Language issues...again

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
:roll: My only beef is that the guy complaining isn't taking into consideration all of the other languages that are already serviced through the territories gov't, you got your Dogrib, Cree, Innuinaqtun...etc And there are other native language groups that aren't serviced but still wanna be...Get in line with the Rest buddy!

Our rights are being violated, say N.W.T. francophones

A Yellowknife court has heard that francophones in the Northwest Territories are being denied their right to service in their own language.

Closing arguments are expected to wrap up this week in the case, which could force the territorial government to be more accessible to French-speaking people.

The Federation Franco-Tenoise says constitutionally protected French-language rights are not being respected in the Northwest Territories.

In his day-long closing argument Tuesday, federation lawyer Roger LePage said the federal government is ultimately responsible for ensuring that government services and publications are available in French.

It was an argument that turned on how the territory is different from the provinces.

LePage pointed out that there is no mention of the territories in the Canadian Constitution.

"If the federal government chose to govern directly here, it could do so," said LePage, speaking through an interpreter. "But it has chosen to delegate powers."

In addition to the association, the lawsuit was brought by the French-language newspaper L'Aquilon, and five individuals. Each alleges the territorial government repeatedly denied them service in French.

In one case, said LePage, a woman in Inuvik went to Quebec for an operation because no translators were available at the hospitals in Inuvik or Yellowknife.

Lawyers for the territorial and federal government are expected to begin their closing arguments Wednesday.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
RE: Language issues...aga

I guess my only response is that the last time i checked, canada was an English-French billingual country and that all provinces had to offer both languages in its government buildings. And the NWT is a part of Canada...therefore french should be offered there officially. But...i don't know if that extends to hospitals which are run by the provincial governments. Is it worth suing for though if the government has already paid to have her sugery in quebec to meet her language needs?

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
I never knew the North West Territories had a French community? I'm aware that provinces like Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba ...etc) have historically had French speaking communites, but this is the first I heard about the NWT. I guess I must have missed that one in history class.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
RE: Language issues...aga

You'd be surprised James....Alberta even has a few (Beaumont, northern edmonton has a few communities, and various other places).

I would assume that if you have french in Albert-duh, you would most definately have it everywhere else ..lol.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: Language issues...aga

Semperfi_dani said:
I guess my only response is that the last time i checked, canada was an English-French billingual country and that all provinces had to offer both languages in its government buildings. And the NWT is a part of Canada...therefore french should be offered there officially. But...i don't know if that extends to hospitals which are run by the provincial governments. Is it worth suing for though if the government has already paid to have her sugery in quebec to meet her language needs?

I believe there's a difference of opinion when it comes to languages with Provinces vs. Territories. Yes French was considered an official language up there, but you'd be hard pressed to find it available, not to mention people that can use it. Although English is the first language heard, you're more likley going to hear/read the native languages more often up there since they would be used by the majority of the populace.

If you were to enforce bilingualism up there, services, street signs, etc, would be a waste of money because .001% of the population would use it or actually know what it means.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Yep, I knew Alberta did have it's French Speaking communities, Semperfi_dani. Just look at the city of Grande Prairie, in Northern Alberta. I could have sworn that some provinces like ... Newfoundland would not historically have had any French speakers living there? Maybe I'm wrong and was dozing off during that part of history class ...?

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
It is high time we look at what the 'official languages act' means, and come up with a more rational approach to government language services. We need to draft regulations that government services should be available in any language used by more than a certain percentage of the population. And that shouldn't mean that all government workers need to speak that language, it should mean that somebody at the government office can offer service in that language.

The present system is non-sensical. Forcing government workers in B.C. to know French when Mandarin or Catonese is probably much more common.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
You all know I worked for Canada Post, and the policy there was to have at least one clerk at the front wickets who spoke French[just to satisfy the requirements]. i know he seldom ever got the chance to use his ability.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

French services must meet 'reality', say N.W.T. lawyers

Lawyers for the N.W.T. government told a Yellowknife court Wednesday that the provision of French language service must be balanced against the number of people who actually speak the language in the territory. A four-year-old lawsuit aimed at forcing the government to provide more service in French comes to a close Thursday.

The lawsuit was initiated by the Association Franco-Tenoise, the organization that advocates for French-speaking people in the territory. The association representing francophones says government policy has eroded French language and culture in the N.W.T. over the last 23 years. The Association wants $25.5 million to build French centres in four communities to make up the loss of French language and culture. It also says the French-language newspaper, L'Aquilon, deserves an award of $1.2 million as compensation for advertising revenue it should have received from the territorial government.

On Wednesday, lawyers for the territorial government talked about the difference between "real and practical language equality" and the "perfect equality" they say the francophone association is demanding. According to the government, there are only about 900 people in the territory whose first language is French. Lawyer Roger Tasse argued that realities, like the small demand for French language services, must be recognized.Tasse said, as an example, that it's difficult enough for the government to hire all the nurses it needs, never mind searching for French-speaking ones.

The trial itself has been an expensive one for taxpayers. The territorial government says it has spent about $1 million on legal fees to defend itself, plus another $190,000 to host the trial.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It would seem to me that native languages ought to get priority over foreign imports such as French and English any day!