Pots calling Pans Black! What a campaign!

cyberclark

Electoral Member
What a campaign! Pots calling pans black. Or, perhaps just short memories?

When the Conservative Minister of Transport Mr. John Crosby was riding high, he owned his own steamship line. (Similar to Mr. Martin’s). This steamship company had it’s own flags of convenience as do most companies. No one said he was less than Canadian! Mr. Crosby introduced the Dangerous Goods Legislation. The Marine safety inspectors were not allowed to investigate Mr. Crosby’s ships as it applied to the transport of dangerous goods. It was a kinder time I think.

When the Conservative Minister of Transportation Mr. Don Mazankowski was riding high, he undertook to privatize the Crown Corporation, Northern Transportation Co. Ltd. At the time he took bids from a number of companies even though he had no intention of selling NTCL to them. Hundreds of thousands of dollars went over the moon on that one. The kicker is, Mr. Mazankowski made himself President of Northern Transportation Company to facilitate the sale of the company.

A Minister of the Crown making himself president of a company he is selling on behalf of the crown! I guess its hard to break a mould. If there are any shady deals going on, chances are the Conservatives invented it!

John Clark
cyberclark@shaw.ca

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Even the vaunted NDP has a lot of skeletons in their closets. Remember all the scandals when they were running B.C.? I seriously believe that the only reason anyone wants to get elected for is to get their greedy mitts on all the loot they can before they are caught.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
missile said:
Even the vaunted NDP has a lot of skeletons in their closets. Remember all the scandals when they were running B.C.? I seriously believe that the only reason anyone wants to get elected for is to get their greedy mitts on all the loot they can before they are caught.

true... But I'd argue that the Federal NDP is different then provincial NDP parties. As you can see NDP party policy by province is different and nationally are different. Just like how Conservative parties are different by province to province and province to fed.

I think the BC NDP are closer to the Liberal norm then other NDP parties and the BC Liberal party is more centre right then most liberal parties. *shrugs*

nomore

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2006
cyberclark said:
What a campaign! Pots calling pans black. Or, perhaps just short memories?

When the Conservative Minister of Transport Mr. John Crosby was riding high, he owned his own steamship line. (Similar to Mr. Martin’s). This steamship company had it’s own flags of convenience as do most companies. No one said he was less than Canadian! Mr. Crosby introduced the Dangerous Goods Legislation. The Marine safety inspectors were not allowed to investigate Mr. Crosby’s ships as it applied to the transport of dangerous goods. It was a kinder time I think.

When the Conservative Minister of Transportation Mr. Don Mazankowski was riding high, he undertook to privatize the Crown Corporation, Northern Transportation Co. Ltd. At the time he took bids from a number of companies even though he had no intention of selling NTCL to them. Hundreds of thousands of dollars went over the moon on that one. The kicker is, Mr. Mazankowski made himself President of Northern Transportation Company to facilitate the sale of the company.

A Minister of the Crown making himself president of a company he is selling on behalf of the crown! I guess its hard to break a mould. If there are any shady deals going on, chances are the Conservatives invented it!

John Clark
cyberclark@shaw.ca

Difference is, crosby wasn't running for Priminister, and also wasn't the one making the taxes so high that companys had no choice but to run out of different countries. He also wasn't claiming to be "the only one standing for Canadian values" as Martin is.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
I know it’s like a bunch of thieves accusing each other of infidelities. And we could all be bought. But should political office only be only about the rewards corruption can bring? I’ve seen more than a few references in international papers to Canada’s unwillingness to create a system of oversight to thwart corrupt practices not only among politicians but in the civil service. But there is no interest for this reform in Canada. And so yes the conservatives will probably turn out to be just as corrupt as the liberals if they manage to hold power for any significant amount of time. What is needed in Canada is a system of oversight and very severe penalties for politicians and civil servants who break the law. Until there are repercussions and not just rewards for corruption Canada will simply have a corrupt government that mismanages the country.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
missile said:
The only John Crosby I know of was a Newfoundland cabinet minister..can't remember what he ran..fisheries,perhaps?

My point was that it's CROSBIE.

I know spelling doesn't count, but for god's sake, names are important. Especially if you're going to cast nasturiums at people.

cyberclark

Electoral Member
Picking up on the NDP and BC:
There was a small beatle population in the trees some distance outside of Prince George BC. It was reported along with the recomendation a road be built into the site in order to fully expunge or irridate the beatles.

The outbreak was caused because of climate change. The only thing that kills these things is -40 degree temperatures. The use of fire is not totally effective but can be used to take down the progross by cutting food for expansion.

Anyway, the environmental group in that party very strong at the time came out against the road. Leave nature take it's course.

Now the beatle infected population is greater than the area of PEI and for all intents and purposes un controlable. It has caused the planned burn in the crowsnest to try to halt the progress.

This is typical of Governments pressured by one group or another to the exclusion of the jurisdiction its self.

Martin is guilty of the same thing in his Gun program.

That doesn't make me a fan of Harper!