Is this the Liberals idea of how child care will be run?

Breakthrough2006

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2005
Compassionate care program under fire

By ANDRÉ PICARD
Thursday, December 15, 2005 Page A12

PUBLIC HEALTH REPORTER

The program designed to provide financial relief to Canadians caring for a terminally ill loved one, launched with much fanfare two years ago by the federal government, is a dismal, money-gobbling failure, according to a new report.

The Health Council of Canada says the Compassionate Care Benefit is a bureaucratic boondoggle that provides little practical help in times of need, and does so in a heartless and sometimes offensive manner.

"Somewhere between the good idea and the implementation, this program seems to have crashed up on the rocks," Michael Decter, chairman of the national health watchdog agency, said in an interview. "It's hard to be anything but appalled."

The 50-page report, being released today, says the program -- which is supposed to provide six weeks of employment-insurance benefits to family caregivers -- is "important and necessary" but impractically designed and poorly administered.

Mr. Decter saved his sharpest criticism for the way money is spent: Over a two-year period, $69-million was spent on administration while only $11-million was distributed in benefits to those in need.

Jan Clark of Kemptville, Ont., whose husband Stephen has terminal lung cancer, said she was thrilled to learn there was a compassionate care program, but was left devastated and disillusioned by the reality, which she described as a "load of red tape and bureaucratic nonsense devoid of compassion."

As an entrepreneur running a home-cleaning business, Ms. Clark was ineligible for benefits. She thought of taking a salaried position but realized the program would allow her a maximum of six weeks of EI benefits, a nonsensical limit.

"Are you telling me that I have to turn to my terminally ill husband and ask: 'Dear, which six weeks of the rest of your life do you want me to sit with you?' "

The Health Council report says the failings of the compassionate care benefit program are wide-ranging, including:

The nature of the benefit: Because it is an EI benefit, large numbers of Canadians are ineligible, including the unemployed, self-employed and part-time, temporary and seasonal workers; the maximum benefit was pegged at $413 weekly.

Length of benefit: The six-week paid benefit period, which must be taken within a 26-week window, does not recognize the unpredictability of the dying process.

Sharing of the benefit: Families are limited to a total of eight weeks of compassionate care, and it is difficult to split or share the benefit.

Definition of family: Benefits can only be claimed by close family members, and excludes siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles, and friends (the government, however, has already promised to change that aspect of the law).

Paperwork: The claims process is onerous and requires, among other things, a medical certificate attesting that the person being cared for will likely die within 26 weeks.

Discriminates against women: The program fails to make provisions for the fact that the vast majority of caregivers are women and that for a number of reasons -- childbearing, child-rearing, part-time work, self-employment, sole-income household -- they are least likely to meet the eligibility criteria for the program.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...C/20051215/COMPASSION15/TPNational/?query=EI+

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
While I do agree that administrative costs could make a childcare program "expensive," the Conservative-proposed alternative really isn't an alternative at all. While I am a Canadian, I do not have faith in ourselves to make the right choices with the money that the Conservative Party would have shunted to homes across the country; in this case, I really do think that "daddy knows best." At least with the Liberal proposal, the money would have to be spent on children; there's no guarantee that the Conservatives' grants would be anything more than a general-purpose supplement to the Child Tax Credit.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Sorry to correct you, but the money won't have to be spent directly on child care. My understanding is that Manitoba has already decided to spend the money on training and establishment of standards. I could be wrong, and will stand to be corrected.

The fact is that even if Martin's plan creates the 250,000 spaces he claims (and do I ever doubt that), that is only a small fraction (less than 25%) of what is needed for children under six.

In addition, the Quebec experience has shown subsidized daycare spaces are disporportionally snapped up by well-to-do professionals.

Why?

They have drag, and know how to work the system.

Parents with "careers" as opposed to "jobs" are less likely to have one parent stay home as a care-giver.

Day cares are open to serve 8 to 5 workers. The working poor work at call centres, retail outlets, restaurants, bars, and other service industries, NOT 8 to 5.

Martin's plan will turn out to be an inefficient welfare program for the well-to-do, and will be absolutely useless for those that need it most.

Harper's plan, while far from perfect, at least puts some resources in the hands of those that need it most.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
With all due respect (and thank you, by the way, for correcting me; I had overlooked the fact that the money Martin plans to grant are basically going to be given to the provinces, then saying "have fun with it," lol), I really don't think that one hundred dollars is enough to realistically supply for the cost day care, or even to reasonably supplement the cost, with day care prices where they are today.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Is this the Liberals idea of how child care will be

FiveParadox said:
With all due respect (and thank you, by the way, for correcting me; I had overlooked the fact that the money Martin plans to grant are basically going to be given to the provinces, then saying "have fun with it," lol), I really don't think that one hundred dollars is enough to realistically supply for the cost day care, or even to reasonably supplement the cost, with day care prices where they are today.

I agree.

I would much rather see the benefit doubled or tripled, and aimed at the most needy, instead of being a universal program.

But, its election time, so everybody must get bought....I mean paid. :)

At least with Harper, the pittance goes to the right people, as well as the well-to-do.

Breakthrough2006

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2005
While I do agree that administrative costs could make a childcare program "expensive," the Conservative-proposed alternative really isn't an alternative at all. While I am a Canadian, I do not have faith in ourselves to make the right choices with the money that the Conservative Party would have shunted to homes across the country; in this case, I really do think that "daddy knows best." At least with the Liberal proposal, the money would have to be spent on children; there's no guarantee that the Conservatives' grants would be anything more than a general-purpose supplement to the Child Tax Credit.

Two things.

One. As pointed out, there is no guarantee that the money will be spent on kids with the Liberal plan either. The provinces will decide where that money goes. Not to mention the fact that we will be on the hook for additional fixed costs such as employee wages, employee benefits, rent of the facility, costs of purchasing and maintaining equipment, training, costs of supervision etc.

Two. The Liberals have been promising this exact same child care program for 12 years and over four seperate elections. Why would they go ahead with this promise this time around as oppossed to the other four times they promised it?

The choice is either the Conservative plan or no plan at all.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Is this the Liberals idea of how child care will be

FiveParadox said:

8O I can't believe you think a federal government can make better decisions about your life than you. This is the same government that has wasted untold billions of dollars.... HRDC, Gun registry, sponsership scandal.... it goes on and on and on. The government is completely incompetent and corrupt. For every extra dollar they take out of your own pocket in taxes, how much will come back to you in daycare services after the bureaucracy is through, and the Libranos have skimmed off their share?