Crime Policy of NDP

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Vancouver — NDP Leader Jack Layton is proposing to spend $1-billion over several years fighting crime in a bid to boost the party's credibility on law and order, an issue that has rocketed to the top of the election agenda after shootings in Toronto.

The NDP was the fourth largest party in Parliament before the House dissolved for the election, and has little hope of forming the next government, but it will try to convince whichever party is leading the country to adopt its proposals.

Mr. Layton's law and order policies, to be announced Friday at a news conference in Surrey, B.C., rely heavily on community reinvestment and prevention.

He will propose tougher criminal penalties for suspects apprehended with guns, sources say, and that young offenders aged 16 and over who employ firearms should be treated as adults under the law.

The NDP will propose funding their policies by using the sales of the proceeds of crime seized by police and investing the preventative cash in the neighbourhoods where the assets were discovered.

Sources confirmed Mr. Layton will propose the cash be used to fund youth initiatives that keep kids off the street, such as recreation centres, scholarships and mentoring programs.

Party sources confirmed other elements of the plan, which was still being drafted early Friday morning, include:

– $400-million to assist youth at risk.

– $200-million over four years to help victims of violence.

– $200-million to protect witnesses and encourage Canadians to talk to authorities without worry they could be tracked down and punished by criminals.

– $200-million to help cut down on the use of crystal meth, a popular street drug.

Other elements of the NDP plan include tough sentences for illegally possessing and selling restricted guns, beefing up police efforts to crack down on gangs, and moves to halt the flow of black-market weapons into Canada from the United States.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...06.wndpcrime0106/BNStory/specialDecision2006/

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
Svend Robinson ? The NDP is a friggin joke on crime. They embrace a thief.

Svend Robinson is a thief, stealing thousands of dollars in value.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
everybody that complains about svend need to really consider what they are saying!

does a person ever get a second chance in this country?

is this more "once branded..." mentality?

Citizen

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
Re: RE: Crime Policy of NDP

the caracal kid said:
everybody that complains about svend need to really consider what they are saying!

Svend should never have been allowed back into the political arena. He can have his second chance working at Starbucks or some other joint that might hire him.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

the caracal kid said:

is this more "once branded..." mentality?

I have seen you brand the Conservatives.....and mostly with partisan speculation....

you are talking about a second chance!!!......do some research on the backround of this swine and come back.....you'll need it to defend him.

With Mr Svend Robinson of the NDP.... its is not speculation, he has been caught.... and it was not that long ago was it!

paulmartin

Jan 2, 2006
canada
www.lyingliberals.ca
I would prefer my M.P. not commit a crime while in office. It clears the way for other government officials to be exonerated for the same thing. These are the people who should be above scrutiny or is that no longer important in Canada?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
take a look at the histories of the MPs from the last parlement. I forget where i saw the lists of offences, but lets just say Svend does not stand out amungst that crowd.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net

Calberty said:
Svend Robinson ? The NDP is a friggin joke on crime. They embrace a thief.

Svend Robinson is a thief, stealing thousands of dollars in value.

I don't like Svend, but he went to court did pentance. I wouldn't vote for him, but everyone deserves a second chance. If the people who voted for him to become a canidate thought he would represent them well it's not our spot to say he can't run for them.

Secondly his crime was a mental issue and none violent. You are treating him like a murder. How about tonning down your accusation. You actually making him look a lot better in my eye's when you try to demonize him. I'd vote for him just to spight you, but if you didn't say such silly things I'm most likely ignore him if I was in his riding and vote for someone else who doesn't have mental issues.

EDIT
Calberty, also you may consider to drop this whole thing you have with Svend. Really few even care about him. I highly doubt he will get elected nor will it effect other MP's from getting elected.

Are you sure the issue you have with him isn't that he stole a ring (which is messed up and he has paid for his crime completely) and not the fact he was the first out of the closet gay MP. I kind of question why your crusade against him is so ... well nut ball