The Canada Elections Act

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I was just wondering if other members of the forum were aware, as it seems to have been a somewhat "quiet" provision in this piece of legislation, that the Canada Elections Act contains a provision which authorized, in particular, incarcerated citizens in other countries (so long as they have not been outside of the country for more than five years) to vote?

Just wondering.

It's Section 11(e) of the Canada Elections Act.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
FiveParadox said:
I was just wondering if other members of the forum were aware, as it seems to have been a somewhat "quiet" provision in this piece of legislation, that the Canada Elections Act contains a provision which authorized, in particular, incarcerated citizens in other countries (so long as they have not been outside of the country for more than five years) to vote?

Just wondering.

It's Section 11(e) of the Canada Elections Act.

11. Any of the following persons may vote in accordance with Part 11:

(a) a Canadian Forces elector;

(b) an elector who is an employee in the public service of Canada or of a province and who is posted outside Canada;

(c) a Canadian citizen who is employed by an international organization of which Canada is a member and to which Canada contributes and who is posted outside Canada;

(d) a person who has been absent from Canada for less than five consecutive years and who intends to return to Canada as a resident;

(e) an incarcerated elector within the meaning of that Part; and

(f) any other elector in Canada who wishes to vote in accordance with that Part.

I don't understand what your question is. You mean if an incarcerated canadian citizen in another nation state has the right to vote. They would but I'm not sure if they'd have the means to voting.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I simply wasn't aware, previously, that such a provision existed; while I knew that incarcerated persons in Canada were given the vote, I did not know that the same policy extended to those arrested abroad.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Of course they would have the right to vote, but I think the problem is, that they do not have the means of voting. It's kind of hard to vote if your in a deep dank Syrian prison. *shrugs*

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
However Paradox you bring up a good point. Does the Canadian Embassy in these nations try to get the prisoners to vote? Also I never thought about looking up how many Canadians are incarcerated in other nations. Also I wonder how many of those actually do vote. Something to look into anyhow