Canada's customs officers need guns !!!

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?&src=n011035A.xml

Canada's customs officers need guns for their protection, says study
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONTREAL (CP) - Customs officers need to carry guns, just like the police, because of the dangerous situations and injuries they face, a news conference was told on Tuesday.

A study done for their union also says the Canadian-U.S. border is too porous and recommends a mobile border patrol that would step in to help with security.

"From assaults, to intimidation to being take hostage, these officers are faced with a daily reality - the risk to their lives and to the Canadian public is an everyday fact exacerbated by the unpredictability of human behaviour," says the study.

The study was done by the Ottawa-based Northgate Group, a private security intelligence firm.

Ron Moran, national president of the Customs Excise Union, said the federal government doesn't want to recognize how the nature of their work has changed.

The job has "evolved from one that was historically focused on generating revenue at the border to one that is now clearly more focused on law and order and security," Moran told the news conference.

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper has said he would allow border guards to carry sidearms, echoing a pledge also made by NDP Leader Jack Layton.

Moran says the federal government's own studies in the 1990s have also recommended border agents carry sidearms.

Front-line customs officers have been empowered to enforce the Criminal Code, which includes arresting drunk drivers and criminal fugitives, since July 2000.

Michel Juneau-Katsuya, head of Northgate, said U.S. border agents are armed and the "vast majority of countries have agents that are armed" unlike Canada.

"The marching order for (Canadian) custom officers is that if they are aware of a violent situation, an armed person, a violent person who is coming to their workplace, they have to withdraw," Juneau-Katsuya said.

The Canada Border Services Agency said Tuesday that it's studying the report.

"We always consider suggestions from people to improve the security of our borders and the safety of our officers," said spokeswoman Kara Prest.

"They have to let the person enter Canada and to call the police officers or the police and hope they will intercept."

The Northgate study also recommends that regional customs investigators and intelligence officers also be armed with sidearms, similar to what police officers carry. It also recommends that border personnel shouldn't be working on their own without backup.

Copies of the study will be given to leaders of Canada's political parties as well as to the president of the Canada Border Services Agency.

Moran said he wants Canada's auditor general to investigate the institutional integrity and operational competence of the Canadian Border Services Agency.

©The Canadian Press, 2006

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Use of Arms by Customs Canada

If we are not prepared to arm the standard officers at the border, then perhaps we could create a new position, to be styled Border Security personnel; they could be armed, and would be trained on effective methods to prevent crimes or unauthorized entry to the country through (a) discussion and negotiation; and (b) only if necessary, the use of force (obviously to be non-lethal in nature wherever possible) to prevent such unauthorized actions from occurring.

The Canada—United States Accord on Our Shared Borders states that Canada has agreed to "provide enhanced protection against drug smuggling and the illegal entrance of people" into the country. In my opinion, if there is at least someone at the border armed, then we could better perform to this end.

:?: Sources
(a) A summary of the Accord is available on the Canada Border Services Agency Web site, which can be accessed by clicking here.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
The problem with arming the customs officers is it is a reactionary escalation. It is very difficult to deflate such escalations as those that would be in a position to be a challenge to the customs officers will have also escalated their approach.

Does anybody not see the dangerous direction the country would be going in to be both wanting greater numbers of armed "authorities" and greater restrictions on "arms"?

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: Use of Arms by Customs Canada

FiveParadox said:
If we are not prepared to arm the standard officers at the border, then perhaps we could create a new position, to be styled Border Security personnel; they could be armed, and would be trained on effective methods to prevent crimes or unauthorized entry to the country through (a) discussion and negotiation; and (b) only if necessary, the use of force (obviously to be non-lethal in nature wherever possible) to prevent such unauthorized actions from occurring.

The Canada—United States Accord on Our Shared Borders states that Canada has agreed to "provide enhanced protection against drug smuggling and the illegal entrance of people" into the country. In my opinion, if there is at least someone at the border armed, then we could better perform to this end.

:?: Sources
(a) A summary of the Accord is available on the Canada Border Services Agency Web site, which can be accessed by clicking here.

good ideas fiveparadox...although I would prefer arming the current guards rather than creating a new position, at least you are not handicapped by you ideological bias. :wink:

Does anybody not see the dangerous direction the country would be going in to be both wanting greater numbers of armed "authorities" and greater restrictions on "arms"?

:roll: ...... i guess you are the only one feeling this way bud....and for the record I believe your the fellow that would like to see greater restrictions on arms!

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
no, i don't think the gun bans work, but that a registry properly run does.

My approach is education. The "ideal" (and it is the ideal, and thus some other measures are necessary) is for guns to be available, but people do not have any desire for them. "more guns-tough on crime" thinking is reactionary and does nothing to actually address the core issues. The "criminals" (alleged) you think an armed customs officer will stop will just use a different approach to surpass the officer. Escalation leads to nothing other than greater paranoia, not security.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I know I'm a cynic but I wonder if the "North gate Group" would like to supply the services they are reccomending?

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Arming border guards. Might not be a bad idea but, but does represent pro's and con's. it's not a clear cut solution.

Perhaps having a deadicated RCMP officer at the border 24/7 may also be a solution.

BorealRock

Dec 7, 2005
North
Hank C said:
http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?&src=n011035A.xml

The Northgate study also recommends that regional customs investigators and intelligence officers also be armed with sidearms, similar to what police officers carry. ..

Good idea for folks working right at the border (which will require lots of training, some new staffing and the weeding out out a few wackos) but do we need another level of armed officials wandering the streets? It's like seeing an armed and armored DFO fish cop walking down the street of a prarie city in winter. What the hell do they need a gun for. Or when small town by-law officers go on a 'we need to be armed trip'.
Perhaps when needed, a few 'regional customs investigators and intelligence officers' trained in the use and with weapons available. We have well trained RCMP and major city police. Thats enough gun toting officials thank you very much.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Canada's customs officers need guns !!!

the caracal kid said:

I see it, but I feel that a conservative government is going to stem the tide of disarming the public. If your worried about this sort of ideal; vote conservative.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
I don't agree with every border guard being armed to the teeth, but an armed response team or at least acess to guns in emergencies would be sensible. Really, one can't adequately protect our borders when armed solely with a Tim's Coffee and a Macleans magazine.

And if people are worried about wannabe vigilantes and yahoos being border patrol simply for the chance to tote a gun, make the assessment tests and training harder.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
missile said:
Armed RCMP officers at the Border crossings is a good idea, and they should be in full uniform,too[good for the tourists :) ]

I agree completely.

These guys

or these guys