Canadian diplomat killed by suicide bomb

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Statement by the Prime Minister on the attack in Kandahar, Afghanistan
January 15, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Paul Martin issued the following statement on the news that Glyn Berry of the Canadian Foreign Service was tragically killed, and three Canadian soldiers wounded, earlier today in a terrorist attack in Kandahar, Afghanistan:

“On behalf of the Government of Canada and all Canadians, I would like to express my sincere condolences to the family and friends of Glyn Berry. Mr. Berry, Political Director from Foreign Affairs Canada to the Provincial Reconstruction Team in Kandahar, Afghanistan, lost his life today in a terrorist attack in Kandahar. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this difficult time.

“Mr. Berry had a long and distinguished career of service to Canadians at home and abroad. Prior to his assignment to Afghanistan, Mr. Berry had most recently served at Canada’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York. His loss touches us all.

“I join all Canadians in also wishing Private William Edward Salikin, Corporal Jeffrey Bailey and Master Corporal Paul Franklin, the three Canadian soldiers who were injured, a speedy and complete recovery.

Full story: http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news.asp?id=680

Very sad - I'm surprised no one here mentioned it.

Uncle

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Message from the Governor General

My sincere condolences go out to the family and friends of Mr. Glyn Berry.

I would deem it appropriate to cite the address of Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, our Governor General of Canada, in her heartfelt address to the nation in regards to this tragedy.

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean said:
“My husband Jean-Daniel Lafond and I were deeply saddened to learn of the death today of Glyn Berry in a terrorist attack in Afghanistan, which also left three of our Canadian soldiers wounded. Mr. Berry, a Political Director from Foreign Affairs, had been posted to the Provincial Reconstruction Team working in the Kandahar region. This incident is a tragic reminder of the insecurity that continues to plague the Afghan population and of the enormous risks facing the dedicated and courageous Canadian civilian and military personnel working in that country.

Our thoughts are with the friends and family of Glyn Berry, whose commitment to the cause of peace in this part of the world knew no bounds. We wish to express to them our deepest sympathies. We also wish Private William Edward Salikin, Corporal Jeffrey Bailey and Master Corporal Paul Franklin a speedy recovery. We know how worried their friends, parents and colleagues must feel at this time.”
May his death be not in vain.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Shit people, can we not use teh search function before starting a topic? Not to dump on you specifically, Uncle, but this is the third #$$%^^&8 thread in two days on the same topic!!! :evil:

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
MMMike said:
Shit people, can we not use teh search function before starting a topic? Not to dump on you specifically, Uncle, but this is the third #$$%^^&8 thread in two days on the same topic!!! :evil:

Hey, Gertrude, I put the man's name in the search function and came up with zilch. I did check. Maybe the old search function is not working too well.

After being chastized about this once before, I try to remember to do it. Jump back.

Uncle

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
unclepercy said:
Hey, Gertrude

:lol: I'll let it go this time, Uncle... but next time I'll be coming down there and we'll have a little "talk". :wink:

(there are two threads on this already In the News section)