Are Conservatives Right-Wing or Centralist (1990s era)

Are the Conservatives right-wing or centralist?

• Right-wing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Centralist

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now from a post I read in the Green Party thread. It got me thinging.

With the merger of the Canadian Alliance, the Reform and the PC, has the party gone from a centralist party into a party of right-wing radicals that are the minority in Canada?

nomore

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2006
I think they have become very centralist. I think the views are very subjective however.

I personally think that the Liberals and NDP have become so far Left, that it makes the centralist views of the Conservative party look more right than they actually are.

But really it all comes down to personal views.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Two parties screaming to keep a federally centralized health care system completely public, and one saying we need a blended system. I would have to agree that the conservatives are centrist on that major issue while the others are far, far out in left field playing catch the funds with Castro.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
What an interesting topic. This definately falls under a personal point of view. Taking under the consideration most NDP supporters believe that all corporations are inherently "evil" and the state knows better than any individual could ever hope for, I would have to say that ideology falls just short of communism. That's not to say NDP is that far left, I just get that idea from the way NDP supporters express their opinions. It seems that's the NDP base.

Now if you're in that camp, it stands to reason everybody else ranges from right wing to neo-conservatism. So I guess the Liberals are right wing and the CPC is neo-conservative.

From a distance I would place the NDP is far left, the Libs as center leaning more towards the left and the CPC as right.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
And I might add, ITN, there is no far right wing party in Canada. (worth mentioning anyways)

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Reform Party:

The Reform Party was founded as a populist party to promote reform of democratic institutions. However, shortly after the 1987 founding convention, social and fiscal conservatives became dominant within the party, and pushed it to the political right. Their political aims were a reduction in government spending on social programs, and reductions in taxation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_Party_of_Canada

Unsure, how far right it was.

You could say the Christian Heirtage Party is right or far-right. Listen to the radio about them, their ideology is practically scary.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
they are pseudo-centrist.

they are playing the centrist on stage knowing that if their right-wing base were revealed they would never stand a chance at winning an election.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
I think not said:
Now if you're in that camp, it stands to reason everybody else ranges from right wing to neo-conservatism. So I guess the Liberals are right wing and the CPC is neo-conservative.

Now ITN, I understand you've been in the company of morons for some time now, and so I can forgive some transgressions, but the comment above is a little bit much...

Shadia B. Drury

Drury has taught Political Science and Philosophy at two western Canadian universities: first at the University of Calgary and now at the University of Regina, where she holds the Canada Research Chair in Social Justice.

She's been speaking out and writing about this phenomenon since the advent of the Reform Party, and with every new incarnation of the party, the Straussian influence tends to be more prominent than the previous.

Are you really going to sit there and try to contend that you know more about this topic than she does ITN?

Might I suggest that you stop reading conservative blogs (because while entertaining for trench-coat mafia teens, they are chock full of lies and hatred) and pick up a fucking book already. It matters little to me if you insult your own intelligence, but don't then heap your absurd logic on the rest of us...

I Think Not...as apt a name as any... :wink:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Gee Vanni...I see you've been taking your nice pills again.

"In Drury's opinion, contemporary society is threatened by a small school of American academics labeled Straussians, "

Sound like conspiracy theory to me...they used to say it was THE Jews...seems like she has simply narrowed it down to one of them.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I didn't know that all the social programs have been cut. I've gotta learn to keep up.

I also didn't know that social programming was progressive. I would have thought that a society that didn't need social programming any more would be progress....I just need to get with the programming I guess. (I haven't turned the CBC on in awhile…maybe that explains it)

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Are Conservatives Right-Wing or Centralist (1990s er

Jay said:
I didn't know that all the social programs have been cut. I've gotta learn to keep up.

I also didn't know that social programming was progressive. I would have thought that a society that didn't need social programming any more would be progress....I just need to get with the programming I guess. (I haven't turned the CBC on in awhile…maybe that explains it)

I think that for the most part, the need is there, but funds have been cut regardless of need.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: Are Conservatives Right-Wing or Centralist (1990s er

Jay said:
Gee Vanni...I see you've been taking your nice pills again.

There aren't pills enough in the world to bring into focus your whacked reality Jay... :?

"In Drury's opinion, contemporary society is threatened by a small school of American academics labeled Straussians, "

Jay said:
Sound like conspiracy theory to me...they used to say it was THE Jews...seems like she has simply narrowed it down to one of them.

Typical response to accusations levelled at the right...luckily, I don't give a rat's ass what it sounds like to you...and I'm sure neither does Professor Drury...

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Vanni Fucci said:
Now ITN, I understand you've been in the company of morons for some time now, and so I can forgive some transgressions, but the comment above is a little bit much...

Actually I haven't been to the peak site so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Vanni Fucci said:
Are you really going to sit there and try to contend that you know more about this topic than she does ITN?

Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive. Funny isn't how you have claimed a nobel laurette can be suspiciously trying to manipulate data, but when a liberal writes a book condemning the evil empire and its hidden agenda you are quick to grasp for truths.

Linky - page 3 - scroll down

Vanni Fucci said:
I can't look at anything from a purely business perspective, as I have no head for economics. Having said that, I will point out that Gary S. Becker, while certainly deserving of recognition as a Nobel Laureate, and is a brilliant economist, he is also a neoconservative contemporary of Strauss and Friedman. He has ties to energy interests, and is an advisor to Donald Rumsfeld. Many of his associates are members of Bilderberg, CFR and Trilateral Commission.

All this leads me to be suspect of his intent...

Vanni Fucci said:
Might I suggest that you stop reading conservative blogs (because while entertaining for trench-coat mafia teens, they are chock full of lies and hatred) and pick up a *censored* book already. It matters little to me if you insult your own intelligence, but don't then heap your absurd logic on the rest of us...

I Think Not...as apt a name as any... :wink:

What would you suggest as a nice read? The Communist Manifesto? Been there done that. I was deprogrammed when I hit the age of 20, time for you to do the same. :wink:

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Jersay said:
I guess the Progressive Conservatives changed when they cut all the social programs.

Unless that is what a progressive conservative is?

I thought it was the Chretien/Martin Liberals that cut all the social programs?? And are usually martyred for it because it allowed them to balance the books.