Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dabble of everything

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
With Canada and Quebec heading to another referendum, and other problems, like Alberta and social issues affecting our country. Does Canada need some kind of civil-war like America to fix out its problems to become a powerful country it once was.

Just look at the States, five bloody years of fighting each other and know they control the world. :D

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I can surely see a major internal Canadian conflict arrising within the next 10 years but I have deep faith in the non-violence of Canadian people. My guess is that we will witness the federal level of government implode on itself because of too much pressure coming from the provinces. Canada will probably be go through critical years of restucturing during which we will be quite vulnerable economically... Hopefully, we would indeed grow stronger as a community once things get back on track. I have a feeling however that all this will be happening in parallel to similar problems in the US. Whether or not this would be good or not I do not know...

To me, it is obvious that the biggest issue Canadians will have to face is what role they want to give the federal government. Quebec has been extremely outspoken about this but it concerns all provinces. While most Canadians don't agree with Quebec's constant demands for independance (not necessarily total separation), it will at least force Canada to clarify the roles of the federal and provincial governments.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
If we did need a civil war it is one we could easliy fight without a shot fired. All provinces withhold all taxes payed to the Feds.....the feds and their current federalism would fall, and we could get back on track with the provinces keeping their EXCLUSIVE areas of jusirdiction and the feds could maybe focus on the assortment of responsibilities given to them; you know, things like the army, coast gaurd, pretty little bank notes...

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Re: RE: Does Canada need Civil-War to fix out its problems

Jay said:
If we did need a civil war it is one we could easliy fight without a shot fired. All provinces withhold all taxes payed to the Feds.....the feds and their current federalism would fall, and we could get back on track with the provinces keeping their EXCLUSIVE areas of jusirdiction and the feds could maybe focus on the assortment of responsibilities given to them; you know, things like the army, coast gaurd, pretty little bank notes...

Right on! It is time provinces stand up for themselves.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Jersay

What an ugly thought. I wonder if you know Canada and Canadians very well?

The primary purpose of a democracy is to talk and argue and yes fight among the people - that is why elections are held - that is why there is fierce "campmanship" of ideologies.

It takes place the place of warlords, dictators, kings, and tribal insurrections such as what keeps the continent of Africa from becoming the jewel it could be as it has blessed by natural wealth and beauty.

I hope you were just surmising the thought - it was one posited by someone with a lack of historical perspective.

Canada became Canada with bloodshed. Are you looking for more?

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
If,in fact,we Canadians truly wanted to effect changes...all we need to do is hold national "strike" days...days when we don't drive our cars,or buy gasoline...days when we don't purchase anything at a store.
Perhaps days where we bombard the feds with e mails about issues common to all Canadians...after all,if Rick Mercer can get over a million hits on his web site(the funny one about having Stockwell Day's first name changed to Doris),surely our elected representatives would sit up and take notice.
We're a pretty passive lot,we Canadians...and so we get the government we deserve.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I voted yes. The ROC always bitches about T.O... well, we've formed our own massive army and when they're not busy shovelling snow during the winter, we'll go around the country busting some heads. Evening the score, so to speak. :p

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Somehow....I don't think anyone will take the "T.O. army" seriously. :)

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Jersay

What an ugly thought. I wonder if you know Canada and Canadians very well?

The primary purpose of a democracy is to talk and argue and yes fight among the people - that is why elections are held - that is why there is fierce "campmanship" of ideologies.

It takes place the place of warlords, dictators, kings, and tribal insurrections such as what keeps the continent of Africa from becoming the jewel it could be as it has blessed by natural wealth and beauty.

I hope you were just surmising the thought - it was one posited by someone with a lack of historical perspective.

Canada became Canada with bloodshed. Are you looking for more?

I don't want civil-war but it is a perspective. It is a perspective in any country, western or third-world. There is always a chance for violence.

Canada was made with bloodshed yes. The conflicts between aboriginal and European people as well as the 'genocide' by disease and biological warfare that left 90% of Aboriginal people dead in Canada. Then you could add the Sevens Year War, the War of 1812, and the Fenians, and finally Louis Riel.

However, one could say, even though I don't believe it, that the last armed conflict in Canada was the 1885 Rebellion. So if you go off that, it has been 120 yrs since conflict has touched the soil of Canada.

However with the increased tension growing in Canada, there is a chance that violence and civil-war could take place. Because of the situation in Canada, any war would be bloody but it is a possibility.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
it doesn't NEED a civil war, but it does need SOMETHING to stimulate the "sticks in the mud" to actually start rebuilding the country into a modern democracy (if that is what is wanted). Change won't come from the top because it means surrendering power. Change needs to come from the bottom, one way or another. No matter which route is taken, organization is necessary. This is why the separation issue is currently the best shot at forcing a recreating of the country.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
But isn't the seperation issue breaking up the country? Not alot of people are of the same thought that if Quebec sperates it will create a whole new and better Canada.

They think it would cause instability in Quebec, but also instability in Canada. Which could possibly lead to conflict or strife.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Separation forces the issue of redefining canada.

perhaps a new constitution and federal government could be constructed and agreed upon by all, perhaps there would be a few new countries.

The outcome is uncertian, but the risks are worth the rewards because the current system is a failure.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Perhaps if we followed the one we have, we wouldn't have these separation issues.

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
Does Canada need Civil-war? Civil wars kill people, lot's of people including kids. Do you really want that? Yeah, you are certifiable to be promoting war, any war!

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
This is a bullshit topic. Canada will never be in a civil war regardless what happens.

If Quebec wants to sepparate it will. If there is conflict it will only be inside of Quebec. The rest of Canada will not be affected in the least. No one outside of Quebec will rush in there to fight for either case.

Like the FLQ crisis of the 70's, it was only Quebecois fighting Quebecois.