Advanced Voting Up

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Turnout at advance polls for the federal election jumped by about 25 per cent compared to the 2004 election, but an expert warns that it's no indication what's to come on election day.

According to preliminary figures, 1,561,945 people voted in advance polls for the Jan. 23 election. That is 313,000 more Canadians than cast ballots at advance polls in the 2004 election.

“A lot of Canadians took this opportunity to vote early,” said Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Jean-Pierre Kingsley in a statement Wednesday. “I appreciate the efforts of the election workers who dealt with the heavy turnout, and the patience of voters who coped with long lineups in some places to make sure their choice counts in this election.”

Polling stations were set up on Friday Jan. 13, Sat. Jan. 14, Monday Jan. 16.

Advertisements

Grace Lake, a spokeswoman for Elections Canada, said she attributes the increase to voter's concerns of what the weather would be like on election day.

“The whole purpose of advanced polls is provide the voters with more options,” she said. “Usually nine out of 10 voters vote on elections day, however.”

Every province and territory experienced some increase in early ballots, with PEI recording the largest percentage increase with nearly 11,250 people voting, up from 6,891 in 2004, an increase of nearly 63 per cent. Newfoundland recorded the smallest increase with only 1.7 per cent more ballots being cast than in the last election.

Despite the high turn out, University of Toronto political science professor Nelson Wiseman warns of reading anything into the higher turnout.

“They signify absolutely nothing in terms of election turnout,” Mr. Wiseman said. He attributes the jump in numbers better promotion and more people knowing about the polling stations.

He said previous elections have demonstrated that advance polls are no indication of how high or low turnout will be in an election. Ms. Lake said Elections Canada data supports his claim.

“We've been mislead in the past by the reports from poll workers and the media,” Mr. Wiseman said. “Most people already know who they are going to vote for. A lot of people decided a lifetime ago.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060118.wpolls0119/BNStory/specialDecision2006

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I got my vote done and over with on the 13th, that way I don't have to pay too much attention to their antics over the next few days. Plus, when the candidates come by the house it's funny to see how quickly they leave as soon as they find out you already voted.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Yeah I voted on Sunday, and it was pretty quick there was not a lot of people.

However, it is still interesting to watch the antics of some candidates.

I was shaking hands with the Conservative candidate for my riding, and I asked him to explain what he would do and the basics of the Tory platform.

So he spent about ten minutes explaining to me about the platform, and such, and then I said I had already voted but not for him. :twisted:

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
Harper will win. The Conservatives in Alberta don't need my vote (especially in Calgary!). I like my Conservative MP but voted Green as a vote for the environment. I was actually surprised how busy the advance poll was on the third day (16th) when I voted. One of the local high schools had given their 18-year-olds extra time to go vote if they wanted. I thought that a positive regardless of who all those strange young beasties vote for.