Harper's negative image hurts positive message

hiti

Dec 2, 2005
Harper's negative image hurts positive message
By BRIAN LAGHI
http://tinyurl.com/7nw78
OTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF

Friday, December 2, 2005, Page A4

Canadian voters like Stephen Harper's message. They're just not so sure they like him.

A new survey conducted for The Globe and Mail and CTV shows that the Conservatives appear to have hit a nerve with voters by pushing the need for a new broom to clean out the Liberals. However, those same voters are leery about Mr. Harper leading the party that would act as that broom.

This is news? I've finally given up on Mr. Harper. To date, I've always wanted to like the guy and I've given him a large benefit of the doubt. Until a few days ago, that is. Until when he launched his Quebec campaign. He crossed the Ottawa river to Gatineau, where he got up on stage, surrounded by 7-8 Quebec candidates (most of which had travelled for hours to be there). He announced something or other (probably that he was proud of his candidates or some such, but I don't recall). Then he said that an assistant would give a list of candidate names, he turned around and walked out a side door. You could see the jaws drop when the candidates were left stranded on stage without having been presented. Josee Verner, who had come with five points (she got 31% of the vote, three times the average in Quebec!) of winning in her Quebec City riding, tried to recover by talking directly to the journalists present but the damage was done.

Conclusion: the message was loud and clear. Mr. Harper thinks about "things" but not about "people", INCLUDING THOSE WHO MAY BECOME MEMBERS OF HIS CAUCUS. And that is a serious character flaw in a man who aspires to become PM. I wish him well and sincerely hope that the Tories do well in the upcoming election. But he's squandered my reserve of human sympathy.

Along the same line, there's grumbling in the Tory who's-who in Quebec. Basically, they get a sense that Mr. Harper not only doesn't care about them but also that he doesn't like them, period. In particular, one of his principal Quebec leadership-campaign organizers in Quebec has alluded to (while still remaining a Tory) not voting CPC this time. When all's said and done, Tories here tend to think "aahhh, shaddap!" when they're told that winning over Quebec is a priority. If it is one, it's a long-term one.

And no, all this has nothing to do with Mr. Harper having a hidden agenda ... he's just a dink, that's all.

capebretoner

Dec 6, 2005
Halifax
www.hosernews.ca
RE: Harper's negative ima

hiti i must say that I agree with you 100%

However I lost all confidence in the man when a reporter asked, "Mr Harper do you love Canada"

And his response was, "Well, I said Canada is a great country....." Not yes...

Sure you could say that it is a given, but if it was a given you think that he would of said it without thinking, and THEN have to think about the long speach about potential and how evil the Liberals are. NOT the other way around.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

A lot of Conservative problems is Harpers "bad image" (and other members). I think he will be replaced as leader after this election, by who I dunno, but they need someone who is more moderate and more humanized to replace him, but no one in that party comes to mind, Harris, Klein, McKay would not be good choices.

Th Conservatives really screwed up by not electing Stronach as leader. But I guess the old caveman did not want a female leader. The way they insulted her shows what they are really made of. This is not the same conservative party that was around in Kim Campbells time. All the small "C" conservatives are basically gone and it is a party made up of mostly reformers and that is the problem.

I can see Stronach becoming PM within a few years.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Harper's negative ima

capebretoner said:
hiti i must say that I agree with you 100%

However I lost all confidence in the man when a reporter asked, "Mr Harper do you love Canada"

And his response was, "Well, I said Canada is a great country....." Not yes...

Sure you could say that it is a given, but if it was a given you think that he would of said it without thinking, and THEN have to think about the long speach about potential and how evil the Liberals are. NOT the other way around.

Why should Harper play that American "wrap myself in the Flag" game?

I love a lot of Canadian people.

I love the outdoors, the bush in Canada.

I love our freedom.

I am proud of our history.

Do I love Canada? Don't know. I'm not sure what that means.

I think Harper gave an extremely honest answer.

capebretoner

Dec 6, 2005
Halifax
www.hosernews.ca

So you don't think that a PM for our country doesn't necessarily have to "love" it?

I think that they do, loving something means that you will do anything that has to be done to make sure that it survives. Means that you will sacrifice everything if you have to for its well being. Anything less means that you are doing it for the pay cheque and the power.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

no1important said:
A lot of Conservative problems is Harpers "bad image" (and other members). I think he will be replaced as leader after this election, by who I dunno, but they need someone who is more moderate and more humanized to replace him, but no one in that party comes to mind, Harris, Klein, McKay would not be good choices.

Th Conservatives really screwed up by not electing Stronach as leader. But I guess the old caveman did not want a female leader. The way they insulted her shows what they are really made of. This is not the same conservative party that was around in Kim Campbells time. All the small "C" conservatives are basically gone and it is a party made up of mostly reformers and that is the problem.

I can see Stronach becoming PM within a few years.

Belinda Stronach is a complete idiot with no principles and no understanding of the Parliamentary system. Were she Prime Minister, our choices would be clear.

Her little fiasco with having the Ontario Conservatives present their budget in a TV studio completely did her in with me. (and the Ontario PC Party)

May God forgive me, were I an Otario person, I might have voted for McGuinty last time.

And man, would I be regretting it now.

I pray the spoiled little brat gets kicked this time around.

Let Daddy go back to paying her $7 million per annum for nothing.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Well I love Canada, I do not even have to think about it. I always wear a "Canadian flag pin" on my jacket. Canada is the best country on the Planet. I am not "wrapped up like "W" but neverthe less I do love my country. What is not to love? We have more freedoms than anywhere else, sure we are not perfect but who is?

As far as I am concerned people like Harper that have to think about whether they love Canada are traitors and should leave the country for "greener pastures" if they can find them.
:canada:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Belinda Stronach is a complete idiot with no principles and no understanding of the Parliamentary system. Were she Prime Minister, our choices would be clear.

What choices would that be?

I think she knows how things run quite well.

Well you Harperites sure love bashing her, eh? Any other Conservative never been bashed like this for leaving. Maybe Harperites do not like women???? Being the old fashioned dinosaurs that they are.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

no1important said:

What choices would that be?

I think she knows how things run quite well.

Well you Harperites sure love bashing her, eh? Any other Conservative never been bashed like this for leaving. Maybe Harperites do not like women???? Being the old fashioned dinosaurs that they are.

It is not that she is a woman.

It is that she is an idiot.

Did you read my post? It was her actions INSIDE the Ontario PC party that pissed me off. I swore if she won the CPC leadership I would quit voting.

Now if you could bring back Deb Gray.........and Rona Ambrose might be a choice sometime in the future.

Oh yeah.

I don't like opportunistic traitors either.

capebretoner

Dec 6, 2005
Halifax
www.hosernews.ca

I agree, Stronach is not really a good person to compare CPC members with.

However why would the party continue to bash her when they know it makes them look bad to the rest of the country. Did her actions really come as a suprise? Where people in the party really that upset when she left?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

capebretoner said:

However why would the party continue to bash her when they know it makes them look bad to the rest of the country. Did her actions really come as a suprise? Where people in the party really that upset when she left?

Not me.

Glad to see her go to where she belongs......with the rest of the corrupt, unprincipled, opportunistic scum on the gov't side.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

It is no surprise she was an opportunist when she decided to run as Conservative leader or when she joined the Liberals. I guess she figured she had more opportunities with the Liberals.

I always figured she was more suited of being in the Liberal party than Conservative party anyways.

But it will be up to the people of her riding if she gets re elected.

Personally I do not believe she is an idiot, I believe she is quite smart. I would never vote for her though, unless she was running in my riding as an NDP candidate and that will never happen.

capebretoner

Dec 6, 2005
Halifax
www.hosernews.ca

Colpy said:
capebretoner said:

Not me.

Glad to see her go to where she belongs......with the rest of the corrupt, unprincipled, opportunistic scum on the gov't side.

You answered my last question but what about the most important political one:
However why would the party continue to bash her when they know it makes them look bad to the rest of the country?

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005

There's just something about harper that makes him impersonable, and how the hell does someone like that expect to butter up foreign leaders to get the best deal for Canada? He also is to quick to give into American pressure on our policy. If I was asked if I loved Canada? I'd say that I'd lay down my life for this country, and that would be my gut reaction.
I plainly just don't like the conservatives because I see what king ralph does with our vast oil wealth, and we don't need another dick to give the rich another tax cut. Doesn't everyone remember that harper supported the unproven missile defence program? The way I see it, the liberals are a little shady, but they got the job done. I have no doubt that the conservatives would be any better really. They just want to sell our health care down the river, create drug laws that make marijuana a bigger problem, and do the common Conservative thing of lining rich peoples pockets while scrapping neccessary and cost saving social programs. I'd rather have a bunch of corrupt liberals, than a bunch of people that are going to do the opposite of what needs to be done. I'm trying to help create a better oppositiong though, so i'm voting NDP.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Harper is actually a good representative for the CPC. Cold, calculating, out of touch with the majority of Canadians, willing to bow to the religious right, wanting to turn Canada into a mini-me of George Bush's Amerika.

Fortunately, most Canadians see right through him.

The continued bashing of Stronach and Brisson, and the latest CPC drive to attack Svend Robinson in a riding where they are not even a factor, shows the vindictiveness and negativity of the Conservative Party. That streak has always been there, but it's grown so deep that it now completely defines the CPC. Go to a Conservative website where the party faithful gather...you'll never meet a nastier bunch of bastards.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
It's pretty hard to love a beautiful Country like Canada with all the warts all over it because of its corrupt civil service and the perpetual lack of democratic powers to remove them.

So Harpers answer is honest and the way most Canadians feel today.

Most everyone here left some other country because of the kind of political/social corruption we have now in our own public administration and governance practices.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Most everyone here left some other country because of the kind of political/social corruption we have now in our own public administration and governance practices.

Most everyone where? Most of the people on this site were born in Canada. The political and social corruption was evident under the last Conservative government in spades. Canada's first political scandal (and the biggest if adjusted to today's dollars) was the Pacific Scandal, which happened under Sir John A. MacDonald...Canada's first Prime Minister and an avowed Conservative.

So Harpers answer is honest and the way most Canadians feel today.

That would mean that Harper is going to get more than half of the popular vote. Are you willing to put $100 on Harper getting more than 50% of the popular vote, iamcanadian?

It's pretty hard to love a beautiful Country like Canada

At least if you happen to be Stephen Harper.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Reverend Blair said:
Most everyone where? Most of the people on this site were born in Canada.

If so then most of their ancestors left and came here for the general reasons I stated.

Canada is becomming more and more like those countries people left to come here. It needs to be stopped and reveresed.

Canada was the becon of opportunity to those that came here. It's become a place where discrimination and unfairness is running rampant in all government activities as everyone tries to prevert our systems and practices to their personal or group self-interest.

It must stop, and Canada strive to become the place of opportunity, freedom and equallity for all peoples, races and cultures. No one should be more equal than anyone else here, because this is what brought most people here in the first place.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
If so then most of their ancestors left and came here for the general reasons I stated.

Mine came here for the land. From 4 separate countries. None of them are worried about Canada being as corrupt as any of those countries. That includes Ireland, BTW.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
You're just making that up. I doubt you know why your ancestors came here or what their life was like in their country of origin at the time.

Ireland is a good one. I guess they had no political problems there worth leaving over. Maybe trying avoid a malatov or two made them leave.