Harper and the Charter of Rights

cyberclark
Paul Martin has speculated he would like to know what is in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms that Mr. Stephen Harper would like to get into so much.

I offer this up:

Put limitations on internet use covering items like posts during elections. Open up email for easier access by Government so they can run witch hunts at their leisure.

Open the door to make it illegal to criticize a Government? This happens in the US!

Property rights – sounds good. What kind of property? Guns? Automobiles and their liability? That’s possible. Claw back of mineral rights? Allow Government to easily rip away water rights such as they are?

Canadian citizenship: When is it effective? How it can be cancelled? What hooks the Government can exercise when you are abroad? Choice based on race or color allowed? Choice based on height or health allowed?

I think we all should wonder what Mr. Harper and his Conservatives want when they open the Charter of Rights and Freedoms as they say they are going to!

cyberclark@shaw.ca (external - login to view)

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by cyberclark

Open the door to make it illegal to criticize a Government? This happens in the US!

No it doesn't.

cyberclark
In the US the "Mad Cow" freon thing has been a huge cover up from start to finish. As in Canada 1 out of 1000 or 10,000 animals are tested. The difference is in the US a person is breaking the law when they critize the Government Inspectors, the Government Inspection Services or the stock yard operator.
Source Vanity Fair.
In fairness, a company in Alberta were promised a contract with Japan for supply of huge amounts of beef. This was conditional on each head being tested. The plant had all their ducks lined up as in inspections slaughter houses inspectors etc. and the Government of Canada would not give them an export number! The Government of Alberta would not fight for them.

The bottom line is this is more prevelant than one thinks, it not presented properly in media as far as safety concerns (preons are in the brain and spial cord only and we don't eat them any more).

Bottom line: Yes you can face heavy charges for critizing the US government in this area if no other.

Calberty
Like Svend the NDP Thief, you must be suffering from bipolar disorder to claim it's illegal to criticize the US government. You live a sheltered life and need to get out more.

You'll find a million internest sites, forums, news outlets and so on criticizing the US government. It's a national sport in the USA.

MMMike

I think we all should wonder what Mr. Harper and his Conservatives want when they open the Charter of Rights and Freedoms as they say they are going to!

They don't say they are going to make any changes to the Charter. The only one that has stated that they will alter the Charter is Paul Martin and the Liberals.

I think not

In the US the "Mad Cow" freon thing has been a huge cover up from start to finish. As in Canada 1 out of 1000 or 10,000 animals are tested. The difference is in the US a person is breaking the law when they critize the Government Inspectors, the Government Inspection Services or the stock yard operator.
Source Vanity Fair.

Cite the law that contradicts the Free Excercise Clause of the First Amendment of the US Constitution. I'm not interested in the perceptions or opinions of the law Vanity Fair has, cite the law or stop making statements that are false that only serve to instill fear.

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by MMMike

They don't say they are going to make any changes to the Charter. The only one that has stated that they will alter the Charter is Paul Martin and the Liberals.

I'm not so sure on that Mike....Isn't Harper going to add property rights to the Charter?

Calberty
The NDP position is to defend property rights except in cases where the value is $50,000 or more and stolen by MPs with bipolar disorder.

Other than that, Martin is the one who brought up changes to the Charter in the last English debate. Not his finest moment even among other not-so-fine momnets this campaign.

MMMike
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Quote: Originally Posted by MMMike

I'm not so sure on that Mike....Isn't Harper going to add property rights to the Charter?

My bad!

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Calberty

The NDP position is to defend property rights except in cases where the value is $50,000 or more and stolen by MPs with bipolar disorder.

Other than that, Martin is the one who brought up changes to the Charter in the last English debate. Not his finest moment even among other not-so-fine momnets this campaign.

Somehow I get the feeling you're not voting NDP.

nomore
Quote: Originally Posted by Calberty

LOL, thank you for that. I needed a good laugh.