G.S.T. Cut Ineffective

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This is an excerpt from the Blog at the Liberal Party Web site.

Scott Feschuk said:
Just had a chance to check in with the Conservative Spin-O-Matic 3000 Blogging Supercomputer and Water-Pik. Despite stark differences related to party affiliation, ideological viewpoint and favourite ice cream, I can't help but feel that in a different world, in a different time, we could be friends. Or, failing that, that it could be my toaster oven.

Anyway, Bloggie - I call it Bloggie - has been going on about the nationwide good-time penny-saving jamboree that would be kicked off by Stephen Harper's plan to reduce the GST. God, he's adorable! (Bloggie, I mean, not Stephen Harper. All things considered, Mr. Harper qualifies more as "rugged," like Clint Eastwood or most forms of linoleum.)

Allow me to quote directly from Bloggie: "Stephen visited an auto dealership in the riding of Kitchener-Conestoga to talk about the savings that families – especially those who don’t earn enough to pay income tax – would see when the GST is lowered to 5% over the course of his first mandate. With the GST cut your family would save on the purchase of a minivan..."

At which point Bloggie displayed a very nice photograph of Stephen Harper standing alongside a $24,000 minivan.

Since I know Bloggie is capable of processing 4.17 trillion calculations per second, I won't hesitate to ask it this one simple question: How many families that don't earn enough to pay income tax and have resisted pursuing a hobby in the alluring field of armed robbery can afford to buy a $24,000 minivan?
It makes a good point, in my opinion.

Citizen

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
Any GST reduction is meant to benefit the wealthy only.

The savings to low/middle income earners will be negligible and it's incredible how many Canadians are falling for this scam of Harper's.

nomore

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2006
Poor people have familes too, and they need to get around just like the rest of us. They might not be able to afford a brand new minivan, but they might still need to get a used minivan, or a used car, which are both also taxable by the GST. Not to mention all the other essential services that are taxable by the GST.

Please explain to me how the liberals income tax cut helps people who don't pay any.

You can try and bash the conservative tax plan all you want, but so far it is the only one out of the liberals and conservatives that actually addresses the lowest income earners.

so tell me again which one is for the rich.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I think GST should be removed from many commonly bought items. groceries is one thing it should be removed from completely. OK things like candy bars, coke and other items which are bad for your health, not so much. But items like mac and cheese, bottled water, oj, even froozen pizza shouldn't have GST on it. Putting GST on groceries is an attack on the poor and the middle class and threw out the years the gst has been put on more and more groceries.

besides that gst isn't too bad.

thats my two cents

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
The people who support the Liberal income tax cut plan on the basis that it is better for the poorer people are misled. The Liberal plan which only affects the lowest income earners, does nothing to help the people who are not earning. The Tory plan will be a cut for everyone, and their plan to help families, and other tax incentives have been found marginally better for the poor population, while also benefitting middle income and upper income people as well. Actually on the "liberal biased" CBC they did one of them reality checks on the two plans and found the Conservative plan better for the lower income people.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Finder said:
I think GST should be removed from many commonly bought items. groceries is one thing it should be removed from completely. OK things like candy bars, coke and other items which are bad for your health, not so much. But items like mac and cheese, bottled water, oj, even froozen pizza shouldn't have GST on it. Putting GST on groceries is an attack on the poor and the middle class and threw out the years the gst has been put on more and more groceries.

thats my two cents

GST is applied to prepared foods, candy, etc, but food that you cook yourself is not taxed. That's why a lot of pizza places sell pizzas that are all assembled but not cooked - they don't have GST applied to them. Are you saying that mac and cheese, and frozen pizza have GST applied? Are you sure?

GST is not applied to groceries.

GST is the best form of a consumption tax that there is. If Harper wanted to make a point, he'd mention that there's GST on gasoline as well, and instead of mentioning a $24,000 minivan, he'd talk about the fact that you'd see a cent off the price of gasoline...

Breakthrough2006

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2005
32% of Canadians do not pay any income tax. This represents the poorest of the poor.

Benefit from Fiberals income tax cut: ZERO

These same poor people pay the GST on anything they buy except groceries.

Why are we having this discussion again?

To answer the question from the autobot Fiberal about the minivan. Simple. They borrow money from the bank or lease the vehicle. They will still be on the hook for the extra $500 if the GST is not reduced.

The Fiberal that made that comment has pockets full of money after stealing our tax dollars. He has lost touch with reality to the point where he forgot that most Canadians borrow for major purchases.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"G.S.T. Cut Ineffective"

If the GST cut is ineffective then why did the liberals under Chrétien run a campaign with a promise to get rid of it?

For Liberals the promise was very effective....the reality is the cuts weren’t effective, because they lied through their teeth again and didn't do a bloody thing about it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

thats my two cents

There is no GST on food.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There is no GST on food.

Yes and no, technically you are dead on, but grocery stores sell a lot of "edible" crap- that I wouldn't call food, but yet seems to take up a lot of space in some shoppers shopping carts, which is taxable not to mention subject to all the environmental levies. I don't know what the line of reasoning is but if you buy a package of doughnuts, they are not taxable but if you go to the bulk food department and buy one it is. Mulroney deserves to be shot.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Yes and no, technically you are dead on, but grocery stores sell a lot of "edible" crap- that I wouldn't call food, but yet seems to take up a lot of space in some shoppers shopping carts, which is taxable not to mention subject to all the environmental levies. I don't know what the line of reasoning is but if you buy a package of doughnuts, they are not taxable but if you go to the bulk food department and buy one it is. Mulroney deserves to be shot.
Snack foods, and pre-cooked type foods are taxable.
Real food (ie, groceries) is not.

Just because you can't grasp that fact, doesn't mean we should shoot somebody.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Repeating the same info from 20 years ago. GST is an "upfront" Tax. If you don't want to pay the extra 5% just don't buy that item. The old "Manufacturer's Tax" was hidden Tax and had multiple levels of percentage. You never knew what the Tax hit was on anything!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I remember working with the FST, which was something like 13.5%, and was a royal pain to administer.

I think the GST is a far better system.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I remember working with the FST, which was something like 13.5%, and was a royal pain to administer.

I think the GST is a far better system.

We already had about 200 different taxes before this G.S.T. was dreampt up, so I fail to see how another debillitating tax is good. Sorry, can't buy it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The GST replaced the existing FST. The FST was levied at the wholesale level; there were two different rates, and there were bizarre exemptions.

It's not a debilitating tax - it's less than half the rate of the old FST that was eliminated. How is that debilitating?

The GST is one rate, everyone pays it, as a business you subtract the GST you pay from the GST you charge out, and remit the net. It's straightforward, and simple. If we have to have taxes, the GST is the best way to do it. The more you spend, the more you pay in taxes. What's wrong with that?