Liberals hit with fresh scandals

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
Already planning Gomery damage control, Liberals hit with fresh scandals
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTTAWA (CP) - The Liberal government found itself doused by fresh scandals Monday as it braced for the roaring return of an old one: the sponsorship fiasco.

The Liberals were already drafting plans to deal with an expected scorching by Justice John Gomery in his report on the sponsorship scandal in two weeks. But their behind-the-scenes plan to announce a government reform package was undermined by the pummeling they took over new allegations of ethical abuses.

The government was dogged by allegations of expense-claim irregularities in the Fisheries Department; improper contracting in the Indian Affairs Department; and a golden handshake with a Royal Canadian Mint boss who resigned amid scandal.

"The virus of Liberal entitlement, rot and corruption has spread into the department of unlimited spending," said Tory MP Jim Prentice.

With Gomery's first report slated for release Nov. 1 and an election expected within months, the opposition is trying to prove the Liberals haven't cleaned up their act since the sponsorship affair.

They used the daily question period to hammer the government over:

-A spending scandal in the Fisheries Department that has included the firing of two civil servants.

-A contract awarded by the Indian Affairs Department on the condition that an outside consultant leave no paper trail.

-Whether the prime minister's office guaranteed David Dingwall a severance package last month before he resigned as head of the Royal Canadian Mint amid yet another ethics scandal.

- A series of $100-plus pizza dinners Immigration Minister Joe Volpe placed on his expense account.

The federal cabinet is considering a series of measures intended to make government more transparent and accountable.

Sources said Treasury Board President Reg Alcock hopes to announce the measures in the coming days - even before Gomery's sponsorship report.

The plan has not yet been approved by cabinet but one government official said it would help take the sting out of Gomery's report.

But another official said the changes being proposed by Alcock are ones he has advocated for years and have nothing to do with the sponsorship scandal.

Also Monday, Fisheries Minister Geoff Regan said bureaucrats had been fired over alleged abuses in his department.

The two employees - both from the East Coast - were fired for making fraudulent travel claims.

One was a worker in Newfoundland who fraudulently spent $10,000, using a credit card inappropriately. The other involved fraud over $1,000.

Fisheries officials said the firings were not directly related to a new audit at the department, first reported by The Canadian Press. The review found a litany of problems in hospitality and travel expenses, including exorbitant prices for airfare and travel claims with no evidence of any work having been done.

One staffer charged $6,000 in hotel bills and meals so he could be with his spouse for a birth.

All expenses over $1,000 now are being examined, and there are spot checks of claims under $1,000.

The expense-claim problems at the Fisheries Department were the subject of fresh attacks in the Commons over spending and contracting irregularities.

Tory Leader Stephen Harper also cited problems at Indian Affairs, where a contract this year stipulated that a consultant was to leave no paper trail.

"Why, nearly two years after the auditor general condemned this practice in the sponsorship scandal, does the government still award contracts with no proper audit paper trail?" he asked.

©The Canadian Press, 2005

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
...jesus...how much corruption do the liberals have to be convicted of before we tell em to hit the road.....it almost boils the blood to see them talk and try and defend themselves......

.....I was watching the news today.....in question period the NDP were attacking the liberals on health care, and the liberals response?....they did not answer the question ...but rather actually stood up and claimed that Conservatives want to privatize health care and that they are closer to the NDP on health care values ...but declined to explain how......

...my god......vote NDP or Conservative or Green in the next fedaral election.....it doesn't matter as long as the libs are gone.......anything is better than these shitholes......

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Ah boys, you are being so silly. This kind of thing is not Liberal corruption, it is corruption within departments by individuals. Do you think the minister of fisheries personally checks each expense account claim?

There were abuses. Two guys were caught and fired before the audit. The audit itself was generated within the government, not because of the opposition parties, and disciplinary action will be taken.

If you knew anything about government, you'd know that it takes a lot of time to deal with situations like this. If the time isn't taken, then the government gets sued and the opposition tries to make a scandal out of that.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Reverend Blair said:
Ah boys, you are being so silly. This kind of thing is not Liberal corruption, it is corruption within departments by individuals. Do you think the minister of fisheries personally checks each expense account claim?

There were abuses. Two guys were caught and fired before the audit. The audit itself was generated within the government, not because of the opposition parties, and disciplinary action will be taken.

If you knew anything about government, you'd know that it takes a lot of time to deal with situations like this. If the time isn't taken, then the government gets sued and the opposition tries to make a scandal out of that.

Meanwhile - everyone roll over, fluff their pillows, and go back to sleep....

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
A contract awarded by the Indian Affairs Department on the condition that an outside consultant leave no paper trail.
..ummmm quite fishy don't ya think

a golden handshake with a Royal Canadian Mint boss who resigned amid scandal.
...... this is a outrage that the liberals are squeezing more money out of the taxpayer for Dingwall...... who know's maybe they are paying him off so that he wont expose more corruption....

Joe Volpe placed on his expense account.
....these are all the words you need to see......whats with this Volpe character acting like Canadian taxpayer money is for him to get his ass hand-washed and get a BJ while he dines....

Sources said Treasury Board President Reg Alcock hopes to announce the measures in the coming days - even before Gomery's sponsorship report.

The plan has not yet been approved by cabinet but one government official said it would help take the sting out of Gomery's report.

.... I for one will not be fooled by liberal tactics to divert attention away from liberal corruption and the SS...... Reg Alcock is a big piece of shit like his name indictes....I mean he called an Asian mp from Manitoba " low in the gene pool".....

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Liberals hit with fre

Not at all, Ten Packs. Like I said in one of the other threads about this, address the policies that lead to the problems.

The Conservatives don't want to do that. They want to jump up and down and yell and scream, but they want to keep the rules loose in case they get into office.

Try to talk about Conservative corruption and you hear things like, "That's just small potatoes," though. Funny, I never considered trying to subvert democracy to be small potatoes.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
Not at all, Ten Packs. Like I said in one of the other threads about this, address the policies that lead to the problems.

The Conservatives don't want to do that. They want to jump up and down and yell and scream, but they want to keep the rules loose in case they get into office.

...well I gotta agree with ya there...and I would like to see them question the policies........but it seems everyone acts like kids in Ottawa....

.....however it still does not change the fact that the current government is corrupt....and to say that if another party were to be elected they would be corrupt too and therefore juftifying corruption and letting the Liberals get off....I have to say this is some strange logic

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

There does happen to be a party in Ottawa putting forth policy suggestions that would address these problems, Hank. Should I order you up an orange sign for the next election?

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
There does happen to be a party in Ottawa putting forth policy suggestions that would address these problems, Hank. Should I order you up an orange sign for the next election?

......like I said Rev vote PC,NDP,Green..whatever just make sure its not liberal...... :)

...yes I respect the NDP in that aspect that they are trying to question policies...although I sometimes feel that Laynton is putting on a show trying to prove he's the angel in parliment.... :puke:

...but I am more closesly lined with conservative policies so I think Ill vote harper.....

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Since you Conservatives always ask this about the Liberals, why do you never ask it about the Conservatives? Why would you vote for a party known to be corrupt?

How can you question peoples' support for the Liberals when you are doing the same damned thing?

Mad_Hatter

Nominee Member
Oct 14, 2005
Shakedown Street
www.myspace.com
I agree with Hank. How much scandal and corruption by ministers, former ministers, departments and individuals within a party needs to go down before the party can be considered corrupt?

Reverend, I voted NDP last election but I am so disgusted with all the parties in the house right now I think this time around I'll vote Green or perhaps the Marijuana party. God knows either of them would be better choices than the clowns in power now.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That's fine Mad Hatter. You might consider the CAP too. The point is that we continually hear from the Conservatives how corrupt the Liberals, but the Conservatives have shown themselves to be corrupt as well.

Mad_Hatter

Nominee Member
Oct 14, 2005
Shakedown Street
www.myspace.com
Don't worry Reverend.
I promise, I will never vote for Stephen Harper nor the Conservatives... unless of course we ever get a re-birth of the Red Tories and Joe Clark rides in on his white horse to save us.

Until then, regardless of how much corruption the Cons may be guilty of they are not in power; the libs are. Conservative corruption does not justify Liberal scandal.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

And I don't mean it too. The Conservatives' tact of scandal-mongering without ever offering up alternative policy or trying to address the root of the problem is a continuation of their complete ineptitude as the official opposition though. It is very important that be noted because as long as they are seen as the party to vote for if you are fed up with the Liberals, and as long as they continue this ineffective strategy, we won't get any meaningful change. The Liberals will remain in power and continue to do whatever they want.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
:lol: I guess I found the right place for this.