Paul Martin on Defensive

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
Martin on defensive as polls show minority Liberals in trouble with voters
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAR DEL PLATA, Argentina (CP) - Prime Minister Paul Martin warned Saturday that an early election would derail progress on everything from aboriginal poverty to medical wait times.

He was on the defensive after taking part in a chaotic Summit of the Americas, as polls show his minority Liberals are in trouble with voters.

Martin recited a list of social causes that will be jeopardized if his political rivals move in for the electoral kill.

"Here we are down here talking about poverty," he said as the two-day meeting of 34 leaders from North, South and Central America wrapped up in this coastal resort town.

"We've got huge poverty at home in terms of our aboriginals."

"And this is, I believe, our best chance of really making a significant difference. I don't think anybody wants to see that first ministers meeting effectively cut off by a premature election."

Progress on climate change, medical wait times and an important round of international trade talks in December would also be jeopardized, Martin said.

Two polls since the Gomery report last week into the sponsorship scandal suggest Liberal support has taken a hit. One survey puts the Conservatives slightly ahead of the Liberals for the first time since the spring.

Thirty-one per cent of respondents to the Strategic Counsel poll done for the Globe and Mail said they'd vote for the Tories compared to 30 per cent for the Liberals.

NDP Leader Jack Layton, whose support is crucial to stabilizing Martin's government, is pressuring the prime minister to curb privatization of the public health care system.

Layton said Friday he was "disappointed" by the Liberals' most recent proposal to strengthen medicare.

But the NDP leader, who can't seem to sway more than 20 per cent of voters, stopped short of saying he'll join a Conservative-Bloc Quebecois push to force an early federal election.

A confidence vote that could bring down the government is expected Nov. 15.

Martin has promised to call an election within 30 days of Gomery's final report expected Feb 1. It will recommend action to help prevent another scandal similar to the sponsorship debacle.

"I think Canadians are entitled to know where each of the political parties stand on the recommendations that Mr. Justice Gomery's going to make," Martin said.

©The Canadian Press, 2005

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
"I think Canadians are entitled to know where each of the political parties stand on the recommendations that Mr. Justice Gomery's going to make," Martin said.

...what a joke this man is.....he reminds me of the guy who dosen't know that people can see through his BS.

A confidence vote that could bring down the government is expected Nov. 15.

....hopefully an election is called as soon as possible..this will be quite interesting.... one thing that always bothers me is when the media says that Canadians don't want to take the small time it takes to go to the poll and vote...I believe these media people just don't want to be working over the holiday's and so they make these statements..
...heck I celebrate christmas and this year I have family flying up to Calgary....but it won't stop me from taking the half hour out to go and vote.....you can also cast you ballot a few days early......and the holidays are a perfect time as many of us will have work off...to watch all the election coverage.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Not me, I don't want an early election.
For one thing, it might mean that Gomery's last report is never going to be "judged" with and election based on it's results. We the People have an opportunity to say if we think what they did was bad or worth it. [and if we believe what it might say].
...And maybe we won't see it at all? - if Liberals lose an election, their promise to let Gomery finish will not be valid anymore. Lets wait, see it thru.

Mostly, I don't want an election because there is an opportunity to pass some good legistlation. An Election will stop all that. We have wasted too much time allready, lets get these things going.
Progress on climate change, medical wait times and an important round of international trade talks in December would also be jeopardized, Martin said.

Also, the Cannabis laws need to get back into the Parliament, and until some other things are off the books, it will remain in limbo. We cannot have criminal laws in limbo, it isn't fair to the perps, the medical users or the law itself.
We need this Parliamentary time to do some work, let Gomery finish.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
This will be the PCs last kick at the can under Harper, so they believe this is the best chance they can have at being elected. If they fail this time..goodbye PCs. I wouldn't reward them with my vote if they force an election before Christmas.[Not that I'd ever vote for them!]

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
......the number 1 reason I don't want to wait till March is because I don't want to see the Liberals spend taxpayer money to gain support and win another election...I don't know if you pay taxes or not but this is the most annoying thing to watch....

If you wait..it will jsut give them Libs time to buy back the support they need to win.....the liberals are also masters of spin all they need is time and our money.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Paul Martin on Defens

The Conservatives will lose again anyway, Hank. Then when Gomery's final report comes out, Harper will act all indignant and try to force another election.

I said it another thread and I'll say it again here. If Harper really wanted to do something about corruption, he'd support the NDP plan and help to actually limit corruption. It isn't at all complicated and it doesn't require bringing down the government. If the Bloc was supporting it too, then the Liberals would likely agree to fast-track it through.

The thing is that Harper doesn't give a rat's ass about ending corruption. What he wants is to be Prime Minister.