Liberals caught red handed in Saskatoon

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe..._060118A/20060119?s_name=election2006&no_ads=

Saskatoon election race turns downright nasty

An already tense race in the riding of Saskatoon-Wanuskewin has taken a downright nasty turn.

Liberal candidate Chris Axworthy has apologized to Conservative incumbent Maurice Vellacott after someone used a phone in Axworthy's campaign office to falsely accuse Vellacott of sexual assault on a live televised candidates' forum earlier this week.

Axworthy concedes the call came from his office but believes someone not connected to his campaign sneaked in and made the call.

But Vellacott insists that it was an Liberal supporter because someone he knows recognized the voice and says he's prepared to take legal action.

Axworthy -- a former Saskatchewan justice minister -- issued a statement Thursday afternoon apologizing and called the sex assault allegation "deplorable.''

"In as much as it appears that our phones were misused and that the comments were hurtful to Mr. Vellacott, I offer my heartfelt apologies,'' Axworthy said in the release.

"As anyone who has known my record in public life will attest, I do not campaign in this fashion or condone this type of conduct.''

The incident happened Tuesday night on Shaw Television, the local community station in Saskatoon.

Vellacott said a caller to the forum accused him of sexually assaulting his secretary while he worked as a pastor at Saskatoon's North Park Church.

Vellacott was a pastor before being elected as an MP in 1997, but maintains that he has never worked at North Park and most certainly has never been accused of sexual assault.

The caller was cut off by the station and Vellacott asked staff for the number from the call display.

When he returned to his office, Vellacott said he got a call from a viewer who said they were sure they recognized the voice on the phone as a "friend of Axworthy's.''

Shortly afterward, Vellacott discovered the number was listed to Axworthy's office.

"This floors me,'' Vellacott said in an interview. "I'm not a stranger to people saying disparaging things and unkind remarks and so on, but this is something of an altogether different matter.

"It's one thing for kind of slanderous things to be said, but this is moving an awful lot beyond the pale.''

In his statement, Axworthy said he talked to the supporter that Vellacott suspects made the call and he "steadfastly denies any involvement.''

Axworthy said his campaign office is "subject to heavy public traffic'' and there is a bank machine nearby.

"It is quite possible that a mischief-maker entered the headquarters and misused one of our phones.''

Axworthy also said if the call was made by a campaign worker, he is "unwelcome on my campaign.''

Vellacott, a three-term MP, is no stranger to headlines.

Co-chair of the parliamentary pro-life caucus, Vellacott was in the news just before the election for a private members' bill that called for police to lay a double murder charge if a pregnant woman is killed.

When former Conservative MP Belinda Stronach defected to the Liberals last spring, Vellacott drew fire for suggesting it was akin to political prostitution.

Despite some criticism, Vellacott has always been a popular MP in his riding, which includes the northwest corner of Saskatoon and a vast expanse of rural land to the north and west.

In 2004, Vellacott took 47 per cent of the vote and in 2000, as a member of the Canadian Alliance, he managed 53 per cent support.

This is Axworthy's second shot at unseating Vellacott. In 2004 he finished second, more than 4,500 votes back.

Axworthy was a well respected member of Roy Romanow's NDP provincial government before stepping aside in 2003 to return to his job as a lawyer. He returned to politics as a federal Liberal a year later.

Former Saskatoon mayor Jim Madden is running as the NDP candidate in the riding.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If Chris Axworthy did not make the call, then how could he be charged with any sort of crime for this? Furthermore, how can we discount that it was some mischief-maker who entered the headquarters? It sounds plausible.