• Duceppe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
My immediate views:

Duceppe did the best. (even with his gaffes)
Layton sounded like a broken record with his "thrid option"
Harper looked so stiff and also far too rehearsed.
Martin, well, he was the usual Martin but he seemed on top of his game.

edit: to expand on why i think duceppe performed the best:
1 - for referencing how cons and libs are both alike in many ways
2 - for his comment on how the bloc reviews each piece of legislature and decides how to vote on it based on if it is good for Quebec. If only a party was like that nationally. Imagine a party voting based on what is best for Canada? Yea, it won't happen, which is why it is time to create a new federal system.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I think it was Layton, Duceppe and I wouldn't even want to rank Harper or Martin, because they were both awful.

I caught at least three mistakes that could effect Harper and Martin.

Citizen

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
If Duceppe was running in my area, he'd probably get my vote. I'd give him a B+

Harper looked like he was watching someone behind the camerman holding up a sign that said "SMILE NOW!". He's a creepy and insincere looking fellow. He gets a resounding F.

Layton sounded like an NDP commercial with his "third option" refrain ending every comment. He gets a B

Martin was.............well he was vintage Martin. I prefer his policies over those of Harper's any day, so Martin gets a B.

nomore

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2006
Re: RE: 2nd English Debate: Who did the best

the caracal kid said:
My immediate views:

Duceppe did the best. (even with his gaffes)
Layton sounded like a broken record with his "thrid option"
Harper looked so stiff and also far too rehearsed.
Martin, well, he was the usual Martin but he seemed on top of his game.

edit: to expand on why i think duceppe performed the best:
1 - for referencing how cons and libs are both alike in many ways
2 - for his comment on how the bloc reviews each piece of legislature and decides how to vote on it based on if it is good for Quebec. If only a party was like that nationally. Imagine a party voting based on what is best for Canada? Yea, it won't happen, which is why it is time to create a new federal system.

I think I would have to agree

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
First that he didn't explain how his tax cuts would effect the poor people of Canada.

Second, how he would give large corporate tax cuts

And had nothing about getting to the root problems of Crime.

Citizen

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
Jersay said:
First that he didn't explain how his tax cuts would effect the poor people of Canada.

Second, how he would give large corporate tax cuts

And had nothing about getting to the root problems of Crime.

:?: Harper or Martin?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I have to applaud Martins comment in regards to the NWC, it gives too much power to one governing body with no checks and balances. Everything else was politicians thinking about getting the most seats. The moderator won. :D

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
My thoughts on the second English language debate earlier tonight:

Harper did ok - he held his own which is what he needed to do. Hate that little half-grin whenever he thought he had made a good point. And speaking of good points, I thought he made a hell of a point when commenting after some of the Martin/Duceppe exchanges that Martin had an opportunity to debate Duceppe on these issues but declined.

Martin looked like a deer caught in the headlights at times when getting slammed for the scandals. He still had his moments, though, including his quote about values "America is our neighbour not our nation". Still, anyone keeping score would point out that the Liberals had 12 years in power to address these "important" issues.

Layton's theme was to paint the NDP as a viable alternative that can be effective in Parliament. Had some kind of weird white eye shadow on. To me he seemed like a man on the sidelines from the real action.

Duceppe I thought was the "winner" of the debate, to the extent that there can be a winner. Hammered at the 'fiscal deficit' between Ottawa and the provinces. Like his comment about Martin: "he campaigns like he is NDP, but governs like the Tories". Where have I heard that before? The moderator hit him with a good question about why it is ok to have vote after vote on seperatism but not to have another vote on SSM.

Most interesting of all.... in the CBC's coverage after the debate they produced calculations that backed up the Tories claim that they offered more tax relief in total, and the most of any party for lower income people. !!!!!

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I think not said:
I have to applaud Martins comment in regards to the NWC, it gives too much power to one governing body with no checks and balances. Everything else was politicians thinking about getting the most seats. The moderator won. :D

Envoking the NWC only gives a five-year respite for the government and society to adapt to a court decision. It does not give the government carte blanche to ignore the decision. On top of that, envoking the NWC cannot be done without serious political consequences.

poligeek

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
Toronto
It reallly is picking the best of the worse, I think Duceppe wins by process of elimination.

Harper - is simply a poor debator, can someone please explain to me why the conservatives simply don't oust Harper and put in McKay? Really, he's much more personable, and is a great public speaker.

Martin - was bumbling, stumbled too much, evaded a lot of questions and completely ignored many good quips that were sent his way by Duceppe and Layton.

Layton - did okay for someone who hasn't been in federal politics for a long time, but did sound like a broken record. And I really hate the way he is always, so obviously reading off his call sheets, I get a little dizzy watching his head bob up and down, from the paper to the camera.

Okay so that leaves Duceppe, who I think always does well in the English debates because he is much more relaxed and has very little to loose, since I would guess that the majority of Bloc supporters watch the French language.

Is anyone going to watch both?

yballa09

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Rexburg, Idaho
No one really stood out for me, although I did notice a few things.
Harper stood his ground. He didn't do anything that he hasn't already said or introduced, and look average, which was probably good enough for the party. The big thing for him will be tomorrow in the french debate. With the Cons gaining ground in Quebec all eyes will be on him.
Martin was solid and did show some passion which impressed me. That doesn't take away the scandals that have engulfed his party, but he seems to always be well spoken and holds his ground.
Layton, as some have said earlier, did at times sound like a broken record. I like watching Layton give speeches and find him to be quite charismatic, but I thought he didn't perform to his full potential today.
Duceppe I found to be just average. Maybe it's just because there's so little that he talks about and the whole separatist thing angers me in the first place, so maybe I had a tainted view on his performance.

All in all I found it quite entertaining, and yes, I will watch the French debate tomorrow.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Duceppe had only one point to make and that was,"If it helps Quebec we support it. If it doesn't help Quebec we don't." He made that point quite a few times.

Layton could only talk about the sponsership scandal and what marvelous guys the NDP are.

Harper Showed he can smile and lie at the same time.

I thought Martin handled himself pretty well considering the other three were on him all night.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Duceppe only has to speak for Quebec so I don't give too much credit although he articulates his points well and has a way of looking pissed off but not scary.

Layton was pretty weak and he diden't answer much and get his policy out there to compare with the Torys and the Grits. I think he was way too scripted and seemed a little phoney to me. Give us more NDP Mps was his main message....and he had it easy as he was not being attacked or ever put on the spot like the 3 others.

Harper and Martin were both average...both had their moments but nothing great. Martin did look like he would say anything to win an election and that he actually beleives what he says when he brought up the handgun ban and his not-withstanding clause comments. I think if this debate is scored as a draw by most Canadians....it will be Martin who comes away worse, seeing as how this was his chance to "scare" Ontario about Harper ....but frankly I think it is falling on deaf ears.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Winner: The Rt. Hon. Paul Martin

In my honest opinion, the Right Honourable Paul Martin "won" the debate tonight; his messages that the parties should return to the issues, rather than to continue to entertain discussion and debate on the workings of the Government of the Chrétien era, should resonate with many people of Canada.

For example, consider the ads aired on television by the Conservative Party of Canada — I would like to see an ad that contains something Conservative, rather than thirty seconds of out-of-context quotes from the Hon. John Gomery. I have yet to see them quote the passage that exonerated the current members of the Government.

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
I felt that it was largely a stand pat debate. I don't see this debate having much affect on public support for either of the four parties... except possibly in the more English parts of Quebec.

Martin looked weak at a couple points during the debate on the national unity question, which, to me, appears to be one of the main thrusts of his campaign.

That is something that Harper could build on for Tuesday Night's debate, particularly given changing Conservative poll numbers in Quebec.

However, I doubt that this debate will, perhaps ironically, have much electoral impact on the election outside of Quebec.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Effect of the Debate

I quite agree with your assertion, Triple_R, that the effect of this debate will be negligible outside of the Province of Québec; in fact, I doubt that we are going to see much of an impact in that Province, either.