Too American to be Canadian?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/07/AR2006010700014.html

Too American to Be Canadian?
Sunday, January 8, 2006; Page B02

Anti-American sentiments are so robust in Canada that you apparently don't even have to be American to feel their sting -- American-by-association will do. Take the case of Michael Ignatieff, the Toronto-born political scientist and human rights expert who spent the last couple of decades teaching at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government.

When he returned to Canada late last year to run for Parliament, did he get a warm welcome home from the locals? Hardly. Ignatieff had to stand down hecklers shouting "American, American!" -- and this was at the candidate nomination meeting for his electoral district, from grass-roots members of his own Liberal Party.

Ignatieff managed to win the nomination, but negative perceptions of his American -- and Bush-supporting -- veneer have dogged him on the campaign trail. The media have accused him of supporting "torture lite" for writing that legitimate interrogation can involve "some non-physical stress." He's been ridiculed for insulting the Ukrainian Canadian community with his complex (and nuanced) analysis of the Ukrainian experience under the Soviets in his 1995 book "Blood and Belonging." And he's been taunted for his support of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

Ignatieff mostly shrugs off the hounding. Although he concedes that Canadians are more critical of the Bush administration than of any other U.S. administration in recent history, he doesn't believe that long-term anti-Americanism is a problem. And as for his own return to Canada, he says he has strictly national concerns at heart. "If you've been abroad, people have legitimate questions," he said in a telephone interview. "But the politics that run in my veins are Canadian politics." The question is, will he get to play them?

-- Anna Morgan

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Well with the Ukrainian issue, most of the hostility is because there were two Ukrainian Canadians running for the nomination and the community felt that they were being pushed aside for a star-candidate.

It also has to do with Anti-Americanism, I don't know about the riding itself, but the Iraq war is extremely unpopular in Canada so saying you support it especially in politics is suicide.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agreed, Jersay.

The Iraq issue may have been one which had "compromised" the support of the then-Alliance, now Conservative Party of Canada for quite some time, when the Hon. Stephen Harper voted against a motion urging the Government to stay out of the war.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
That's an interesting article considering there have been Canadian born politicians in the US. Not to mention other countries, including Cuba 8O

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
RE: Too American to be Ca

Hmm..well lets address the issue than. Are Canadian's excessively anti-american? Is this stance based on real legitimate injustice or perception based on rhetoric and not fact. Are you more patriotic if you diss another country? Are our potential politicians more legitimate if they are the made in Canada variety?

*edited to ask one more question*.....

Do we as Canadians think we are better than everyone else?

*and one more question since i'm asking*....

Is this stand, especially by our politicans, of boo america, yay canada, improving our posture on the international world or hindering it?

Breakthrough2006

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2005
Shouting "American" like it's some sort of insult because one doesn't agree with the President is simply childish.

Hundreds if not thousands die every year trying to be included in the insult of "American".

Many of us need to grow up.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
I think not said:
That's an interesting article considering there have been Canadian born politicians in the US. Not to mention other countries, including Cuba 8O

Two that come to mind are:

David Frum, a neocon speechwriter for Bush who's trying to destroy Canada for the interests of his new masters...

...and Zbigniew Brzezinski, while originally from Poland, lived and studied in Canada in his youth, and received his BA and MA from McGill University...also, while he was National Security Advisor for Democrat president, he was considered to be the most hawkish politician of his day, and ideas from his book, The Grand Chessboard, have been seen in many of the PNAC neoconservative manifestos...while at the same time criticizing the Bush administration, and yet he remains influential in many of the think tanks that put forth neoconservative foreign policy...

A bit of bait and switch going on there, if you ask me... :wink:

In other words bad men that wish nothing more than to raise the bar of American imperialism in a bid for global domination... :wink:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The two you presented weren't elected officials, like Jennifer Granholm, incumbent Governor of Michigan, which I believe would better describe the context of the article.

And actually Brezinski, or however his name is spelt, was accredited with normalizing relations with China and the SALT II treaty. He did however also come up with the concept of totalitarianism and applied it to the Soviet Union, perhaps that's where your bubble got burst :wink:

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
The anti-Americanism I have been witnessing in Canada lately simply disg usts me. Just during this world junior hockey championship in Vancouver there were reports of fans booing the American team....thats right a bunch of 18 year old kids were booed at by these jerks because of the country they were from. I also heard a few years back a schoolbus full of children coming up to Quebec to play in a tournament were greeted by an angry mob of idiots who shouted at them and rocked their bus.....thats right it was a bus of American children that were the target....I have also heard reports of booing the American national anthem in Montreal during NHL games.

Being a dual citizen (American born/living in Canada) I have to say I have experienced hate in many parts of this country. My car with then Ohio plates was egged while parked in Toronto. I have heard many Canadians say Americans are stupid or a bunch of rednecks....its experiences like these that show me the ugly side of Canadian ignorance. You don't have to like Bush, but show some respect for the country who you have fed off of for years.

Having said that I find living in Alberta (many other Americans live here) is refreshing from the ignorance shown in other parts of the nation. Sure many people do not like Bush and critisize him, but for the most part they get past that "hatred" mentality and are very kind to American citizens. I have seen many Americans in Banff and they always strike up conversations are are nothing but friendly...thus they are greeted warmly. If only the bigots in central canada could show some class.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
nah, from my experience most Albertans do not support Bush.....but they can have a conversation rather than scream at how much they hate the US.

Obviously I am making a generalization based on experience...there are probably respectable people in Ontario and morons in Alberta too...but I am jsut speaking to the atmosphere of the two regions.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Well, I will admit that I don't like Bush or the Republicans, but I do like Americans.

Especially Californians, and IHOP, when I went to San Francisco when my dad was becoming a lawyer, I loved your IHOP. :D

Now is IHOP in Canada?

If it isn't, if you bring it up you will be able to mend many fences.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay said:
Well, I will admit that I don't like Bush or the Republicans, but I do like Americans.

Especially Californians, and IHOP, when I went to San Francisco when my dad was becoming a lawyer, I loved your IHOP. :D

Now is IHOP in Canada?

If it isn't, if you bring it up you will be able to mend many fences.

That's all we need Jersay, another evil American corporation destroying Canada's sovereignty to mend fences.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I admit it is evil, but it does tasty pancakes. :D

However, on a more important note, mending fences is important, and we will have to see if the Liberal-Conservative talk in this election about Americans was phoney, or if problems will be solved.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
IHOP in Canada!

Yes, yes!

IHOP, possibly makers of the überest pancakes on Earth, are in Canada, too! Although the only one that I have seen is in White Rock, a few kilometres from my place.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
White Rock?

Um ... heh, I have no idea. I have only ever been to Vancouver Island two or three times, when I was quite young. I want to go again and watch Question Period in the Legislature, though! And I think I may eat pancakes in White Rock before I leave. ;) lol

Um, really though, I have no idea. Giving directions is not my forté.