Conservatism: Quick fix to Martin or lasting

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now I have seen on some forms that some wacko conservatives think that Harper winning is a score for Christian values and a victory for war in Iraq and against gay-marriage. And sadly, most come from Alberta. However, they say the liberal movement will now become a think of the past, however, I think they are smoking something.

This elections shows the anger of Canadians against Martin and the Liberals not the Liberalist movement. Therefore if your boy Harper screws up, it will be a while before Conservatives get elected again.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think the resugence of the conservative movement is a reaction to not having a reasonable alternative to the Liberals....and Chretien, followed by Martin, seem to have decided to govern by doing as little as possible.

People have grown weary of having nothing significant of a positive nature come out of Ottawa, and are looking for a change.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
I agree if the Torys don't make good in ottawa they will be out again...however if Harper is seen as doing a good job, we could see an end to the Liberal Party for a long time.....not to mention Martin's and his joke of a legacy.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I think the resugence of the conservative movement is a reaction to not having a reasonable alternative to the Liberals....and Chretien, followed by Martin, seem to have decided to govern by doing as little as possible.

People have grown weary of having nothing significant of a positive nature come out of Ottawa, and are looking for a change.
I agree if the Torys don't make good in ottawa they will be out again...however if Harper is seen as doing a good job, we could see an end to the Liberal Party for a long time.....not to mention Martin's and his joke of a legacy.

So, I guess that the reaction is that it doesn't seem to be a movement, a deep-hearted movement to conservatism, but a reaction to 13 years of corruption unless Harper and the Conservatives can show good government.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Quick Solution

I would assert that the current surge of support for the Conservative Party of Canada is not so much "support," but rather "discontent" with the current Government of Canada.

As was mentioned by an above poster, this in my opinion is more of a temporary solution than anything else — once the Liberal Party of Canada has been returned to Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, it is my sincere belief that Canadians will have considered that to have been "time served."

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
yes, but if the Tory government becomes popular we may see a strong shift in support for the Torys from the grassroots up......much like we have seen for the Liberals. They "had" such a stronghold that it took an massive amount of corruption, arrogance and mismanagement for the Liberals to loose their support.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The election isn't over yet — in my opinion, the electorate is extremely skiddish right now; if it looks as if the Hon. Stephen Harper could take a majority, or if he does or says anything that would elude to his more "radical," for lack of a better term, right-wing past, I think that we could see a snap increase in support for the Grits.

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
It all depends on how the Tories, should they be elected, would govern. If the economy runs smoothly under them, and they don't do too many things to upset the electorate (i.e. overly radical change, scandals of their own, etc...), they could be in power for some time.

If the Tories have an economy as good as the Liberals, but none of the scandal of the Liberals, they could be in power for a very long time.

However, the Tories would have to govern exceptionally well, and use the bully pulpit of being the majority party to its greatest efficiency, to really move Canada away from its current Center-Left position. It's possible, but Harper would have to be nothing short of a Trudeau-level Prime Minister to pull it off.

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
Re: RE: Conservatism: Quick fix to Martin or lasting

FiveParadox said:
The election isn't over yet — in my opinion, the electorate is extremely skiddish right now; if it looks as if the Hon. Stephen Harper could take a majority, or if he does or says anything that would elude to his more "radical," for lack of a better term, right-wing past, I think that we could see a snap increase in support for the Grits.

Actually, we could see an increase for the NDP. The NDP are very wisely taking a page from the Liberal playbook, and are now arguing (smartly so) that if Canadians want a strong opposition to the Conservatives, they should vote for the NDP, not the highly corrupt Liberals. Jack Layton himself has made very poignant, and strong, criticisms of Paul Martin - much greater, interestingly, than any of his recent criticisms of Stephen Harper.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Triple_R, I was referring, rather, to an effort to vote for the Liberal Party of Canada in order to prevent the Conservative Party of Canada from receiving a mandate (least of all, one with a majority).

I don't think that anyone is honestly asserting that we are going to see the New Democratic Party of Canada being appointed to the Official Opposition.

:!: Edited Note
Rather, I don't think that anyone would imply that the NDP is going to be seen as the Official Opposition for the Thirty-ninth Parliament, in particular; some time in the future, though, who knows?