by our Supreme Court of Canada.

If so, the SCOC badly needs to be taken to the woodshed and horsewhipped.

I like the traditional definition of free speech......you can say what you like, you just can't yell "fire" in a crowded theatre.

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
The newsletter of the 'Brotherhood of Bipolar Jewell Thieves' has endorsed the NDP.

The announcement came today after Jack Layton gave Svend 'Sicky Fingers' Robinson a big hug in Vancouver and said he was proud to have Svend representing the values of the NDP party.

One Reporter at the scene was slow getting out the story as he misread the time after complaining that his watch was missing.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Interesting to note that until recently, the Globe and Mail seemed slanted toward the Liberals.

It seemed to me that every headline was worded in a way that emphasized the Liberals. If, for example, the Conservatives were gaining in the polls, the headline would read "Liberals Lead Narrows", as opposed to now, it would read "Conservatives Make Big Gains".

Even when the article contained news that was positive for the Conservatives, the headline would mention the Liberals. I noticed this enough times that it was obvious to me. It only changed recently.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
The newsletter of the 'Brotherhood of Bipolar Jewell Thieves' has endorsed the NDP.

The announcement came today after Jack Layton gave Svend 'Sicky Fingers' Robinson a big hug in Vancouver and said he was proud to have Svend representing the values of the NDP party.

One Reporter at the scene was slow getting out the story as he misread the time after complaining that his watch was missing.

Yes, and I am sure the Hippie Times, is endorsing the Green Party.

cyberclark

Electoral Member
Some news papers are blatent in their coverage. The Edmonton Journal is pro Klein as an example which is really funny.

I posted a blog about the power lines south to Langon (Near Calgary) was going to cost 325 million dollars and gave Ralph heck because he didn't have a budget figure. In the same letter posted as a blog I suggested to Ralph we would like a "pictorial" of the line.

3 days later the Edmonton Journal came up with a head line 325 million dollar power line planned for Alberta. In the bottom corner of the page was a little pictorial taken off the AECO web site.

I totally guessed that figure and they all ran with it. It's my guess that it was less expensive than the real cost but the real reason was they were going ahead with a project with no costing in place!

There is a saying that the Government owns the Ink and as individuals we cannot out write the ink barrel :wink:

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
The odd thing is that many of the newspapers now supporting the CPC were left leaning. This includes the Edmonton Journal, the Calgary Herald, The Globe and Mail, and La Presse, to name a few. The Sun chain and the National Post have been more or less right leaning, but some of the others who now endorse the CPC are a surprise.

Paradox, your name is appopriate, if you do not think that newspapers in a free society should be able to endorse, editorially, the party they support. I support this even when papers do not support the party I happen to like, but then that still leaves me the opportunity to read only what supports my position, if I want to. Personally, I like to read papers with differing opinions editorially simply to get the other side of the story. Suggesting that the press be curtailed would leave you with Pravda, I guess. :roll:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
bluealberta, if the endorsement is limited to editorials, then I would be entirely in favour of the "free speech" flowing therefrom; however, during the Provincial Election in the Province of British Columbia, a Lower Mainland newspaper, The Province, took out a two-page add (from management) informing the voters of why they should vote for the Liberals. The paper was decidedly anti-NDP, inside its editorials and out.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Newspapers: Endorse Conservative

FiveParadox said:
bluealberta, if the endorsement is limited to editorials, then I would be entirely in favour of the "free speech" flowing therefrom; however, during the Provincial Election in the Province of British Columbia, a Lower Mainland newspaper, The Province, took out a two-page add (from management) informing the voters of why they should vote for the Liberals. The paper was decidedly anti-NDP, inside its editorials and out.

While I would not agree with a paper who did this, which in my mind is campaigning for a party, the alternative is, to me, worse. I guess if I disagreed strongly enough with this papers policy, I would let it be known by letters to the editor to all papers, not just this one, and by making sure that people knew about it. Taking out ads is over the top, I agree.

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
I agree with FiveParadox on this, and from a non-partisan position, and for different reasons. My own view is that a newspaper that endorses a particular candidate/party is likely to go a bit easy on that candidate/party if they're elected so as to prove that they were right for supporting him/her/them. If a non-endorsed candidate/party is elected, they're likely to go extra hard on that candidate/party to prove that the people should have elected the candidate/party that they were endorsing.

I wouldn't support having a law forbidding newspapers from endorsing particular candidates/parties, but I generally think that it's a bad policy for newspapers because it feeds into human ego in a way that could lead to biased coverage (one way or the other) after the election is said and done.