Canadian Missionaries - tax free mucking around

BorealRock

Dec 7, 2005
North
From === From http://www.cmacan.org/gministries.php

" Our Purpose: To glorify God by developing indigenous movements of reproducing churches among the least-reached people groups.
The C&MA Worldwide: Within the Alliance global family, there are over three million members and adherents, participating in 17,800 churches and preaching points in more than 60 countries.

Expanding Our Missionary Efforts in the Least-Reached World: Our global Alliance family has a passion and commitment to reach the least reached for Jesus Christ. In fact, people like you are investing much time, money and prayer to share the gospel with people groups that otherwise might never hear. "

This has bugged me for a while. Nothing wrong with a person or business getting a tax write off to help people overseas to like stop starving or get good health and basic education, shelter but it just seems wrong that a tax free donation is used to muck with someone elses perfectly fine religion or spirituatlity.

I think we should change the rules so that any Canadian religious organization who promotes their religion overseas should lose the tax free status or at least part of it. They should be free to go and preach around the world but sorry we can use the tax money here at home.

bruju

Jan 16, 2006
BorealRock
You have a good point there, maybe we should go one step further and remove the tax exemption for all churches and religious groups. Our children are not allowed to pray in school, our government will not allow that word Merry (Christmas) to be used in the House of Commons.
There are those out there that don't believe in any religion but they are forced to subsidies these groups.Why I ask.
In all fairness should the tax payers of no belief have to pay for someone else belief,when on the other hand ones belief can stop another's right to pray in a public school or our House of Commons.
We should not have a government that say's No praying in school as it may offend others yet those others have to support the religious groups through tax breaks.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't see why churches should be exempt from taxes except on the charitable acts they do. Preaching to convert people isn't charity.