A New Hope

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
well, that was silly.

Harper is worse than hope, his is a false hope. A better sign to hold up than that first one would be "go away harper, go away"

KanBob

Nominee Member
Jan 11, 2006
Alberta
Jersay said:
Exactly, it is finally coming out what Harper really wants especially what he said about the judiciary.

Let's just review, shall we? 89% of all political donations made by federal judicial appointees in Ontario since 1993 went to the Liberal Party of Canada. 92% of all political donations by federal judicial appointees in Quebec went to the Liberal Party of Canada. More than 60% of all federal judicial appointees in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba since 2000 donated exclusively to the Liberal Party of Canada in the three to five years before their appointment. Notice a pattern? (UPDATE: "Would you be surprised to find that almost all federal judges appointed from Saskatchewan are Liberal Party donors?" Why no, no I wouldn't.)

That judicial appointments have been routinely politicized, that the process is in dire need of reform, is only controversial to Liberal Justice ministers. Ask Jacob Ziegler, professor emeritus at the University of Toronto Law School, who has written extensively on the subject. Ask constitutional scholar Peter Russell, ditto. Ask former Conservative Justice minister John Crosbie.

Maybe all these people are wrong. But if there's no problem, why did the Canadian Bar Association recently recommend that "politicians and their partisan operatives should be barred from applying to join the federal judiciary for at least two years after they leave the political arena" (Ottawa Citizen, Oct. 31)? Why did a Commons subcommittee, including several Liberal members, table a unanimous report shortly before the election acknowledging "that the present appointment scheme for Canada's 1,000 appellate and superior court trial judges leaves the door wide open to political patronage" (Ottawa Citizen, Nov. 29)? Why did Judge Constance Glube, on her retirement as chief justice of Nova Scotia, plead with that same subcommittee to "please take the politics out of appointing judges" (Ottawa Citizen, Nov. 19, all three stories by Cristin Schmitz)?

What he said about the judiciary indeed!

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
So what.

What would he really try to do if Harper had judges that aren't of a progressive mindset, but of a conservative mindset like his.

You would not make the comments if you wanted to run a campaign or government that is not going to gel with the laws of the land.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Judicial Appointments

The Minister of Justice has been clear during his responses at Question Period, as have the Prime Minister and the Deputy Prime Minister; Justices undergo a particularly tight screening process, outside of the scope of undue public influence and pressure, before appointments are confirmed.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Jersay said:
Exactly, it is finally coming out what Harper really wants especially what he said about the judiciary.

He is right-wing and his facade is coming off.

Oh please. Surely you are not suggesting that every appointment to the bench the LIberals have made did not involve judges who were sympathetic to Liberal policies? All Harper did was point out a truth, but I can certainly understand how Liberal supporters would not recognise the truth :oops:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
bluealberta, are you asserting that every single appointment made by the Liberal Party of Canada in respect of Justices have been made unethically?

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: Judicial Appointments

FiveParadox said:
The Minister of Justice has been clear during his responses at Question Period, as have the Prime Minister and the Deputy Prime Minister; Justices undergo a particularly tight screening process, outside of the scope of undue public influence and pressure, before appointments are confirmed.

..........but at the end of the day, the PM alone has the opportunity to select the judiciary. There is no vetting process at all.

The senate is another example, as Harper also truthfully pointed out. For instance, one of the last senators appointed from Alberta was the former leader of the Alberta Liberal Party. His career was a screaming success. Of course the fact that we have duly elected senators in waiting in Alberta for open Alberta senate seats is beyond the comprehension of Martin et al. Yet he continued to talk about solving western alienation. Yeah, right. Another LIberal success story. :x

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Man I feel dity and sick after watching that..

Anyhow two comments.

The "Go Harper Go" sign I think was cut off and it orginal read "Go Harper, GO AWAY!"

Also just like Conservative policy I found the conservative sign at the end of the video pretty fuzzy and you couldn't read the fine print. (true go look).

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: A New Hope

FiveParadox said:
bluealberta, are you asserting that every single appointment made by the Liberal Party of Canada in respect of Justices have been made unethically?

Not unethically, but they were made with Liberal bias in mind. The system needs to be changed to allow for a vetting procedure so that anyone who has interest in this can see the transparency of judicial appointments. Does it not bother you at all that PM Martin, who has the sole authority to appoint Supreme Court Judges (at least until Tuesday), now also wants to get rid of the NW clause that puts virtual power into the hands of these nine, unelected individuals so they can have virtual power over every duly elected member of Parliament? Quite frankly, this is something that scares the hell out of me, and reminds me of a third world dictatorship. If he wants the Supremes to have ultimate and virtual power, what is the need for Parliament?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
bluealberta, in terms of reforming the Senate, I would be in favour of moderate reform; not direct election, since I believe that would create a "mirror image" of the House in the Upper Chamber, but rather by a ratified appointment process.

I would think that perhaps the Governor General should not appoint a Senator (since she makes the formal appointment) unless she receives the recommendation of both the Speaker of the House of Commons, and the Lieutenant Governor of the Provinces whom the Senator would serve (obviously, the recommendation of the Senator would represent the consent of the Provincial Legislature, and the recommendation of the Speaker would represent the consent of the House of Commons).

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
In terms of the Supreme Court of Canada, I think that it would be a mistake for the House of Commons to repeal the notwithstanding clause; however, perhaps it could be amended, if absolutely necessary, so as to no longer have jurisdiction over Section 12 of the Charter (fundamental freedoms), yet keep its authority over the remainder of the Charter. Maybe that would be a compromise for both sides?

I want to make sure that we don't leave the Court with too little authority, though. We need to ensure that they have the "teeth" they need to put the House in its place when it oversteps its bounds (Liberal, Conservative, I don't care, but the House should not be limitless in its authority).

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
The problem is the Supreme Court is chosen by one man, the PM.
Obviously he will chose like minded Judges that will impose his "Canadian values" on the rest of the unwashed.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
That was a great ad, I have not seen it yet on tv but they should play that right away...especially in Ontario. Harper is a great man, the type of guy you would like to have a beer with.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net

zoofer said:
The problem is the Supreme Court is chosen by one man, the PM.
Obviously he will chose like minded Judges that will impose his "Canadian values" on the rest of the unwashed.

That is the main problem with the Supreme court. I wouldn't mind an american version of the Pm chosing the canidates and the Senate (elected!!!) confirming. =-D

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

Finder said:
That is the main problem with the Supreme court. I wouldn't mind an american version of the Pm chosing the canidates and the Senate (elected!!!) confirming. =-D

yep, it is much more democratic than our current practices....but then you know only NEO CONS such as Harper would encourage following the evil American way :roll: