Harper woos Quebec and NDP Burns Liberals

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
Harper woos Quebec as NDP lashes out at federal Liberal government
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONTREAL (CP) - Conservative Leader Stephen Harper said Monday he'll go into the next federal election with a strong team in Quebec that will bring the province back to the Tory fold.

"We're getting good candidates in place and I think we simply have to hit the ground and make the case to Quebecers," he said after a speech in Montreal. "If they want real change, the only way to do that is to change the government. The Conservative party represents a philosophy of federalism that most Quebecers should be very comfortable with."

Harper said former provincial Liberal cabinet minister Lawrence Cannon, who is also a Conservative candidate, is leading an effort to put down organizational roots.

The Conservatives have been largely shut out of Quebec since the province helped Brian Mulroney secure a second consecutive Tory majority in 1988.

In 1993 and in subsequent elections, the Bloc Quebecois grabbed most of the province's 75 seats and still leads in opinion polls.

In his speech, Harper said the only way to clean up the federal government is to vote Conservative because the Bloc will never take power. He also said his party will be more honest and respectful of provincial jurisdictions unlike the Liberals.

Bloc Leader Gilles Duceppe, speaking in Sherbrooke, Que., said his troops are ready to hit the campaign trail if the government falls.

"We're in pre-campaign (mode) and we will be ready when there is a date or the election is called," he said.

Transport Minister Jean Lapierre, Prime Minister Paul Martin's Quebec lieutenant, wasn't scared by recent strong Bloc showings in the polls.

"Surveys change," he said. "We won't build the next election, which will take place in a few months, on the basis of the latest poll."

Lapierre acknowledged he would rather stick to the Liberal timetable of calling an election within 30 days of Justice John Gomery releasing his second report on the sponsorship scandal, which would mean a spring election.

But he recalled his last winter campaign in 1980 when the fall of then Conservative prime minister Joe Clark's government resulted in an election that returned Pierre Trudeau to office with a majority in February of that year.

"You know, it's darn cold but when you win it's a kind of a nice warm feeling," he said.

©The Canadian Press, 2005

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Good Luck Stephen.

Man, will you EVER need it.

I agree with Jack Granatstein. Time to run the country from somewhere OTHER than Quebec.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
...yea I think Quebec is going to be tough for the Conservatives....since Mulroney was the last Tory the province supported...

...you know I would put my money that if Peter Mckay was leader of the CPC they would easily win a minority govnt in this next election.....although I much rather prefer Harper......but Canadians seems to be obsessed superficially with how a person looks rather that what the policies are....its sad....

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Harper woos Quebec an

Harper is going to lose in Quebec. They despise him there. The Liberals will keep their safe seats in Quebec, the BQ will pick up a few (not a lot) more. The NDP will likely increase their vote share there, but they won't win any Quebec seats either.

The NDP will likely take a few away from the Conservatives in the west and the Liberals in Ontario...maybe even another seat in the Atlantic provinces.

In the end, we will have a weaker Liberal minority, a Conservative Party that's the same or weaker, (out of opposition maybe?), and the BQ will be a little stronger (into opposition?). The NDP will will have between 25 and 30 seats, most likely.

What I want to know is why, after spending almost a year bitching and whining, Harper is afraid to bring down the government this week. He wants Layton to do it instead.

Did Stevie look at his demographics and realise that the Christian right is less likely to vote at Christmas than the rest of the population? Did he count all the semi-retired farmers who head south in the winter? Did he figure out that the Conservative youth vote is the softest of all and most likely not to show up if they find it even mildly inconvenient? Is he afraid of the backlash?

Oops, there it is. The backlash. He hasn't figured out the other demographic realities yet, but he knows there'll be a backlash for inducing an election when it's cold outside and people are busy. It's hard to the voluteers to drive signs into the frozen ground. Nobody wants to crawl through snowbanks to knock on doors. If you depend on rural ridings, it's hard to get the vote out when they have to follow a snowplough to the polls too.

No wonder Harper is afraid to pull the trigger. He should have thought of that before he started yapping.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Harper, for very good reason, does not trust Layton.

Harper thinks Jack is simply trying to apply pressure to the Liberals so they will agree to his agenda. Harper is afraid that if he or Duceppe put forward a motion, Jack will jump ship at the first beckoning of his Liberal cronies.

That would leave Harper open to the accusation that he is "allied with the separatists".

It would be difficult for Jack to jump away from his own motion.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Harper has the first opposition day. Last week he was screaming for an election. Layton called his bluff. Jack knew that Stephen would be afraid. Harper looks like a coward now. Why not, he is a coward.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Are you kidding?

The Conservatives are chomping at the bit for an election ASAP.

Realistically, I doubt things will ever get better for Harper than they are RIGHT NOW!

Stephen is a smart boy, he knows that.

Layton is simply untrustworthy.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Do you have a television? The Conservatives have an opposition day next week. If Harper is chomping at the bit, then why isn't he introducing a bill to bring the government down? Why is he saying he doesn't want a Christmas election?

He's not chomping at the bit, he's trying to wiggle out of the bridle he put on himself.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Reverend Blair said:

Do you have a television? The Conservatives have an opposition day next week. If Harper is chomping at the bit, then why isn't he introducing a bill to bring the government down? Why is he saying he doesn't want a Christmas election?

He's not chomping at the bit, he's trying to wiggle out of the bridle he put on himself.

Jeeze, and I thought you were some kind of astute political observer, Rev..... ANYBODY that calls for an election around Christmas-time is a muckin'-foron!!! The electorate will immediately blame them for feckin' up the LAST remaining period of the year that families can call their own, and get AWAY from this Horseflop!!!
- maybe it don't mean SPIT to you Rev - but it does to most Canadians.... So, Deal with it!

The very idea of having to put up with cheap Political hacks, doing a "Talking Heads" thing on sound-bites and sh*tty adverts, is going to garner nothing but anger from the voters. Including me.... hands the frig OFF Christmas-time; shove it!

I got better things to think about.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Poor Jack Layton, no matter what he does he never seems to win. After listening to Harper rag on him, I am reminded that prior to yesterday, Harper and other conservatives were giving him shit for continuing the support.... Here's an excerpt from a conservative cartoonist prior to yesterday:

In the wake of all the Liberal party corruption and scandal, the Conservative Party of Canada has repeatedly called upon the New Democratic Party to join forces with them, and non-confidence vote Paul Martin. The NDP, however, continually refuses to do so, and instead supports the Liberal minority in a defacto coalition.

The NDP never comes close to winning an election, so the best they can hope for is the status quo: a Liberal minority that is desparate to stay in power, and is thus willing to throw the New Democrats all sorts of crazy bones in exchange for support at confidence voting time.
http://www.filibustercartoons.com/

It seems with Jack, he can do no right* to these guys, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

* Pun intended

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Unlike the poll on the 3rd of Nov the one on the 6th has liberals back to where they were previously, so I do not know why Cons are chopping at the bit to have election especially since Libs have a 44-31% lead in Ontario.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Jeeze, and I thought you were some kind of astute political observer, Rev..... ANYBODY that calls for an election around Christmas-time is a muckin'-foron!!! The electorate will immediately blame them for feckin' up the LAST remaining period of the year that families can call their own, and get AWAY from this Horseflop!!!

You should make an attempt at reading my post, Ten Packs. There's a whole paragraph there about the backlash.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
My guess is we're headed for another Liberal Minority government, with NDP support, and, the Conservatives increasing their seat share, the Liberals losing some, but far short of a majority. The Conservative Party has always been scuttled by their anathema to big ideas. In the provincial ranks, they elect intellectually and morally deficient people like Mike Harris, on the promise of some petty tax cuts.. but that doesn't work on the national level. If they reenergized the debate on homosexual marriage by promising a referendum, and the invocation of the notwithstanding clause to reestablish traditional marriage if it passes, that would galvanize the social conservative base. If they took a stand that they would never parlay with separatists, and protect federal institutions, that would galvanize the nationalist base. If they promised to rid themselves of neoconservative (neoliberal) economics, and the free trade bamboozle they'd galvanize the economic nationalists. But they won't do any of these things. The Conservative Party in its current guise, and its current leadership, attracts paltry neoliberal, American sucking, decentralizing, privatizing, free trading, socially degenerative LOSERS. Thats why they'll never form a government and we're left the the default position of the Liberals, who have no backbone, no vision, little honesty.. but they are masters of marketing talking points, which they immediately forget when in office.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Well Martin says he will not negioate, the offer stands as it is and he will not play political games. So it will be interesting what happens.

I also guess if government falls the money wont be availble for First Nations from the Summit in Kelowna later this month, on the 24th? I heard up to 3 billion dollars.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

There's money for the natives and money for cities likely going to go down the tubes here. The interim budget bill comes down on Dec 8. I think the NDP will vote for that bill simply because it contains money for programs they support, but if the government falls first, it becomes a moot point.

Martin is playing a game. If he lets the government fall, he'll get another minority government. The Conservatives will look like boobs again, and likely throw themselves into a leadership race. The Liberals get to rebuild and consolidate their base while the Conservatives are eating their own young.

Gomery becomes a non-issue...this will be the second election on it and while the Conservatives will no doubt demand a third when the final report comes out, that will only make people even sicker of the Conservatives.

The Conservatives are playing a game too, they're just no good at it. Their game will serve to get them a couple more seats in Alberta, but is likely to lose them seats everywhere else.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Harper woos Quebec and NDP Burns Liberals

Colpy said:
Good Luck Stephen.

Man, will you EVER need it.

I agree with Jack Granatstein. Time to run the country from somewhere OTHER than Quebec.

I think the Quebec people and the federal conservative ideology have a lot in common. Quebec can be brought onside because both believe in provincial jurisdiction. The NDP and the Liberals do not believe in this ideology; they believe in the current status quo federation (which isn't working).

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I think he's serious. The Liberals won't take any action to stop privatisation and Layton had that as the bottom line for support. He can't get anything else done because the Conservatives won't work with him...they aren't serious about getting work done.

If the Conservarives were serious, you'd see a lot of mutli-party work going on, especially with ethics and urban issues where there is a lot of agreement, but that only works if the official opposition is willing to play ball, and they clearly aren't.