tactics of the NRA

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
peapod said:
Well it seems coldpy lust and love of the NRA, got me wondering, what sort of tactics do these people use to push their agenda. I mean, I am sure its honest and above board...I think I will do a lil surfing on this topic..

http://www.mmmdenver.org/COMMM_Aug_4_Conoco.htm

And what, exactly, is underhanded in this effort?

The NRA believes in and supports the American Bill of Rights, which reads in part "...............the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
To defend that ideal in Congress is hardly underhanded, whether or not you agree with them.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Come on, Colpy. You know as well as anybody that the NRA takes some extremely reprehensible positions while hiding behind the second amendment in the US and trying to convince people here that they have the same "rights" under the US Constitution as Americans do.

You also know that they are a huge political machine with connections to the religious right and deep hooks into the Republican Party. They are trying to get the same kind of foothold here.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: tactics of the NRA

Reverend Blair said:
Come on, Colpy. You know as well as anybody that the NRA takes some extremely reprehensible positions while hiding behind the second amendment in the US and trying to convince people here that they have the same "rights" under the US Constitution as Americans do.

You also know that they are a huge political machine with connections to the religious right and deep hooks into the Republican Party. They are trying to get the same kind of foothold here.

What "extremely reprehensible positions". The fact you don't agree with them doesn't make them "extremely reprehensible". That is the very definition of self-righteous.

So, you concede that the Americans have an individual right to keep and bear arms?

We don't need the US Bill of Rights. I know what my rights are, and they sure as hell don't exist at the pleasure of any government.

Yes, the NRA has some ties currently to the Republican Party. It also used to have ties to the Democrats, but the forgot about the Second Amendment, which the NRA exists to defend. Big deal.

Our own Canadians for Gun Control is funded indirectly by the Federal government. In other words, our government pays a lobby group to lobby them to do what they want to do anyway. Now that is worrying.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Oh well, la de da, coldpy pardon me for wondering :roll: I wonder because at NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre told members at a convention in reno. Quote

"He described people and groups that work on gun-violence prevention, for instance, as "a shadowy network of extremist social guerillas" who "form a sort of Taliban, an intolerant coalition of fanatics that shelter the anti-freedom alliance so it can thrive and grow." "

Kinda makes you wonder how the nutbars belong to the NRA would read this...you know the neo-nazi and christian warriors :roll:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
peapod said:
Oh well, la de da, coldpy pardon me for wondering :roll: I wonder because at NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre told members at a convention in reno. Quote

"He described people and groups that work on gun-violence prevention, for instance, as "a shadowy network of extremist social guerillas" who "form a sort of Taliban, an intolerant coalition of fanatics that shelter the anti-freedom alliance so it can thrive and grow." "

Kinda makes you wonder how the nutbars belong to the NRA would read this...you know the neo-nazi and christian warriors :roll:

Ahh, what people that work on "gun violence prevention"? The NRA works on "gun violence prevention".

I assume he means people whose idea of "gun violence prevention" is kicking down the front door of every honest gun owner and stealing their private property while denying them their constitutional rights.

In which case, I agree with Mr.LaPierre.

Who gives a damn what racist nutbars think. I don't. Why do you?

You don't, except where you can use their name in a post about the NRA in an attempt to demonize the NRA.

Mind you, without any thread of connection between the two.

And you call me a liar.

Ask Condi about gun control and racism.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Bullshit! Are you telling us their are no nutbars in the NRA :roll: excuse me :roll: who was timothy mcvie, are you telling me their are no nutbars in the NRA? Why have such a list? Nutbars go to that site, are they trying to promote something? Oh I see, this must just a joke then eh?

That ugly cackler. She pulls her husband around like a pulltoy on a string. My friends and I say that if that ever happened to one of us and our wife did that, somebody would slip into the house one night and slit her throat. --Leroy Pyle, NRA board member, discussing Sarah Brady of Handgun Control, quoted in Davidson, Under Fire: The NRA and the Battle for Gun Control (Henry Holt & Company 1993)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
peapod said:
Bullshit! Are you telling us their are no nutbars in the NRA :roll: excuse me :roll: who was timothy mcvie, are you telling me their are no nutbars in the NRA? Why have such a list? Nutbars go to that site, are they trying to promote something? Oh I see, this must just a joke then eh?

That ugly cackler. She pulls her husband around like a pulltoy on a string. My friends and I say that if that ever happened to one of us and our wife did that, somebody would slip into the house one night and slit her throat. --Leroy Pyle, NRA board member, discussing Sarah Brady of Handgun Control, quoted in Davidson, Under Fire: The NRA and the Battle for Gun Control (Henry Holt & Company 1993)

OF COURSE there are nutbars in the NRA. There are nutbars in the CPC, in the NDP, in any broadly based political or social movement. They do not represent the character of the organization itself.

No joke. Are you insinuating that the NRA is encouraging people to do physical harm to folks on the list? That's paranoid even for you.

Sarah Brady is as self-righteous as they come, and is not one bit above using her husband as a prop to make a point. However, Mr. Pyle's comments are somewhat offensive, you are correct there.

Thank God nobody follows us around and quotes everything we say in a moment of anger.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Oh well..excuse me...but wanting to cut somebody throat, uh huh...just angry. Yes that's exactly what I am saying, your so quick. Oh well you can rationalize anything it appears. Lets move on...justify this one.

"NRA board member is Robert K. Brown, co-founder of Paladin Press, which publishes murder manuals and bomb cookbooks with names like Kill Without Joy, Improvised Explosives: How to Make Your Own and Expedient Hand Grenades. According to Erik Larson, Lethal Passage, "Investigators often find books from Paladin and its competitors in the possession of bombing suspects. 'Hundreds of times,' an ATF bomb expert told me." Brown left Paladin to found Soldier of Fortune Magazine, which became notorious for the murder-for-hire ads which resulted in actual murders until the magazine got sued too many times and stopped running them"

I see, and you want this crowd coming into our country, I got a better idea, why don't you move to the US and join them.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
The NRA are a bunch of heartless Nutjobs. They would not even cancel their convention in Denver after the Columbine massacre. They had Heston up on stage waving a rifle like he was the second coming. Really bizarre behaviour. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
peapod said:
Well the man was sick, he had alzheimer's disease. It was sad the way he was munipulated and exploited.

If you mean by Michael Moore in Bowling for Columbine, you are correct.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Are you gonna tell me something I don't already know. Of course he exploited and munipuated a sick man, Moore I mean...funny innit tho, I can see that, you on the other hand only see what you want to see. Both moore and NRA used and exploited Heston.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
"NRA board member is Robert K. Brown, co-founder of Paladin Press, which publishes murder manuals and bomb cookbooks with names like Kill Without Joy, Improvised Explosives: How to Make Your Own and Expedient Hand Grenades. According to Erik Larson, Lethal Passage, "Investigators often find books from Paladin and its competitors in the possession of bombing suspects. 'Hundreds of times,' an ATF bomb expert told me." Brown left Paladin to found Soldier of Fortune Magazine, which became notorious for the murder-for-hire ads which resulted in actual murders until the magazine got sued too many times and stopped running them"

Yes, Robert K. Brown published books at Paladin Press. I think calling them "murder manuals" is carrying it a little far.

"Hundreds of times" an ATF bomb expert told me.

Ah, excuse me? There have been "hundreds" of bombers in the USA? I must have missed something, or this is BS.

As for Soldier of Fortune, you've never seen a copy, have you?

I would never buy it, back in the day, because I didn't like it's political viewpoint. A lot too right wing for me, and I saw no reason to support its radicalism. However, a friend did buy it, and I used to read his copies. Often very interesting, with intelligent comment on situations throughout the world visited by Mr. Brown, including Oka during the crisis there.

The "murder for hire" thing is a smear, as this happened once, the advertiser hardly advertised himself straight up as a murderer for hire, and I don't think Brown could be expected to investigate every ad in his magazine. He wouldn't be in business long.

I have some doubts about Brown, but his views on free speech are valid, he is not criminal, and he is a bright guy.

Would you just like to gag those who disagree with you?

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Re: RE: tactics of the NRA

Colpy said:
What "extremely reprehensible positions". The fact you don't agree with them doesn't make them "extremely reprehensible". That is the very definition of self-righteous.

So, you concede that the Americans have an individual right to keep and bear arms?

We don't need the US Bill of Rights. I know what my rights are, and they sure as hell don't exist at the pleasure of any government.

Yes, the NRA has some ties currently to the Republican Party. It also used to have ties to the Democrats, but the forgot about the Second Amendment, which the NRA exists to defend. Big deal.

Our own Canadians for Gun Control is funded indirectly by the Federal government. In other words, our government pays a lobby group to lobby them to do what they want to do anyway. Now that is worrying.

Im not suprised that the same person advocating civil war over the democratic process of seperation supports gun posession. If you love violence so much, head down south.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
"So, you concede that the Americans have an individual right to keep and bear arms? "

Every person on the planet has the fundamental human right of self-defence.

It its not a gun, it's a stick or a rock. Anytime government attempts to restrict the ability of individuals to defend themselves, crime and suffering against the individual results.

Trying to taking away from people their right and ability to defend themselves is a Violation of this basic and fundamental Human Right.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
What "extremely reprehensible positions".

Plastic guns...you know the kind that don't set off airport metal detectors...were championd by the NRA. Dickless Cheney voted for them too. An end to the assault rifle ban...the NRA pushed hard for that. Fighting to keep cheap handguns (often referred to as Saturday Night Specials) easily available even though their main reason for being is use in street crime. Holding a rally in Columbine after the massacre there. They did the same in at least one other place too. Backing the US militia movement and the survivalists...those are basically terrorist groups. Coming to Canada and giving speeches about how gun nuts here have the same right to bear arms as in the US...in other words LYING to people.

Yeah, we know about the NRA Colpy.

By the way, there is nothing in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights guaranteeing you the right own arms either.