Canadian Political Parties (We need your help!)

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Hey everybody. As you may have noticed, certain words and phrases are now being highlighted across the forums to help spread people throughout the site, and to provide additional information to people who aren't as aware as others.

The idea that I am currently implementing is to turn the forum into a sort of encyclopedia. The information I am gathering it to be compiled into a database (which is already a little populate, but not live) will be available for everybody to use and contribute to, as well as provide a way for more people to explore this site.

The first phase is already underway, and phase 1b will be ongoing simultaniously and hopefully quickly with the help of forum members with the interest. What I am asking in this thread is for anybody who has interest to write an article or two to send it along so I can add it to the encyclopedia.

I need biographies on Canadian political parties. They should include the following:

Overview of the party
Main goals of the party
Some of the party's main accomplishments
Notable leaders of the parties
(nice colour combo, eh?)

So let's start off with:

Liberals
Conservatives
Bloc Québécois
NDP
Green Party

Any member can request to add a paragraph, reword a paragraph or make adjustments to the article after being reviewed by myself.

If anyone wants to start off, please feel free to private message me directly. I will start compiling the info and graphics into a database.

All the best!

cyberclark

Electoral Member
Liberals
Pierre Trudea a man ahead of his time. Living in Alberta I so hated him! On the plus side when world recession pinched Canada Mr. Trudeau brought in higher UIC rates and increased the workforce in the Canadian postal service dramatcially. All this in his vew was to create prosparity by making the money move upwards through society. Kudos to him!

While this same world recession was going on, Argentina built one of the worlds greatest armies. one in five had a gun and 1 of them had a bullet. Still, it served the same purpose as Mr. Trudeaus post office.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Canadian Political Parties (We need your help!)

cyberclark said:
Liberals
Pierre Trudea a man ahead of his time. Living in Alberta I so hated him! On the plus side when world recession pinched Canada Mr. Trudeau brought in higher UIC rates and increased the workforce in the Canadian postal service dramatcially. All this in his vew was to create prosparity by making the money move upwards through society. Kudos to him!

While this same world recession was going on, Argentina built one of the worlds greatest armies. one in five had a gun and 1 of them had a bullet. Still, it served the same purpose as Mr. Trudeaus post office.

Right!

Pierre Trudeau slapped martial law on Canada because of two kidnappings.

Pierre Trudeau shattered one of the best respected militaries in the world.

Pierre Trudeau took a nation without debt, and running surpluses, and pushed it down the slippery slope towards $500 billion in the hole.

Pierre Trudeau called back-benchers "nobodys" and proceded to concentrate power in the PM's office.

Pierre Trudeau single-handedly created western alienation with the NEP.

Pierre Trudeau enhanced the practice of ruling by Order-in-Council(intended for emergencies only), thus began the government practise of bypassing Parliament.

Pierre Trudeau loved the idea of "multiculturalism", which is, of course, cultural suicide.

Pierre Trudeau was a tremendous liar, running against the PCs on a platform of "no wage and price controls", and installing them once in power.

Pierre Trudeau was an egotist, he saw himself as the "philosopher-king" with no need or desire to commune with the peasants or consider their wishes, he was a disaster.

I swore, and I still intend, to make a pilgrimage to Ottawa to piss on his statue.

bumbo

Jan 5, 2006
Sarnia, ON
The NDP Party was established originally in the 1930's under the name CCF (Co-Operative Commonwealth Federation) based primarily in western Canada, fought to end workers' poverty while promoting the rights of women and immigrant minorities.

This did not last due to the simple fact that most Canadians felt that this party was leaning too far to the left. Enter the NDP in the 1960's led by Tommy Douglas, possibly the most influential politician ever. Tommy Douglas once made a speach which has become influential in my life as well as many others.
http://www.saskndp.com/history/mouseland.html

Jack Layton is our current leader, and as far as I am concerned the best choice for the next Prime Minister of Canada, so join with me on January 23 and vote for the party that will help us all out. We all saw what happened the last time the Conservatives were in power, and the fact is that the Liberal government is starting to lean far too far to the right. Why not help the working class and vote in the NDP Party?

At any rate, I'll post some more when I get back from work.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Thanks for the additions. I will be adding some of these paragraphs to the articles. But I would really rather there wasn't a personal or political slant on the articles such as "Pierre Trudeau was a tremendous liar, running against the PCs on a platform of "no wage and price controls", and installing them once in power. " or "Living in Alberta I so hated him!"

Thanks for the additions.. Looking forward to getting more :)

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Liberal Party of Canada

One of only three parties to have ever governed Canada, the twentieth century had the Liberal Party of Canada govern more than any other. Having moderate economic strategies, in combination with a progressive social agenda, the Liberal Party has come to be known as being predominantly centrist.

This party was once considered to be the most united party in Canada; however, that has been thrown into question in more recent times with in-party fighting becoming more common, and members being ejected from and leaving the Liberal caucous for various reasons.

:arrow: Founding and Confederation

Advocates of responsible government in the mid-nineteenth century, they were once known as the Reformers. Among others noted for their roles in founding a basis for the party are William Mackenzie King and his Clear Grits, and Louis-Joseph Papineau and the Patriotes.

Upon Confederation, the Liberals' radical ideas and suggestions forced them into the Opposition benches of the House of Commons for thirty years, acting as Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition to the Conservative Government, with the exception of having won two elections in 1873 and 1874 after defeating the Conservatives on a motion of confidence, but were returned to the Opposition in 1878.

:arrow: Early History of the Party

Due to the Conservative Party's early oppression of French-Canadians outside of the Province of Québec, and the execution of Louis Riel, citizens of Québec have a long history of supporting the Liberal Party. However, the party was not considered "mainstream" until the Right Honourable Wilfred Laurier became the party's leader, at which point it became a viable alternative to the Conservatives.

During the debate on conscription, many English-speaking members of the Liberal Party left in favour of the Right Honourable Robert Borden's Unionist Government; for a time, the Grits were limited to a large "clump" of seats in Québec, and a spattering of support throughout the rest of Canada. While the party was decimated in the polls, the Liberal Party would benefit from the crisis in the long-term; the Conservative Party would become more-or-less unelectable in Québec for decades afterward.

:arrow: Independence and Sovereignty

The Liberal Party has had a long-standing reputation of anti-imperialism, and the promotion of Canada's sovereignty. The Liberal Party often argued that Britain should recognize its dominions as being equal, rather than subordinate, and that the Governor General should be appointed by the Prime Minister, rather than by the Government of the United Kingdom. Ironically, however, the Liberal Government of Canada was defeated a year before the Statute of Westminster, the culmination of the Liberal's negotiations, would be passed.

:arrow: Social Programs and Welfare

The Liberal Party is credited with, or sometimes accused of, having a very progressive policy on social issues. Liberal Prime Ministers have enacted various social progams, many of which remain in effect today. For example, the basis of the Child Tax Credit (originally known as a "mother's allowance"), the Canada Pension Plan, universal health care, Canada Student Loans, as well as a plan to provide funds for the welfare programs of the Provinces.

:arrow: Prime Minister Trudeau

Some of the most famous feats of the Liberal Party took place during the time that the Right Honourable Pierre Trudeau served as Prime Minister of Canada. The Liberals, under Mr. Trudeau's leadership, passed the Official Languages Act to give French and English equal status in Canada. While the Act did not serve the intended purpose (to stay the sovereigntist movement in Québec), it was able to prevent the decrease in the use of French in Canada, and Government-owned stations now broadcast in both languages.

The Liberal Party also brought in the concept of becoming officially multicultural; this brought about a strong base of support with new immigrants. Also, the Liberal Party was responsible for the repatriation of the Constitution, and one of the most profound enactments in the history of Canada — the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

:arrow: Recent Times

In more recent times, the Liberal Party has greatly fallen in support. Questionable appointment practices, ignoring majority votes in the House of Commons, controversial legislation, and the Sponsorship Scandal culminated in the defeat of the Government on an express vote of non-confidence — an event that has never before occurred in the history of Canada — on November 28th 2006.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

cyberclark said:
HA! I do so love enthusiam!
He also made 6 trips to the USSR and none to the US which was a first for any diplomat of his time.

I think that says it all.

McDonald

Nominee Member
Jan 23, 2006
Chicoutimi, Québec
www.myspace.com

Pierre Trudeau loved the idea of "multiculturalism", which is, of course, cultural suicide.

Oh is it "of course?" And which course is that, the local WASP-only country club's golf course?

I would love for you to explain how multiculturalism is cultural suicide... and furthermore, what is cultural suicide? Lastly, what the hell is so sacred about Anglo culture that it should be kept impregnable by the Francophone or Allophone cultures that are just as important to the future of Canada as Anglo culture itself?

I enjoy multiculturalism. I wear it as a mark of pride that Canada is a country where people can be who and what they are, and live in happiness and prosperity.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
People can be who they are in any free country. As long as they obey the laws.

I would say the French fact in Canada for the last 400 years makes them a part of Canadian culture. But the idea that every immigrant from every corner of the world should come here and make their community a little island of whatever within the Canadian mosaic, and do so with government aid and assistance is simply lunacy.

We have already paid for this. We have Tamil and other Asian, Latino and Jamaican gangs operating just as they did in the old country. Worse still, we have transplanted foreign terror groups, such as the LTTE (Tamil Tigers) which now consider Canada their cash cow. Why? Because there are over 100,000 in the Tamil community in Toronto, so the Liberals refused to ban the LTTE as it might cost them a seat or two.

We had 329 people murdered in the Air India mess because of transplanted Sikh terrorists.

We have organized attempts by ethnic groups to take over riding associations and seats in the House. This happened to Chuck Cadman's riding. He lost the Conservative nomination, and initially dropped out of the race.

We have the lunacy of the Ontario gov't considering the legitimizing of Sharia law. Thankfully rejected.

We have a huge segment of our population that understands nothing about the foundations and history of our freedoms and our form of government.

And we still have this huge on-going debate on "what it is to be Canadian". Not much wonder we can't figure it out.

We need to assimilate newcomers into our society, to create in them a desire to be a part of something new, something bigger, something better than what they brought from the old country. If the old country was so wonderful, why are they here?

I'm tired of people who want to be Tamil in Canada, or Sikh in Canada, or Jamaican in Canada, or whatever.

If you want to live in Canada, be CANADIAN. Full Stop.

That does not mean you have to shed your religion, or language. It means you have to learn about the place, learn one of its two languages, adopt an attitude of respect towards its history, its political system, and its freedom. It means you go out into the larger community. Above all, it means you drop your allegiances outside Canada, you drop what is unCanadian, you become one of all Canadians.

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
We have the lunacy of the Ontario gov't considering the legitimizing of Sharia law. Thankfully rejected.

Canada is a great nation where you can be who you want to be and follow whatever or whoever you want to follow.

And come-on Colpy.

We were one of the first to enact same-sex marriage legislation why not be the first in the Western World to enact Sharia law.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

McDonald said:

Oh is it "of course?" And which course is that, the local WASP-only country club's golf course?

I would love for you to explain how multiculturalism is cultural suicide... and furthermore, what is cultural suicide? Lastly, what the hell is so sacred about Anglo culture that it should be kept impregnable by the Francophone or Allophone cultures that are just as important to the future of Canada as Anglo culture itself?

I enjoy multiculturalism. I wear it as a mark of pride that Canada is a country where people can be who and what they are, and live in happiness and prosperity.

Actually the onus isn't on us to provide you with why it is cultural suicide...it is on you to explain why it isn't.