Conservative Policy

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
First of all I'd like to say that I've never voted Conservative in my life, I've always voted Liberal. However I am somewhat disillusioned with them as of late. I personally don't like Stephen Harper, but I'm interested in the policies he's proposing.

GST Reduction

Mr. Harper suggested that the average Canuck family will save 400$ a year when the full reduction is implemented in 2011. Now, although I'm all for a tax reduction of any kind, a 400$ savings doesn't really excite me and would not really impact me in the long run. I would prefer an income tax reduction.

Same Sex Marriage

Mr. Harper wants to re open the debate and have a free vote. I was not passionately for or against it, however I say let the matter rest. I mean, life has continued to go on just fine since the bill passed.

Daycare Program

Mr. Harper wants to give parents directly 1200$ per child under the age of 6 for childcare. At first I was all for this as my wife an I have decided that when we do have children, she would stay home until they get to Grade 1. Under the Liberal plan, we would get nothing. But then I thought about the accountability issue. How can the Conservatives ensure that this money is being used for childcare? Unfortunately, there are parents that would simply use the money for other items and thing, or even worse, drugs & alcohol.

The plan isn't so much a childcare initiative as it is a baby bonus.

Just my opinion, comments are welcome.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Re: RE: Conservative Policy

Reverend Blair said:
So far Conservative policy announcements have caused them to drop at the polls. Funny how that works.

I personally think some of the Conservative policies are good. In some areas, being conservative is the way to go, but in other being liberal is the way to go.

Harper is the the reason the party will not win, not their policies.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
DasFX said:
First of all I'd like to say that I've never voted Conservative in my life, I've always voted Liberal. However I am somewhat disillusioned with them as of late. I personally don't like Stephen Harper, but I'm interested in the policies he's proposing.

GST Reduction

Mr. Harper suggested that the average Canuck family will save 400$ a year when the full reduction is implemented in 2011. Now, although I'm all for a tax reduction of any kind, a 400$ savings doesn't really excite me and would not really impact me in the long run. I would prefer an income tax reduction.

Hey, any tax cut is welcome and long overdue. Personally, I agree with you - income tax reductions would be better for the economy. But the G.S.T. reduction would be much more transparent and tangible for most people.
DasFX said:
Same Sex Marriage

Mr. Harper wants to re open the debate and have a free vote. I was not passionately for or against it, however I say let the matter rest. I mean, life has continued to go on just fine since the bill passed.

There are a lot of socially conservative members in the party, and they got it put into their official policy that they would revisit this issue. So Harper had no choice but to put it on the table to avoid the 'hidden agenda' label. I don't know how he personally feels about it, and how much he is just playing to 'his base'. I say let it go - this battle is long lost (and my marriage hasn't been affected at all) :wink:
DasFX said:
Daycare Program

Mr. Harper wants to give parents directly 1200$ per child under the age of 6 for childcare. At first I was all for this as my wife an I have decided that when we do have children, she would stay home until they get to Grade 1. Under the Liberal plan, we would get nothing. But then I thought about the accountability issue. How can the Conservatives ensure that this money is being used for childcare? Unfortunately, there are parents that would simply use the money for other items and thing, or even worse, drugs & alcohol.

That thinking is dangerous, DasFX - that people themselves can't be trusted to spend their own money. If you buy into that thinking, maybe we should increase tax levels immensely (like, to NDP levels) and make sure they don't spend it irresponsibly. Governments of all stripes have proven time after time that they are incompetant and wasteful. The more money they can leave in people's hands the better.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
DasFX said:
GST Reduction

I'm fairly certain I heard Harper say "family of 4 with an anual income of $60K" will see a savings of $400?

Same Sex Marriage

I'm not an expert on legislation, i'm not so sure he can do that without majority support from the provinces or the legislature. I hope he leaves it alone though, total bs.

Daycare Program

What would happen to the existing Child Tax benefits doled out monthly if the $1200 plan were iimplemented? Personally, I like my $240 per month, but those making more than I get less. I'd have to see more detail to make a decision on that, however, I have a feeling I would see a reduction in that, or would not qualify for the $1200.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
MMMike said:
But the G.S.T. reduction would be much more transparent and tangible for most people.

That thinking is dangerous, DasFX - that people themselves can't be trusted to spend their own money. If you buy into that thinking, maybe we should increase tax levels immensely (like, to NDP levels) and make sure they don't spend it irresponsibly. Governments of all stripes have proven time after time that they are incompetant and wasteful. The more money they can leave in people's hands the better.

Yes, a GST reduction is much more transparent and easier, but I thought government was supposed to do what is best for the nation, not what necessarily is the easiest thing to do.

As for the idea that people cannot be trusted to spend their own money; I am not saying that at all, although I am sure that there would be cases of where the "Childcare" cash would be used for other items rather than childcare.

I just think they should call it what it is and not disguise it as something else. If you want to call is a tax rebate or a baby bonus; that is fine. But don't call it a daycare program when really the money isn't necessarily for that. If funds are going to be allocated for something, then it should actually go for that.

Breakthrough2006

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2005
I'm fairly certain I heard Harper say "family of 4 with an anual income of $60K" will see a savings of $400?

This would be the initial reduction from 7% to 6%. It will be double once it the GST is reduced to 5%.

What would happen to the existing Child Tax benefits doled out monthly if the $1200 plan were iimplemented? Personally, I like my $240 per month, but those making more than I get less. I'd have to see more detail to make a decision on that, however, I have a feeling I would see a reduction in that, or would not qualify for the $1200.

He made himself very clear on this issue. This $1,200 per child will be in addition to ALL current programs. EVERYONE with a child six and under qualifies for this $1,200 per year. If you have 3 kids, it would be $3,600 per year.

The purpose of this proposal is to give parents the option of where to seek child care, not the government. With Martin, the ONLY way we could benefit is if we send our kids to a subsidized day care centre.

Lost in all this is Harpers commitment to provide an additional 150,000 day care spots within 5 years. It's a two pronged approach, but for convenience, only one prong is mentioned by those that are "scared" of Harper.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Why is the cut off 6 yrs old? What about kids who are 6 and up? So they go to school, get out at say 2pm. That leaves about, say, 4 hrs per day. So why don't you get $480 per month for kids aged 6-13? After 13, they can be home alone when they get out of school.

Who decided to set the limit at 6?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Breakthrough2006 said:
This would be the initial reduction from 7% to 6%. It will be double once it the GST is reduced to 5%.

Ok. 2% reduction.

He made himself very clear on this issue. This $1,200 per child will be in addition to ALL current programs. EVERYONE with a child six and under qualifies for this $1,200 per year. If you have 3 kids, it would be $3,600 per year.

The purpose of this proposal is to give parents the option of where to seek child care, not the government. With Martin, the ONLY way we could benefit is if we send our kids to a subsidized day care centre.
Lost in all this is Harpers commitment to provide an additional 150,000 day care spots within 5 years. It's a two pronged approach, but for convenience, only one prong is mentioned by those that are "scared" of Harper.

The Child tax benefit isn't a "program" per se, that applies to child care.

Daycare for one child is about $800 per month per child without subsidy, for full time care. Subsidized spots are everywhere - home care, daycare, schoolaged programs and so on. Daycares do not take schoolaged children. The need is for schoolaged programs, which are very expensive and without a subsidy, many can not afford them even with the $1200 per year, per child, six and under.

If he is planning to provide an additional 150,000 daycare spots, I presume he will build new centres?? Either way, $1200 is not the answer, do the math.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Cutting taxes is not a good idea. With the cost of everything going up, how can the country save money by cutting taxes? Oh wait, it's only for the rich, and then the government will cut spending. In the long run, health care will suffer and everything will be privatized.
And Harper wants to give provinces more power. Whats the point in having a country when the provinces have all the power? Giving provinces control of the environment, like Newfoundland controlling its fish stock, is not a good idea.

Breakthrough2006

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2005
Why is the cut off 6 yrs old? What about kids who are 6 and up? So they go to school, get out at say 2pm. That leaves about, say, 4 hrs per day. So why don't you get $480 per month for kids aged 6-13? After 13, they can be home alone when they get out of school.

Child care is much more expensive than baby-sitting. Most people would never put a teenager in charge of their new-born but have no problem putting their 8 year old in the hands of a teenager.

Day care for a new born can cost more than $1,000 per month for each child. They need constant supervision. Feedings every 3 hours and diaper changes (which many day cares refuse to do) every 1 - 2 hours. Sterilization of bottles. Not to mention their diets are very specific. You would need a professional to look after your new born, but if your kid is 8 and as long as he doesn't kill himself jumping off the roof, a teenager is more than capable.

The age of six was set because the kids would be in school by then and don't need the full services of a day care center.

Breakthrough2006

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2005
Daycare for one child is about $800 per month per child without subsidy, for full time care. Subsidized spots are everywhere - home care, daycare, schoolaged programs and so on. Daycares do not take schoolaged children. The need is for schoolaged programs, which are very expensive and without a subsidy, many can not afford them even with the $1200 per year, per child, six and under.

If he is planning to provide an additional 150,000 daycare spots, I presume he will build new centres?? Either way, $1200 is not the answer, do the math.

The math is simple. There is NO FREE DAY CARE even in the subsidized day care centres. It's not like under Martin's plan, you can drop off your kids for free. If it costs $800 per month in a regular facility, it will cost you $700 per month in a subsidized facility. The difference with Harpers plan is that YOU have the choice to either spend that money at your local day care or if the extra $1,200 or $2,400 is enough (once you consider all the savings) stay home to look after your own kids.

Ok. 2% reduction.

$800 per year. (after tax)

Cutting taxes is not a good idea. With the cost of everything going up, how can the country save money by cutting taxes? Oh wait, it's only for the rich,

That's exactly right. ONLY THE RICH have kids. Poor people have no kids in Canada. :roll:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Breakthrough2006 said:
[

The math is simple. There is NO FREE DAY CARE even in the subsidized day care centres. It's not like under Martin's plan, you can drop off your kids for free. If it costs $800 per month in a regular facility, it will cost you $700 per month in a subsidized facility. The difference with Harpers plan is that YOU have the choice to either spend that money at your local day care or if the extra $1,200 or $2,400 is enough (once you consider all the savings) stay home to look after your own kids.

If you have a full subsidy, yes there is FREE daycare under Martin's plan. A subsized facilty and a subsidy are two seperate things, you DO know that right? Then there are partial subsidies and so on. How does this help single mothers and why should the wealthy, who chose to work get this money when it should be spent on more subsidised spots? Is there an income limit for receiving this money?

And back to the 150,000 new spots, how is he going to pulll that off?

Ok. 2% reduction.

$800 per year. (after tax)[/quote]

Wha??? Not for me, I don't spend that much money.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Gonzo said:
Giving provinces control of the environment, like Newfoundland controlling its fish stock, is not a good idea.

Err... exactly why not? Trust me, it isn't Newfoundland that keeps giving 2 million + tonne quotas to Russian, Spanish and Japanese Draggers in Canadian waters, or not prosecuting the ones who do this illegally. Nor is it newfoundland who's claiming that a Inshore fishery (open-boats with crews fo 5-6, catching adult fish) is doing more damage to fish stocks than factory trawlers like THIS...

http://www.oceansatlas.com/world_fi...h/capture/vessels/img/factorytrawler4-1-2.jpg

is doing on the breeding grounds of the North Atlantic.

Provinces are closer to the problems in their respective spheres, and are better equipped than Ottawa to assess them.[/url]

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Breakthrough2006 said:

Child care is much more expensive than baby-sitting. Most people would never put a teenager in charge of their new-born but have no problem putting their 8 year old in the hands of a teenager.

Day care for a new born can cost more than $1,000 per month for each child. They need constant supervision. Feedings every 3 hours and diaper changes (which many day cares refuse to do) every 1 - 2 hours. Sterilization of bottles. Not to mention their diets are very specific. You would need a professional to look after your new born, but if your kid is 8 and as long as he doesn't kill himself jumping off the roof, a teenager is more than capable.

The age of six was set because the kids would be in school by then and don't need the full services of a day care center.

Well then, the conservatives truly are idiots. You think a teenager is capable of looking after an 8 year old? What do the 8 year olds do until the teenagers get off school? Hang around the mall?

Hope you don't have kids, you don't seem to have much concept of how to raise them.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Provinces don't have the power/ability to broker international deals though, Doryman. There's no doubt that the feds, Liberals and Conservatives, have screwed up the fishery. There's also no doubt that they've screwed up agricultural policy out here. They still need to be the ones making the decisions though...international bodies aren't going listen to Newfoundland or Manitoba.

We need to change the way things are done so the provinces have more say, by decentralising power won't achieve that.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
That's an interesting fact that provinces don't have the power to broker international deals.

If I'm interpreting that correctly, each individual Governor of each state down here has the power to bring in foreign companies and offer deals and incentives to bring in investment and employment.

Provinces can't do that ?

Or am I not interpreting your post correctly?

turubawebmaster

Oct 18, 2006
Ontario
I think I like all the policies... I've been waiting for a change after seeing what the liberals have done for a lot time... I've been told by lots of people that no matter who you vote for they're all the same... I've seen a lot of promises get broken by the liberals in the past and I was too young to see the mulroney and joe clark eras.... Since I took civics in high school I started understanding politics more and more and I had the conservative idea... I think new democrats have some good ideas but it would be a high cost for taxes... what I like about the ndp is supporting those with special needs and education and health care but I don't think the conservatives would take our health care off the taxes... I would be upset if I did have to pay to go to the hospital... I think the gun registry was a waste of time also

BigBen

Dec 16, 2005
Yes, a GST reduction is much more transparent and easier, but I thought government was supposed to do what is best for the nation, not what necessarily is the easiest thing to do.

Government very rarely ever does what's best for the nation if the public doesn't want it. Most of the time the Government does whatever will get votes. You just have to hope that the general public wants what is best for the nation and the government listens. It's a shame everyone is so misinformed about the GST because it is a very efficient tax, alot better than income taxes, but the public hates GST more than income taxes so it's an easy way to pick up votes.