Tories would list tigers as terrorists

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
TORONTO - A Conservative government would add the Tamil Tigers to Canada's list of outlawed terrorist groups, deputy leader and public safety critic Peter MacKay said yesterday.

"The short answer is yes," he said when asked by the National Post if the Tamil Tigers would be listed if the government changed on Monday. "We would list them."

The Conservative party would also act swiftly to deport accused terrorists such as alleged former Tamil Tiger fundraiser Manickavasagam Suresh.

Mr. Suresh was arrested for deportation 10 years ago, but still lives near Toronto.

"In fact, we have in our platform that there's a need to move quickly on the reduction of the backlog that is there right now for unexecuted deportation orders, including Suresh," he said.

Mr. MacKay made the comments hours before the Canadian Tamil Congress was to host an all-candidates meeting in Scarborough, home to a large concentration of Tamil-Canadians, some of whom are sympathetic to the Tigers and call Mr. Suresh a political prisoner.

But Mr. MacKay said "we draw a very distinct line between the Tamil community, who are extremely peace-loving, productive members of society, and this very small terrorist group that has been listed, as I understand it, by many of our traditional allies, including the U.S. and the U.K.

"I think we have to be definitive in saying that we certainly support the Tamil community, but there is a very clear and distinct line that has to be drawn when it comes to terrorist fundraising that we feel is happening in Canada right now, based on CSIS reports."

National security has barely been mentioned during the election campaign. The Conservatives have pledged to end what they consider the Liberals' neglect of Canada's security responsibilities, while the Liberals are running on their track record of reforms introduced after 9/11.

The Anti-Terrorism Act allows Cabinet to compile a list of "entities" it deems to be involved in terrorism. Those on the list are subject to criminal sanctions. Thirty-eight groups have been listed so far, ranging from al-Qaeda to Hamas to Ansar al-Islam in Iraq.

A Canadian Security Intelligence Service recommendation to add the Tigers to the list has gone to Cabinet on several occasions but has been rejected each time.

The Tigers are one of the most active terror groups in Canada and the government's reluctance to ban them has become a source of frustration for police and intelligence investigators trying to stop terrorists from using Canada as a base for supporting overseas violence.

Also known as the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, or LTTE, the Tamil Tigers are a rebel group fighting for an independent state for Sri Lanka's Tamil minority. They are also one of the world's leading practitioners of suicide bombing. LTTE leader Velupillai Prabhakaran is listed on the Interpol Web site as wanted for murder, organized crime, terrorism and terrorism conspiracy.

Canadian police and intelligence agencies say the Tigers operate a series of front organizations and front companies in Canada that raise money and engage in lobbying to sustain the LTTE's campaign of violence.

Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew said last February that Canada did not want to take any action that could be counter-productive to Sri Lanka's Norwegian-brokered peace process, but Mr. MacKay called that an excuse. "CSIS has reports that have called upon the government to list the Tigers, but the age-old excuse that has been given is that it might somehow upset the fragile peace process in Sri Lanka," Mr. MacKay said. "I think we're overstating our own influence if that's the excuse that we're relying upon."

Intelligence reports estimate the Tigers were getting $10-million a year from Canada at one point. The open collection of money declined after a ceasefire was declared in 2002, but some in the Sri Lankan community are reporting a resurgence of fundraising and extortion efforts in anticipation of a return to war.

Last year, Sri Lanka's foreign minister was assassinated in a sniper attack the government blames on the Tigers. Several recent bombings targeting the Sri Lankan military have likewise been attributed to the Tigers. Supporters of the LTTE, who regularly hold large rallies in Toronto, argue that Tamils have no choice but to fight because of the way the country's Sinhalese majority has historically treated them.

A slide presentation circulated on the Internet early in the election campaign urged Sri Lankan Canadians to vote Conservative because "many countries banned LTTE" but the "Liberals did not."

Link

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Appeal Process

I find myself concerned, personally, regarding the apparent position of the Conservative Party of Canada regarding not terror-related deportations, but deportations in general; would the Tories still permit an appeal process, or would they begin executing these "unexecuted deportation orders" en masse?

I would certainly hope that the rights of these immigrants are respected.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: Appeal Process

FiveParadox said:
I find myself concerned, personally, regarding the apparent position of the Conservative Party of Canada regarding not terror-related deportations, but deportations in general; would the Tories still permit an appeal process, or would they begin executing these "unexecuted deportation orders" en masse?

I would certainly hope that the rights of these immigrants are respected.

These are not citizens of Canada, they have no "right" to be here, and if they are under a deportation order, they have already had their day in court.

I think it is about time we started throwing people out of this country, starting with the two accused in the Air India bombings. Both were members of a Sikh terrorist organization, which is reason enough for me. The Indians would know what to do with them.

I welcome immigration to this country. In fact, I think it is a disgrace that immigration is based on the wealth and education of the applicant, instead of their need. BUT, this gets out of hand. If you wish to enter Canada and stay, you must (IMHO) adopt our basic principles of rule of law, freedom of speech, and the democratic process. You had best leave your hatred and your old country wars at the doorstep. Membership or even donation to any terrorist group should mean automatic expulsion.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
What other terrorist groups are harboured here? And why? The old political persecution bit should not apply to the Tamils or the IRA.

nomore

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2006
Re: Appeal Process

Colpy said:
I welcome immigration to this country. In fact, I think it is a disgrace that immigration is based on the wealth and education of the applicant, instead of their need. BUT, this gets out of hand. If you wish to enter Canada and stay, you must (IMHO) adopt our basic principles of rule of law, freedom of speech, and the democratic process. You had best leave your hatred and your old country wars at the doorstep. Membership or even donation to any terrorist group should mean automatic expulsion.

Agreed

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
These are not citizens of Canada, they have no "right" to be here, and if they are under a deportation order, they have already had their day in court.

I think it is about time we started throwing people out of this country, starting with the two accused in the Air India bombings. Both were members of a Sikh terrorist organization, which is reason enough for me. The Indians would know what to do with them.

Some deportation orders just og right ahead. What FiveParadox is saying is there going to be an appeals process. It is unfair to a person about to be deported if he does not have a chance a an appeal. Whoever he/she is.

They still have a right to an appeal of some kind. That I think is Five paradox's concern.

Neodim

Nominee Member
RE: Tories would list tig

Zionist organizations are perfectly legal in Canada:
CANADIAN ZIONIST FEDERATION is their umbrella.
(http://urj.org/ccrj/arza/index.cfm?)

Isn't zionist state of Israel a terrorsit #1 towards Palestinians?

On November 10, 1975 the United Nations General Assembly adopted, by a vote of 72 to 35 (with 32 abstentions), its Resolution 3379, which states as its conclusion:
* Zionism is a form of racism and racial discrimination.

(http://www.palestinefacts.org/pf_1967to1991_un_zionism_racism.php)

In light of this Tigers look like lambs...

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
it is all a game of convenience who is a terrorist and who is not. remember that terror is the war of the poor, while war is the terror of the rich.

Perhaps a few western countries should be added to this list? Of course, that would be wrong because they are our friends.... sure, whatever it takes to keep the money flowing.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
it is all a game of convenience who is a terrorist and who is not. remember that terror is the war of the poor, while war is the terror of the rich.

Perhaps a few western countries should be added to this list? Of course, that would be wrong because they are our friends.... sure, whatever it takes to keep the money flowing.

I get the last part but what do you mean about the top section?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Tories would list tig

Neodim said:

On November 10, 1975 the United Nations General Assembly adopted, by a vote of 72 to 35 (with 32 abstentions), its Resolution 3379, which states as its conclusion:

Canada voted no on Resolution 3379, does that make us racists too?

Infact all these nations voted no on this resolution...

Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Canada, Central African Republic, Costa Rica, Denmark, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Fiji, Finland, France, Federal Republic of Germany, Haiti, Honduras, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Luxembourg, Malawi, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Swaziland, Sweden, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States of America, Uruguay.

All your argument does is show the real worth of the UN.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
jersay,

as to convenience: groups become "terrorists" rather than "rebels" or "freedom fighters" or "liberators" entirely on the perspective of the labeler. If a country benefits from the group, they get a "good" label, if not, they get a "bad" label. People are all to willing to accept attrocities when they benefit from them (especially when they don't have to witness them).

war is the terror of the rich: rich nations can declare "war" and create all the terror that goes with warring under that flag. the poor people/nations do not have armies to declare war, so they must fight with what little they have in whatever way they can. How can a poor group fight a strong armed nation? "terror attacks". But let us not kid each other that either side is any more or less noble than the other.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Neodim said:

Spare me.

Israel is here to stay. Israel has offered the Palestinians their own state, to have their offer answered with morters and Kalishnakovs. Israel has removed themselves from the Gaza Strip, just to have ockets fired into their territory. Under their new policy of separation, they would abandon the West Bank as well, except that would put hundreds of thousands of their citizens within range of PLO rockets.

Israel is a free, liberal democratic country.

Can you say the same about the Palestinian Authority?

More to the point: Would you rather be an Arab in Israel, or a Jew in any Arab state?

Think about it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Tories would list tigers as terrorists

the caracal kid said:
jersay,

as to convenience: groups become "terrorists" rather than "rebels" or "freedom fighters" or "liberators" entirely on the perspective of the labeler. If a country benefits from the group, they get a "good" label, if not, they get a "bad" label. People are all to willing to accept attrocities when they benefit from them (especially when they don't have to witness them).

war is the terror of the rich: rich nations can declare "war" and create all the terror that goes with warring under that flag. the poor people/nations do not have armies to declare war, so they must fight with what little they have in whatever way they can. How can a poor group fight a strong armed nation? "terror attacks". But let us not kid each other that either side is any more or less noble than the other.

This is absolute baloney.

No western army I know of stops buses, pulls off people of questionable ethnicity, and machine guns them in the street. That is a favourite tactic of the LTTE.

Our allies to the south are a free and democratic nation, despite their faults.

This idiocy of relativism will be the end of us. Do you like the priviledges of western civilization? If so, you should realize that some chauvinism is necessary in the defense of a relatively free and open society.

To equate the actions of the US in Iraq, or the Israelis in the Middle East, with the wholesale murder of civilians perpetrated by the LTTE is disingenuous, to say the least. They are not the same thing.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
IRA have pretty much disarmed and are at least usually talking with the Brits. The problem is with a smaller group of whats believed to be a couple hundred man which call themselves "The Real IRA or RIRA, sometimes IRA". Because Western media is often somewhat... dimwitted they think the "real IRA" is the IRA, but it is not. Most of the terrorist attacks in the last ten years have been committed by these guys and I think they are already on Canada's list of terrorists.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Finder said:
IRA have pretty much disarmed and are at least usually talking with the Brits. The problem is with a smaller group of whats believed to be a couple hundred man which call themselves "The Real IRA or RIRA, sometimes IRA". Because Western media is often somewhat... dimwitted they think the "real IRA" is the IRA, but it is not. Most of the terrorist attacks in the last ten years have been committed by these guys and I think they are already on Canada's list of terrorists.

They may have disarmed, but that doesn't change history. If we recognized these morons now, including Gerry Adams, all it does is legitimize them. Proof that terrorism works in the end.

But since the IRA are white guys who look and speak like we do, I guess we're supposed to accept that.

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto

Colpy said:
Neodim said:

Spare me.

Israel is here to stay. Israel has offered the Palestinians their own state, to have their offer answered with morters and Kalishnakovs. Israel has removed themselves from the Gaza Strip, just to have ockets fired into their territory. Under their new policy of separation, they would abandon the West Bank as well, except that would put hundreds of thousands of their citizens within range of PLO rockets.

Israel is a free, liberal democratic country.

Can you say the same about the Palestinian Authority?

More to the point: Would you rather be an Arab in Israel, or a Jew in any Arab state?

Think about it.

spare me colpy,

If you want to believe in the heartless attempt at offering up scraps to the palestinians as a legitmate cocession for a state thats up to you but waste time trying to influence others.

Its easy to be a liberal democratic country when a considerable number of its original inhabitants arent citizens and cannot be under the current constitution.

I guess they'll giveup the west bank too after filling them up with settlements, just last month they ordered more new settlements.

Id rather be a jew in an arab country, nowadays they tend to have the same rights as arabs:: none. Better to be a jew in an arab nation without rights than be an arab under the farce of human rights.

now that thats cleared up back to lynyrd skynyrd

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
RE: Tories would list tig

Bakc to the topic: Im all for the banning of tamil tigers, these organizations harras tamil canadians day in and day out threatening to destroy there homes unless they donate to rebellion. They abused the peace they had to rearm and train more child soldiers, its time the world community sends a curshing bloe to this cadres.