Canada has so much time to live

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now, even though I don't think it is quite correct for Buzz Hardgrove to call Harper a seperatist, because I don't believe he is, he could be because I truly believe Martin is, but to the point, even if Harper isn't a seperatist he is taking us down that path.

For with his de-evolution of federal powers that is already the most decentralized country in the world leads to disaster. I actually wrote to a Conservative guy, and he said the main plan is to get it down that the concerns of a Conservative federal government would be defence and foreign affairs. Everything else will be provincial.

Now, to some people that might be a good thing. However, allowing Quebec a seat on Foreign tables, and other premiers going to countries to meet Presidents and such (Manitoba and Quebec in Haiti), at some point in time, all provinces and territories will say we want on a foreign table because we deserve it because of this and that.

Then at some point in time, if a PM thinks, wow, maybe the provinces might have to much power and try to restrain it, the provinces will protest and Canada will end. Some provinces might join together, some would become part of the states and others things.

And don't think i am getting after Harper because I am not. I don't think Martin or Layton with their pro-government agenda would succeed in keeping Canada together.

So, Canada has been on life-support I feel, and it is about to end. Don't know when but it will.

Now I feel like I am being gloomy. Don't be sad for Canada, it has been going strong for 140 years, and throughout history, nations evolve or they disappear.

So what do yuo guys think?

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
As a softcore Quebec nationalist, I really don't see anything gloomy in the picture you present. I believe Canada can survive with all it's provinces being fairly independant. It's just a question of clarifying what the federal government stands for and stop wasting money double spending on 2 administrative levels. Let's just make it clear what belongs to the federal and what belongs to the provincial and respect the seperate roles.

I know this easier said than done though...

I am starting to think Quebecers should stop asking themselves if they want out of Canada. Instead, Canada should offer a deal to Quebec and say, do you want in? The question would force us to ultimately and clearly state what we want. But I don't know if I can expect such a bold and daring move from the ROC.

The question could be asked to any other province of course.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
As a softcore Quebec nationalist, I really don't see anything gloomy in the picture you present. I believe Canada can survive with all it's provinces being fairly independant. It's just a question of clarifying what the federal government stands for and stop wasting money double spending on 2 administrative levels. Let's just make it clear what belongs to the federal and what belongs to the provincial and respect the seperate roles.

I know this easier said than done though...

I am starting to think Quebecers should stop asking themselves if they want out of Canada. Instead, Canada should offer a deal to Quebec and say, do you want in? The question would force us to ultimately and clearly state what we want. But I don't know if I can expect such a bold and daring move from the ROC.

The question could be asked to any other province of course.

With that system you don't need two administrative governments. If the federals are in charge of Foreign and defence affairs, sooner or later the provinces will be apart and people will wonder why they are paying into two systems.

Maybe it is better that way for Canadians, if it becomes so decentralized that the federalist glue that keeps us all together just disappears.

It would mean less taxes.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
What I don't get is this assumption that if we go back to the federalism outlined in the BNA Act, somehow this leads to separation. If this is the case than why did all the provinces sign on to it on the first place?

Buzz is a commi trying to centralize everything into the hands of the feds and big business. Rather, perhaps, he is trying to prevent any of it from diverting back to how it was. I trust him like I trust Jack Layton to hold my wallet for two second...I don't.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
What I don't get is this assumption that if we go back to the federalism outlined in the BNA Act, somehow this leads to separation. If this is the case than why did all the provinces sign on to it on the first place?

Buzz is a commi trying to centralize everything into the hands of the feds and big business. Rather, perhaps, he is trying to prevent any of it from diverting back to how it was. I trust him like I trust Jack Layton to hold my wallet for two second...I don't.

BNA Act, strong central government, strong provincial governments.

This is already the most decentralized weak central government in the world. It is weaker now than at the BNA signing.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I don't see how you can say that. Health, education, direct taxation, equalisation....they have their hands in all of it.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
YK + NWT + Nu

BC + AL + SK + MA + ON + QC + NB+ NS+ PEI +NL
=
Ottawa

Should Ottawa be the sum of its parts? Or should it be greater than the sum of its parts? What do you expect from Ottawa? Do you expect it to take decisions FOR the provinces? WITH the provinces? Or should Ottawa simply APPLY the decisions took by the community of provinces and territories?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I don't see how you can say that. Health, education, direct taxation, equalisation....they have their hands in all of it.

They just give the money to the provinces. You don't know what provinces do with it, if they give health money to private corporations, or whatever.

The federal government is just a piggybank for the provinces to open up.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
"The federal government is just a piggybank for the provinces to open up."

Where do you think the money comes from that is in the piggy bank? The 'fiscal deficit' that so many provinces talk about is the feds sticking their slimy fingers into the pockets of their citizens and then 'making demands' for the return of that money in areas that are provincial jurisdiction in the BNA Act.