Will the real Stephen Harper please stand up?

MaxPower

Jan 18, 2006
http://www.straightgoods.ca/ViewFeature6.cfm?REF=27

The biggest spectacle of the election has been the apparent transformation of Stephen Harper, the Conservative leader, and long time right-wing ideologue, into a born-again liberal. It's almost unbelievable.

Actually it is unbelievable. At the beginning of this election, Canadians worried about Harper's "hidden agenda". But after he said openly that a Conservative government would table a bill revoking gay marriage, for some reason, people seemed to think that all his agendas were on the table. Harper's more recent promises have gone largely unscrutinized.

http://www.marmalade.ca/?p=2308

Harper is not our friend, and he will sell us out in ways Mulroney only dreamed of. This is a man who said in the 2004 election, that we wouldn’t recognize Canada when he was through with it. Is this REALLY what we want in a leader?

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
I thought the biggest transformation was Svend 'Sticky Fingers' Robinson, the NDP jewell thief. He had a flip in his bipolarity.

Maybe this is why Layton gives Sticky fimgers a ringing endorsemnet as a great NDP representative.

Polls
Cons : 42%
Libs: 26%
Svends: 17%

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
MaxPower said:
http://www.straightgoods.ca/ViewFeature6.cfm?REF=27

The biggest spectacle of the election has been the apparent transformation of Stephen Harper, the Conservative leader, and long time right-wing ideologue, into a born-again liberal. It's almost unbelievable.

Actually it is unbelievable. At the beginning of this election, Canadians worried about Harper's "hidden agenda". But after he said openly that a Conservative government would table a bill revoking gay marriage, for some reason, people seemed to think that all his agendas were on the table. Harper's more recent promises have gone largely unscrutinized.

http://www.marmalade.ca/?p=2308

Harper is not our friend, and he will sell us out in ways Mulroney only dreamed of. This is a man who said in the 2004 election, that we wouldn’t recognize Canada when he was through with it. Is this REALLY what we want in a leader?

First of all, let me say I wish the SSM issue would just disappear....its over.

That said, SSM is NOT a right, the Supreme Court has never ruled on it, in fact it REFUSED to rule on that question when asked to by Martin's government.

As for the rest of that "marmalade", if only they listed something Harper would do that I disagree with!

Rebuilding our military is a necessity, if we are to have any credibility in the world.

Missile defense is a good thing.

Martin wants to keep American weapons out of space...........good.....let's leave the place to the Chinese! Now there's a wonderful idea...NOT!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
MaxPower, aka SpecialK.. you have been banned once for disgusting displays on your avatar and signature on this site.

Stay away.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Colpy wrote:

Missile defence would be good, if anyone knew how to do it. Scientific analysts from all over the world tell us that bringing down a missile with another missile is impossible. The Americans cheated on the only tests that came even close. They knew when the missile would be fired, and they knew exactly where from. In a real situation, the missile could come from anywhere, at any time. The newest Russian missiles for example, have multiple, steerable, warheads that would have a tiny radar return that would make them invisible. It would be better to make peace.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
very true juan.

peace is the only alternative.

weapons escalations only benefit the arms dealers (and we all know which countries those are, don't we)

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
But your living in one of the arms dealing countries.

Make them, sell them, develop counter weapons, sell them, etc. It is a booming business, sadly.

Escalation also only breeds paranoia, not feelings of safety.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
#juan said:
Colpy wrote:

Missile defence would be good, if anyone knew how to do it. Scientific analysts from all over the world tell us that bringing down a missile with another missile is impossible. The Americans cheated on the only tests that came even close. They knew when the missile would be fired, and they knew exactly where from. In a real situation, the missile could come from anywhere, at any time. The newest Russian missiles for example, have multiple, steerable, warheads that would have a tiny radar return that would make them invisible. It would be better to make peace.

Even if missile defense can hit one warhead, that's possibly several hundred thousand that haven't been killed, what's you point?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Will the real Stephen Harper please stand up?

the caracal kid said:
But your living in one of the arms dealing countries.

And so are you, what's your point on that? Please elaborate.

the caracal kid said:
Make them, sell them, develop counter weapons, sell them, etc. It is a booming business, sadly.

Escalation also only breeds paranoia, not feelings of safety.

Yes, escalation breeds paranoia, I can't argue with you on that, in a perfect world we don't need guns and weapons or missile defense systems, but we don't live in a perfect world.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
And contributing to the problem rather than trying to improve global conditions is not very constructive.

My point is that rather than spending billions on pointless arms programs, and making billions selling weapons to warlords, how about selling peace? Yes, perhaps the profits are not quite so high, but they could be. Developing technologies to improve life and sustainability is a better use of our energies, and can reward us rather than harm us.

Just because it is not "a perfect world" is not a free pass to rape, pillage, and plundar to one's heart is content.

geopolitics

Jan 17, 2006
Missile Defense is COMPLETELY ridiculous you want to know why? Because as of now China is producing EMP weapons (Electromagnetic Pulse) in which if used all electrical power would malfunction and shutdown immediately for a short period of time.

They call it an E-Bomb.

For more information you can easily just search E-Bomb or EMP Weapon and you will find the info.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

the caracal kid said:
And contributing to the problem rather than trying to improve global conditions is not very constructive.

My point is that rather than spending billions on pointless arms programs, and making billions selling weapons to warlords, how about selling peace? Yes, perhaps the profits are not quite so high, but they could be. Developing technologies to improve life and sustainability is a better use of our energies, and can reward us rather than harm us.

Just because it is not "a perfect world" is not a free pass to rape, pillage, and plundar to one's heart is content.

You won't hear any argument on the points you made Caracal Kid, they are much more reasonable and sane than any arms race.

Let's take however a current situation, Iran claims they want nuclear energy for peaceful energy needs. Fine, let's say for a moment their motives are sincere. Can anyone gaurantee that a future leader somewhere, anywhere in the world will not use a nuclear weapon against the US? I don't think anyone can make that guarantee. So what should the US do? Sit back and wait to get hit and then start to think it's time for protective measures? I don't think that's the answer.

Even if all nuclear warheads were to be dismantled, by everyone, everywhere, who's to say in the near or distant future, someone won't get trigger happy?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
There are people with less than sincere motives out there trying to disarm and de-industrialize America. I'm not buying into the plan...

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
de-industrialize?

care to elaborate on this?

America is in a position to take the lead on RE-industrializing. Redefining the economies of the world, creating a "more balanced world". As it is now, the west lives in an unsustainable manner, and the developing countries desire to be on par with that unsustainable lifestyle. The west must reinvent itself, and the developing countries need to end their greedy pursuit of the life of excess. The disparities between the worlds needs to be closed, then there will be a lot less to "fear" of "impending attacks".

KanBob

Nominee Member
Jan 11, 2006
Alberta
I think not said:
North Korea isn't an arms dealer.

Hmmm. Don't you remember that ship from North Korea that was intercepted on it's way to Iraq (back in Saddam's days)?

It was loaded with arms and weapons. Maybe missiles of some sort. Don't exactly remember.

Angry Texan

Jan 18, 2006

the caracal kid said:

<snip - personal attack>Peace only works if both parties are willing to cooperate! You might be willing to work towards peace, but all the damn communists and terrorists on the other side of the world want you dead and won't change their mind. And guess what? They don't care how much of a liberal you are, to them you're an American capitalist pig and they want your head on a silver platter with a side of onions!

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
Communists….. Didn’t see that one coming

Have we given these so-called evil people a reason to change their mind?
Yes lets lump every person on the other side of the planet into a generalized perception. You know what there are some very bad people in the world, and they exist in every society not just in those on the other side of the planet.