Harper appeals to Canadian values

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Says Toronto Star 8O

SAINT JOHN, N.B. - Conservative Leader Stephen Harper is calling it an agenda of hope versus a campaign of fear.

As the federal election campaign entered the final week before Monday's vote, Harper appealed to voters to consider the Tories as the party that truly reflects Canadian values.

It's a claim that Liberal Prime Minister Paul Martin has made throughout the campaign in an effort to distinguish himself from his main opponent. But rising polling numbers for the Conservatives suggest the Liberal argument may be wearing thin.

"There are no limits to the future if we live by the best of Canada's values, no limits if we choose an agenda of hope over a campaign of fear," Harper told about 200 supporters at a rally warmed up by New Brunswick Premier Bernard Lord. "That's what this week is all about."

Harper said his support has grown substantially in Quebec because voters recognize that the Conservatives offer an honest, constructive alternative to the Liberals or Bloc Quebecois.

"I have refused to be drawn into this tired, endless, pointless debate between a government that uses support for federalism as an excuse for corruption and an opposition that uses corruption as a rationale for keeping separatists in a Parliament they promise to leave."

The Conservative leader also rejected Liberal claims that his campaign promises don't add up and will result in spending cuts and user fees.

That follows report that the Conference Board of Canada was not given two key platform planks when it evaluated the Conservative spending promises as affordable over five years.

Calling himself a guy "who would rather light one candle than promise a million light bulbs," Harper said the conference board stands by their report.

The items in question are a health-care guarantee that would transport patients to other jurisdictions if necessary for timely treatment, and a fix for the so-called fiscal imbalance between the federal and provincial governments.

Harper said the health-care wait time guarantee will be covered by the most recent federal-provincial health funding agreement. As for the fiscal imbalance, some increases to provincial transfer payments are already in the platform, he said, but a Tory government would consult with the provinces before going further.

"There is also flexibility," he said. "There are unallocated surpluses still available for us to have further negotiations on that matter."

Harper did concede that the Conservatives would cut the rate of increase in federal department spending, which he said has outstripped inflation and population growth under the Liberals.

It was Harper's third campaign stop in New Brunswick, where the Tories won only two of 10 seats in 2004. He has been getting enthusiastic help throughout the campaign from Lord, who does not disguised his frosty relations with the federal Liberals.

But Harper remained cautiously understated when asked about the apparently swelling support for the Conservatives.

"I'm pleased with things," he said. "And I'll accept the wisdom of the Canadian people on election day."

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005
RE: Harper appeals to Can

I don't like Harper, I can see it in his eyes that he's hiding true motives, most likely to hand over our soverignty to the Americans. His policies can be torn apart by anyone with half a brain and proven from current knowledge they'll be unsuccessful. Harper also brings his religion into making decisions, which is a violation of church and state in my eyes. I think Harper is bad news for Canada, and will probably go down in history as the conservative screwup that will take Canada 30 years to rebuild from, or may even result in civil war.
I personally will protest his policies and lobby for them to be stopped in parliament.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I have little doubt that Harper will be remembered as fondly as Brian Mulroney is now..but it is happening and he will be the next PM.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Harper appeals to Can

Alberta'sfinest said:
I don't like Harper, I can see it in his eyes that he's hiding true motives,

Jack Layton must freak you right out then....

KanBob

Nominee Member
Jan 11, 2006
Alberta
That's the best way to judge a politician alright!

Check the eyes!

And I bet Bucky Martin and his lost in the headlights look must be extremely frightening to you!

As for Mulroney: Still the best Prime Minister of the 20th century!

Breakthrough2006

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2005
As much as the fearmongering is wearing thin with most Canadians, it's obviously alive and well with those that think there is a monster in their closet.

I personally find Martin very scary. He is delusional. He accused Layton of not supporting abortions and then called Duceppe impotent.

Martin has really lost it and it's giving me the creeps.

Martin needs a nap.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
As much as the fearmongering is wearing thin with most Canadians, it's obviously alive and well with those that think there is a monster in their closet.

I personally find Martin very scary. He is delusional. He accused Layton of not supporting abortions and then called Duceppe impotent.

Martin has really lost it and it's giving me the creeps.

Martin needs a nap.

Martin needs a nap agreed. However, Martin is not as scary asHarper because he is trying to paint himself as a centralist person to people who are tired of Martin even though he and his party are not.

So even though Martin has screwed up alot this campaign, he has one thing right, Harper doesn't have the same values as most Canadians.

And trust a Conservative to say that Mulroney was the Greatest Prime Minister in Canadian History.

Laurier was. :D

Breakthrough2006

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2005
Hard work and ethics that Harper is promoting ARE Canadian values.

You only have to look as far as Toronto to see what happens when a bleeding heart Liberal is at the helm. The city is about to go bankrupt under Millers leadership.

How can a city rack up more than a half billion dollars in debt in only one year?

He has been handing out grants to obscure groups like candy.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Hard work and ethics that Harper is promoting ARE Canadian values.

You only have to look as far as Toronto to see what happens when a bleeding heart Liberal is at the helm. The city is about to go bankrupt under Millers leadership.

How can a city rack up more than a half billion dollars in debt in only one year?

He has been handing out grants to obscure groups like candy.

Oh, boy, Harper has two values of Canada. I will just jump ship and go to the Conservatives.

Oh wait, I already voted for a party that has real Canadian values at heart.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Harper's Values are Un-Canadian

The values of the Honourable Stephen Harper are, in my opinion, hardly aligned with those of mainstream Canadians. In my opinion, it would not be possible for Mr. Harper to have completely turned an about-face in respect of his previous hardcore right-wing opinions in such a short period of time — in my opinion, the positions of the Right Honourable Paul Martin are far more in line with the values of Canada, more particularly when comparing only the two.

Hard work and ethics mean absolutely nothing, in my opinion, if one is going to use such "hard work" to further a right-wing agenda against the will of Canadians. If the now-Leader of the Opposition would dare to shed his moderate façade during the Thirty-ninth Parliament of Canada, I think that we could see the Tories returned to the Opposition side of the House for another decade.

Breakthrough2006

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2005
I didn't realize that you were expecting a grocery list of values.

One of their values does "not" include corruption. That's enough for my vote.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Use of Quotation Marks

In the interest of friendly debate, Breakthrough2006, I don't think that quotation marks were the type of punctuation you meant to use around the word "not" — it implies that you are being sarcastic, lol. :p

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Re: RE: Harper appeals to Can

Alberta'sfinest said:
I don't like Harper, I can see it in his eyes that he's hiding true motives, most likely to hand over our soverignty to the Americans. His policies can be torn apart by anyone with half a brain and proven from current knowledge they'll be unsuccessful. Harper also brings his religion into making decisions, which is a violation of church and state in my eyes. I think Harper is bad news for Canada, and will probably go down in history as the conservative screwup that will take Canada 30 years to rebuild from, or may even result in civil war.
I personally will protest his policies and lobby for them to be stopped in parliament.

Shouldn't this be posted in the comedy section? :roll:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Respect in the Forum

Show some respect, zoofer, and refute a post with facts wherever possible; don't go meaninglessly degrading the opinions of your fellow posters. This is, of course, as a fellow user, not as a moderator or anything. I have no such authority. :)

:arrow: On the Topic...

I would agree, insofar as my opinion concurs, that the Honourable Stephen Harper may not be advertising his entire agenda to the people of Canada. With all due respect to the Conservative Party of Canada and the Leader of the Opposition, I don't believe that it would be possible for him to have changed so dramatically since some of his more, shall we say "questionable" speeches, far less than a decade ago.

:!: Edit Corrected a typo.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
I must concur with FivePAradox,

Not only is it very unlikely that Harper has changed his views in a short time from his well documented right-wing, pro-american postion but even the supposed values he now claims to hold are at odds with Canadiana.

That was a good post Alberta's Finest. While reading it I finally realized who Harper reminds me of with that ear-to-ear smile that gets shown so often. He reminds me of the grinch in the scene where he hatches his plan to steal christmas.

KanBob

Nominee Member
Jan 11, 2006
Alberta
Re: Respect in the Forum

FiveParadox said:
I would agree, insofar as my opinion concurs, that the Honourable Stephen Harper may not be advertising his entire agenda to the people of Canada. With all due respect to the Conservative Party of Canada and the Leader of the Opposition, I don't believe that it would be possible for him to have changed so dramatically since some of his more, shall we say "questionable" speeches, far less than a decade ago.

:!: Edit Corrected a typo.

One can only wonder then what you think about the entire agenda of the Liberal Party. After all, there is the number one priority, changing the Charter to remove the notwithstanding clause, and not a peep about it in the official Liberal red book! The number one priority and Bucky Martin was trying to keep it hidden?

Is that scary, or just really, really scary?

What else does Bucky have in his hidden agenda he's not telling us? What about the number two priority? What is that? Why won't he tell us? What's he hiding from Canadians?

Why?

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
I guess somewhat implicit in this idea that Harper’s values are out of sync with the mainstream is that since a sizeable percentage of Canadians appear ready to vote conservative that this group does not understand how they are in effect voting against their values. That’s an interesting concept. Maybe only real Canadians vote liberal.

From the US I am on the phone with Canadians everyday and many are ready to vote conservative not because of a concern with values but because of a concern with integrity. Although I would prefer a real liberal government not tainted with corruption I do respect other’s rights to disagree and see the world a bit differently and have alternate political views. To make a litmus test that to be Canadian you have to have a particular viewpoint seems to stand in conflict with what Canada represents and that is diversity.

nomore

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2006
Jersay said:
Oh wait, I already voted for a party that has real Canadian values at heart.

I didn't realize High Taxes and bankruptcy were Canadian values. :wink:

Citizen

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
"During this election, Stephen Harper has made 196 promises to the Canadian people," Martin said. "But in his platform, his party comes up at least $22 billion short on how they are going to pay for them."

Are there any conservative voters around who could comment on this quote from Paul Martin?

KanBob

Nominee Member
Jan 11, 2006
Alberta
Re: RE: Harper appeals to Canadian values

Citizen said:
"During this election, Stephen Harper has made 196 promises to the Canadian people," Martin said. "But in his platform, his party comes up at least $22 billion short on how they are going to pay for them."

Are there any conservative voters around who could comment on this quote from Paul Martin?

Well, that first promise, to Stand Up for Canada, sounds like a pretty good one to me.

I think it is a little beyond believeable to be concerned about the Liberals doing the math on the Conservative platform. Is anyone listening to them?

There was a budget last April or so when Goodale said the budget was in danger of falling into deficit. I guess he just missed that $9 billion surplus.

And wasn't it the Liberals who said in the last election that the Conservative budget forcasts they used in their platform was off by $50 billion (over 5 years). Turns out though, they were right on the money.

Or as the second question put it when Martin rolled out his critique of the Conservatives on teh 14th (the first question had to deal with Tony Valeris $275,000 3 month profit on a real-estate flip to a Liberal friendly campaign supporter)

"In 2004 you said the same thing about Mr. Harper's projections, saying that it was irresponsible, that he could not cut taxes and re-invest in health care and so-forth. You said it was the American model. And you're coming back with the same party line again. And we're seeing that in your own budgetary projections, well, in fact they're pretty close to the Conservative ones that came out in 2004. So why should we believe you today, given what you've already said?"

We're still waiting for the answer.