The Green Party

SHKVAL

Dec 27, 2005
Toronto
Guys, why or why wouldn't you guys vote for the green party? I just went to the greenparty website (www.greenparty.ca) and I was quite impressed by the party's platform and policies. And they won a record 4% of the vote last year.

Given the mess that the Liberals have made of the government, Harper's pro-American, pro-Iraq war, anti-Kyoto sentiments and Jack Layton's mustache :D, the green party looks like a really good alternative to me. Its not going to win, but they sound like a decent party to me. Why shouldn't we vote for them? I think I might after all.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
1. Because the Green party even though it has a general support base, it does not carry support in any one riding to have a mp elected by Pure FPTP. I will however think about voting Green if the electoral system gets changed

2. The NDP has Green policies already and does stand a better chance then the greens to elect MP's

3. I'm not a Harris fan. He just seems way too corperate for a Green

4.Mr Harris split the green party since the last election and has been called Dragonian by many members and former members

Well that sums up why I wouldn't vote green this election. Well the only way I would is if the NDPer droped out in my riding and then the Conservative, I would then vote green.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The NDP has a stronger environmental program and more of a chance of getting things done, SHKVAL. Not only is their environmental platform stronger, but they are also pushing form electoral reform that would give Greens a place in Parliament. Just voting Green right now will not accomplish that.

The biggest reason to stay away from the Greens right now is Jim Harris though. He's done some very undemocratic things within the party

Harris is also very willing to coddle and protect corporate polluters. Not a big surprise since so many of them are customers in his consulting business, but quite troubling given the conflict of interest questions it raises.

SHKVAL

Dec 27, 2005
Toronto
I have to admit that I have very little knowledge of Canadian politics. I'm one of those little heard from university student voters who is beginning to show some interest in world matters, so forgive my ignorance.

So the head honcho of the Green Party is in bed with the corporations. I wonder how that works, since corporations are probably the most anti-green entities in the land.

Can someone please give me a general idea of Mr. Layton's stand on societal/poverty/human rights, American ego trips in Iraq and Afghanistan and elsewhere, corporations/corporate power, NAFTA,tax cuts, environmental issues and anything else you'd consider relevant?

What does he plan to do to reduce the Canadian dependence on the American economy given the increased debt and long-term economic instability that can be expected South of the border? And since there is no way to avoid it, how does he plan to bring Chinese businesses in Canada without compromising Canadian stands on humans rights and democracy with Beijing? What steps does he plan to take to leverage economic steps with India and Brazil? What does he think of the leftist shift in Latin America, specifically, Hugo Chavez in Venenzuela? What of the weak Canadian military and possible violations of Canadian sovereignty by the Americans?

Those would be some good issues to start with....

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
You'd be best off talking to your local candidate about those things, SHKVAL. Just drop by the office, and ask questions. You can also check out the NDP website. I can give you some idea though.

The NDP endorses fair trade initiatives. That includes expanding trade and putting workers and human rights as well as environmental clauses into trade agreements as much as possible. It also includes getting out of or renegotiating NAFTA.

Layton has centred mostly on using your tax money to do things for you, but he has offered tax cuts like increasing the federal child tax credit by $250 each year for four years; increasing the basic personal credit by $500; decreasing the lowest personal income rate to 15 per cent. He also favours targeted tax cuts for corporations that produce jobs etc., but not the Liberal/Conservative plan of giving massive cuts with no strings attached.

I'm not sure that the NDP has taken an official position on Chavez, but there is general, albeit cautious, support expressed for him by most of the NDP party members I talk to.

SHKVAL

Dec 27, 2005
Toronto
Very interesting, I like Layton's stand on economic issues, especially fair trade instead of free trade and restricted tax incentives to corporations. Emphasis on human rights and environmental issues are really nice too. The Greens are looking less attractive....

By the way, thanks for answering my questions...