What do you think of the Green Party?

CamTheCat

Oct 5, 2005
Alberta
jazzauthority.blogspot.com
What do you think of the Green Party?

The more I look into it, the more it looks like a serious option. I'm voting green next time because I know it sends a clear message to the gov't that I'm tired of their ways.

Has anyone else actually seen their website, or lookes into their policies? What do you think?

Cameron W

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: What do you think of

Their policies are a little too corporate-oriented for me, but I think they are a good addition to the national political scene.

If they have a candidate in my riding for the provincial election I might vote for him/her but federally I'll stick with the NDP. My provincial MLA is a slug. He lied to us and won't be getting my vote anymore as a result.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
A politician lieing you gots to be kidding Rev :p My local MP says she's not going to cash her energy rebate check as a protest she's a Con :x I'm thinking a member of parliment is going to get a rebate after she already got a 10% boost in her travel allowance 8O What a complete joke on us the TAX PAYER.I say fire the whole lot of them :evil:

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC

I voted Green in the BC provinical election in May. Mostly because they were the only major party that hasn't had a chance to royally rip off the people of BC yet. Figured I'd like to give somebody new a chance instead of Gordie "Lie and Priviatize" Campbell or Carole "My party is imcompetent at managing funds" James. Federally I think I'd rather go NDP though.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: What do you think of

Andygal said:
I voted Green in the BC provinical election in May. Mostly because they were the only major party that hasn't had a chance to royally rip off the people of BC yet. Figured I'd like to give somebody new a chance instead of Gordie "Lie and Priviatize" Campbell or Carole "My party is imcompetent at managing funds" James. Federally I think I'd rather go NDP though.

I would consider voting for the "Family Values Party" here, Andygal. However, their chances of winning are about as remote as a snowball in hell. As such, I don't like to waste my vote and stick with the mainstream parties that I also identify with (like the Republican party).

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC

The Green party is becoming mainstream here in BC. They won, 10 percent, 9 percent, of the popular vote last time.

It's because BC runs off our natural resources(logging, fishing, tourism) so the people here are very concerned about perserving them.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
They are kinda like Unions - they don't want to hear from you, unless it spouting the same things they do - but they are VERY valuable, to keep the others on "the up-and-up". I wouldnt want to live in a place without them.

BUT RUN the country??? Oh, Puh-leeeze! I can just see what the Greens would do for the already-decimated Armed Forces, and how warm the relations would be with militaristic countries like the US and Britain, and Industialist states like Japan, South Korea, Germany and so on.
And then there's the question of whter any of them have ever balanced a cheque-book in thier lives.

Yeah, right.....

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

They're basically PCs with an environmental plan, Ten Packs. The Green platform is as viable as any centrist party.

Kellen

Nominee Member
Sep 26, 2005
Calgary, Alberta
Re: RE: What do you think of

Nascar_James said:
Andygal said:

I would consider voting for the "Family Values Party" here, Andygal. However, their chances of winning are about as remote as a snowball in hell. As such, I don't like to waste my vote and stick with the mainstream parties that I also identify with (like the Republican party).

The Republican Party has turned into an abomination of what conservatism ought to be. Under W the government has done nothing but grow, he refuses to cut down on pork-barrell spending which is demonstrated by the fact that he's never vetoed a spending bill, and he can't even protect the constitution, judging from his latest judicial nominee. Not to mention the monstrous debt...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

He has promised to veto what amounts to his own spending bill if anybody attaches a rider saying that the US has to quit torturing people though.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
:x I think that's the main problem we're having today, no one wants to vote for anyone different because they want to vote for a Mainstream party that will have a chance of winning. Not realizing that in the long term the more votes for the non mainstream parties will build up to an actual mainstream over time. It's just not going to get anywhere if people are wanting the quick fix of either you win or you don't.

Personally I'd like to prepare for the long term, but too many people still see politics as black and white, and we're not going to get anywhere if we keep doing so.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

A lot of that is because we don't teach much about politics, Jo. The Conservatives and Liberals have reduced it to a zero sum game instead of a method of governing. Most see politics as what happens around elections now, not determining and setting policy.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I personally believe politics should be taught in schools. The history of diferent parties, why we vote, more on how governments are "suppose" to be run, the reasons why we vote and need a government, history's of diferent governments etc. Get some "old timer" retired politicians in to talk to classes.

The problem is politics has been more of a show at election time and in the house, they seem more like actors performing for the camera's. Money is distributed (and stolen)for political reasons.

Big business and too much money(via corperate donations, and then they expect *nudge nudge wink wink* favours in return) is what has really ruined and corrupted the whole political structure and the way governments govern.

We need to get young people more involved as they will be the leaders of the future. The voting age should be 15 or 16 as a lot of government policies affect them, even though they can not vote until 18.

CamTheCat

Oct 5, 2005
Alberta
jazzauthority.blogspot.com

I don't see it as a waste of a vote by voting for the Green party at the provincial or federal level. They will get 1.75 per vote, and it sends a clear message to the gov't that we are sick of the way they are doing things.

I like their platform, and I hope that Albertans wake up to the environmental issue before they lose their auquafers/ground water to the oil barons. It makes me sick to think that the wheat eat is grown downwind from an oil well.

The gren is right? How so? I'm curious as to why you'd say this. They seem left to me, but I'm no expert.

Cameron W

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
...the green party are you serious!!!

.....last election I saw one of the Saskatchewan candiates ( I believe) on television.... anyways it was a debate consisting of a Liberal/Conservative/ & NDP as well as the Green represantative....... and let me tell you he look like an uneducated fool....looked like some white guy living in a Edmonton ghetto who don't own no razor or a bar of soap.... shit the scrub wasen't even wearing a suit but a farmer shirt tucked into cargos....hahahahh.... looked like he needed a warm meal and a hot bath.

...anyways seems like the Green are more for the younger people... who are usually extremely left with a lotta heart...... and who can blame them I mean I too was a liberal when I was a teenager......but I guess some of us grow up.