Political Compass

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Oooops! Very sorry ... I accidently deleted the entire thread!

Andem is going to take my orange wizard stick away :oops: :oops:

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)
If this board works like most others, aren't even deleted threads stored in some sort of backup, at least for a while? If so, you should be able to restore it.

(I hope so, because I've been wanting to look all the way through it!)

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

hmm.

(Interesting questions)

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: RE: Political Compass

Summer said:
If this board works like most others, aren't even deleted threads stored in some sort of backup, at least for a while? If so, you should be able to restore it.

lol ... as I explained to Canucklehead ... my duties are largely ceremonial. I haven't mastered all the wizard tricks yet. In fact I got tossed in at the deep end and seem to be floudering around getting my blonde hair all messy!

I'm sure Andem could restore it, but, alas, I cannot. I see everyone is graciously retaking the test.

Again, apologies all! :oops:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Cosmo said:
Summer said:

lol ... as I explained to Canucklehead ... my duties are largely ceremonial. I haven't mastered all the wizard tricks yet. In fact I got tossed in at the deep end and seem to be floudering around getting my blonde hair all messy!

I'm sure Andem could restore it, but, alas, I cannot. I see everyone is graciously retaking the test.

Again, apologies all! :oops:

s'ok......."sh*t happens" :wink:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Much to the surprize of many on this board, here's my score:

Economic left/right -2.63
Social libertarian/Authoritarian -3.49

Hey, I'm right down there with Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama. I guess that's a good place to be.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Reverend Blair said:
Don't worry about it Cos. Its good to retake the test...results vary with mood.

I've found that to be the case too.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005

Cosmo said:
lol ... as I explained to Canucklehead ... my duties are largely ceremonial. I haven't mastered all the wizard tricks yet.

No worries, Cos, just do me a favour and don't point that stick at me :lol:

Economic Left/Right: -8.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97 (Should be well beyond -7, but I'm in a bad mood) :lol:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Reverend Blair said:
So why are you supporting a party that's in the opposite quadrant, Colpy.

A couple of reasons.

All the major political parties in Canada are reasonably near the centre. The Conservatives may be further away from my spot than any other national party, but the are still centrist. Despite the (honestly held, I think) belief of many on this board, the Conservatives do support public health care, they do support a safety net for the poor, they do support foreign aid, they do support intervention with corporations in matters of the environment or workers' rights, etc.

They just support these things in different ways, or in different quantities, than the other parties. Socially and economically, you could hardly fit a playing card between the Liberals and the Conservatives. They are centrist.

ONe of my main desires is Parliamentary reform, as well as electoral reform. These were the reason d'etre of the old Reform Party, most of whom are still with the Conservatives. The Conservatives would be forced to fulfill their platform promises in thisd regard, or face a party rebellion.

We need an alternative. That is how the system works. The Liberals are corrupt, and it has gone on and on, their arrogance cannot be tolerated. They must be thrown out. The only alternative is the Conservatives. In 5 years, I might be voting Liberal, arguing to throw out the Conservatives, who knows?

I believe that we must defend the supremacy in the world of western civilization. That means going toe-to-toe with anyone that threatens us. It means supporting those that share our values, it means stepping away from those that do not. The NDP's foreign policies are what keeps me out of that fold.

I disagree with the Conservatives on much. I dislike their friendliness to China (although they are LESS friendly than any other party), I hate the concepts inherent in our anti-terror legislation (which the Conservatives would have like to STRENGTHENED), they are a little too cozy with the corporate world (as are the Liberals), and I would like to see the complete legalization of marijuana.

But they are, at this point, the best alternative.

I hate the Liberals.

They MUST be thrown out. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

For now.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I disagree with you on Conservative policy. They would weaken our social programs and their doctrine of increased spending and tax cuts is a sure way to return to deficits. They are not a centrist party at all. They are as far to the right as the George Bush Republicans and entrenched in the same Straussian doctrine. Read up on the "Calgary School".

While the Martin Liberals represent approximately the same kind of centre-right policies that Mulroney's PCs did, the Conservatives have moved far to the right of that. That is especially evident in their willingness to restrict personal rights and freedoms.

The parliamentary reform that the Conservatives are pushing (though not very hard) is basically to give the Senate the same powers as the US Senate. That is less reform than the trading of one badly flawed system for another.

In another thread you also said that you wanted to deal with issues instead of mudslinging. Yesterday in the House it was apparent that Harper is interested in nothing but mud-slinging. In fact if he would have accused the Liberals of having ties to organised crime outside of the House, he would have been sued for libel.

In your own post you accused the Liberals of corruption, yet you have offered no evidence. Gomery is, for all intents and purposes, over. Martin was exonerated. What you are doing with your accusation and lack of additional evidence is, in fact, nothing more than mud-slinging.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"What you are doing with your accusation and lack of additional evidence is, in fact, nothing more than mud-slinging."

This is a Liberal sponsorship scandal.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

I disagree with you on Conservative policy. They would weaken our social programs and their doctrine of increased spending and tax cuts is a sure way to return to deficits. They are not a centrist party at all. They are as far to the right as the George Bush Republicans and entrenched in the same Straussian doctrine. Read up on the "Calgary School".

The Conservatives in Canada are no where NEAR Bush et. Al in the states. In fact, they would be much closer to the Democrats on the political scale. They would never go into deficit. If you have paid any attention to the Reform, and CA parties or Harper, you would know that. Increased spending on the military and other Conservative priorities can easily be offset by cutting wasteful spending in other areas. Our government is AWASH in cash.

While the Martin Liberals represent approximately the same kind of centre-right policies that Mulroney's PCs did, the Conservatives have moved far to the right of that. That is especially evident in their willingness to restrict personal rights and freedoms.

I have a serious problem with things like anti-terror legislation here, and the Patriot Act in the USA. But we already have that with the Liberals. I'm not sure what other restrictions you speak of. AND, as I've said before, you could hardly fit a playing card between Liberal and CPC positions on most issues.

The parliamentary reform that the Conservatives are pushing (though not very hard) is basically to give the Senate the same powers as the US Senate. That is less reform than the trading of one badly flawed system for another.

This is completely untrue. Harper would simply appoint any Senators elected. The US Senate is the most powerful body in Congress. That will not happen here, it cannot. As well, the CPC reform package includes making officers of Parliament responsible to Parliament, free votes, electoral reform, reform of the judicial appointment process, as well as Senate reform.

In another thread you also said that you wanted to deal with issues instead of mudslinging. Yesterday in the House it was apparent that Harper is interested in nothing but mud-slinging. In fact if he would have accused the Liberals of having ties to organised crime outside of the House, he would have been sued for libel.

Yeah. I actually believe the Quebec wing of the Party does have mob connections. Gagliano was listed as a "made man" by some obscure mobster turned state's evidence in the USA. Liberal fund raisers have their cars mysteriously blow up, when they use their remote starters in the summer. HMMMM. BUT, as you say, you shouldn't say anything in the House you are unwilling to say on the street.

In your own post you accused the Liberals of corruption, yet you have offered no evidence. Gomery is, for all intents and purposes, over. Martin was exonerated. What you are doing with your accusation and lack of additional evidence is, in fact, nothing more than mud-slinging.
[/quote]

You missed, perhaps, APEC, the Beaudouin affair, HRDC debacle, Adscam, ALL of which took place while Martin was one of the most powerful men in Cabinet. Like 68% of the people of Canada, I think he knew exactly what was going on. And did nothing. That makes him responsible.

As well, suitcases of money during adscam went to prop up the campaigns of Liberals in trouble in Quebec. Those who accepted this cash are as guilty as those who offered it. Martin knows who they are. Some of them are undoubtedly sitting in the House right now.

Martin has done NOTHING. He is complicit in their crime. He is corrupt to the CORE!

To say nothing of his shenanigans with Canadian Steamship Lines while he was finance minister.