Svend making a comeback?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Gay Activist Former MP Svend Robinson Lines Up Political Comeback Attempt

VANCOUVER, B.C., September 29, 2005, (LifeSiteNews.com) – This past February Canadian gay activist and former New Democratic Party MP Svend Robinson told CBC News Sunday that a return to politics for him is not out of the question. It seems that possibility is soon to become a reality.

According to a Vancouver Sun report Robinson is testing the waters in preparation for a comeback. The Sun quotes Robinson as saying “I still have a lot of energy and passion and care deeply about many of the issues that are front and centre in political life today … I still have something to contribute, frankly." If Robinson does make a try in the next federal election it appears he will contest for Vancouver Centre, the riding of Liberal MP Hedy Fry.

Well known for being the first openly gay politician and notorious for instigating several maverick events, such as participating in an illegal assisted suicide, Mr. Robinson is most recently known for his theft last year of a $64,000 ring for his gay lover, a theft for which Robinson received only a conditional sentence, along with 100 hours of community service. He received neither jail time nor a criminal record for the theft.

Click above link for rest.

I hope he suceeds, I am all for second chances.

also-

RCMP pay Svend $10,000

neocon-hunter

Time Out
Sep 27, 2005
Cloverdale, BC
RE: Svend making a comeba

Well he was popular while he was an MP. I do not know if that ring business will really hurt him or not.

Hedy fry has been a lame duck and only reason she was returned because all the other candidates were "lame".

I believe he could and will beat her. Partly because Hedy is "tired" and partly due to make up demographically of that riding. Plus he was well liked and respected and I believe he still is.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Re: RE: Svend making a comeba

neocon-hunter said:
Plus he was well liked and respected and I believe he still is.

Sure... hanging out at logging protests, until there's rumours that the cops are coming..... then POOF! (ooops, pardon the term)

The fastest and surest way to commit suicide? Get in between Svend and a News-camera.....

Vitamin C

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2005
Ontario

I think he celebrityness will get him a win...And I don't think anyone will care about him being a thief. They don't mind the liberals.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
If Robinson does make a try in the next federal election it appears he will contest for Vancouver Centre, the riding of Liberal MP Hedy Fry.

Man - can you imagine? An election for Vancouver Centre, where the candidates are Svend Robinson, Hedy Fry, and some unknown schmuck for the Conservatives (plus someone Green, who cares who it is)???

What better reason to go camping for a week at Cultus Lake? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I take it Svend can count on your full support then, Ten Packs? :lol:

He didn't do a bad job as MP. Yeah, he's annoying and over the top, but he did bring attention to the issues his constituents thought were important and nobody could ever say that they didn't know where he stood. A race between Svend and Hedy would be fun to watch if nothing else.

Gary

Nominee Member
Sep 28, 2005
Vernon, B.C.
Yes it would be interesting, but he does't even know the difference between right and wrong and should be in jail because of that theft. That was a serious crime and probably got off because he was gay.
He has no morals or pride and I think did it just to get the attention.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Gary, that's about the stupidest thing you've said on this board so far.

If you look at the facts, Svend was clearly under psychological stress. He knew about the security in place and knew that he'd be caught. He knew what that would do to his political career. He did it anyway.

It has nothing to do with him being gay. It has nothing to do with morals or pride. It has to do with a man suffering a mental illness.

Gary

Nominee Member
Sep 28, 2005
Vernon, B.C.
<SNIP: Personal Attack>
So your saying it's not Svend's fault right ?
Perhaps he's the victim here ?
If he has a mental illness that allows him to get off with no punishment then he should be under phsycriatric care and not be allowed to be in a position of public trust again. Or do you think it's ok to steal Rev ?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
So your saying it's not Svend's fault right ?

I never said that. I think Svend should have stepped down and sought help long before the situation got as bad as it did. Few people with mental health issues actually do that before they hit bottom though.

Perhaps he's the victim here ?

I never said that either, although he has been the victim of brutal attacks from the radical right that are based far more on his sexual orientation than anything having to do with the ring.

If he has a mental illness that allows him to get off with no punishment then he should be under phsycriatric care and not be allowed to be in a position of public trust again.

If he feels he is well enough to come back to work, then he should be allowed to run again...just like anybody with any other sort of illness.

If you are claiming that he was not punished, then you are obviously ignorant of the facts surrounding the case.

Or do you think it's ok to steal Rev ?

Nope, if I thought it was okay to steal I'd alternate my votes between the Liberals and the Conservatives.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC

Reverend Blair said:
Gary, that's about the stupidest thing you've said on this board so far.

If you look at the facts, Svend was clearly under psychological stress. He knew about the security in place and knew that he'd be caught. He knew what that would do to his political career. He did it anyway.

It has nothing to do with him being gay. It has nothing to do with morals or pride. It has to do with a man suffering a mental illness.

Can you say "Bullshit" on this Forum???

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

You can say it, Ten Packs, and you've known me long enough to know that I'm not exactly a Svend Robinson fan, but the fact remains that he knew he'd be caught and did it anyway.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC

Reverend Blair said:
You can say it, Ten Packs, and you've known me long enough to know that I'm not exactly a Svend Robinson fan, but the fact remains that he knew he'd be caught and did it anyway.

Yes, I agree - which indicates the only "mental illness" he suffers from is (and I forget the technical term) is a pathological need to constantly be the centre of attention.... I am not surprised that he wants to make a comeback; he can't stand to be just another Joe.

How convenient that the "stress" of his crime resulted in him receiving paid stress LEAVE; unendingly, as I understand it. :roll: :roll: :roll:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Surely the NDP

can find a candidate who didn't steal anything. I personally don't understand why he doesn't have a criminal record. Dave, who works at the Jiffy-lube would have gotten a few years in the slammer, and a criminal record for the same crime. Having said that, I also think he will probably get elected :x :roll:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

He had far more attention as an MP than as a thief, Ten Packs. Have you heard his name since the sentence was handed down?

The fact remanins that Robinson is an effective MP, Juan. The NDP can find another candidate, but finding another that can depose Hedy is another matter all together. People I've talked to within the NDP are split on this, but like you said, Svend will likely win.

LeftCoast

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2005
Vancouver

I lived in North Burnaby for a few years in the 80's and 90's, in Svend's riding. While there is no force on earth that could compel me to vote NDP (although I may vote COPE in the upcoming civic elections in Vancouver), Svend was an excellent MP. He works extremely hard for his constituents, is very visible in his riding and often answers phone calls personally - that is when he is not grand standing for the news media.

I was saddened and disappointed by the stolen ring thing - it was so out of character for him.

I wouldn't vote for him, but if the alternative was Hedy (crosses are burning) Fry - I'd probably vote green instead.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
I'd rather trust a person who stole thousands from a store then millions from the tax payers.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I actually like Hedy Fry...she makes me laugh. When she stands up in Question Period, it's time break out the popcorn and open a beer. I wouldn't want her for my MP, but as comedy relief she's a national treasure.