Paul the hack Martin

neocon-hunter
Stephen Harper? He is liked their and if he gets slaughtered come next election? Would he want to run provincially though?

no1important
The only thing Harper will do after next federal election is run his shrunken caucus, which will mostly be mp's from Alberta.

I kinda think old ralphie like the power and hero worship and I could even see him staying on longer....

Hank C Cheyenne
you know Harper would actually be an intresting choice for premier of Alberta.........if he can't win the federal election...he should give it a shot.........he could be like a young Preston Manning .

Reverend Blair
Quote:

he could be like a young Preston Manning .

I doubt it, Manning called Harper a quitter.

Quote:

Perhaps Albertans might be able to convince Ralph Klein to run for Federal politics.

Yeah, that's a good idea. The man is despised outside of Alberta. You should run him.

Quote:

Even worst than that. Her husband is affiliated with communism!

Her husband isn't GG though, is he? That and the charges are largely facbricated. Even if he were, communism is a legitimate political stance and contains many facets that you latter-day McCarthyites are completely unaware of.

Quote:

....good question.....what about the last 2 governon generals?

One was an anglophone, one a francophone. The position traditionally alternates between the two. Both were qualified. The last one did her job in spite of constant attacks from an uneducated, ignorant, vitrolic, and unfair radical right. I expect Ms. Jean will carry on that tradition.

Quote:

actaully every province here is forced to have SSM..... its jsut not democracy because there was no national referendum on the issue!

One of the basic tenets of democracy is protecting the rights of minorities from the tyranny of the majority. That goes back to ancient Greece. It's funny how when some say they support democracy when what they actually support is mob rule...at least until the mob turns against them.

There is also the small matter of constitutionality. Denying those of the same gender the right to marry is an infringement on their rights.

Quote:

Just thought of another issue the voters will ponder when come election time. Why in the world have the last 4 PM's come from Quebec? Why not pick someone from Alberta or say the Maritimes this time? Even Ontario,... many good candidates there, like Mike Harris.

Mike Harris belongs in prison over Ipperwash and the nuclear plant kick-backs. He's a perfect example of how corrupt conservatives are.

Kim Campbell was from BC. Joe Clark was from Alberta. John Diefenbaker was from Saskatchewan. There's three for you.

Part of why a lot of leaders come from Quebec is the political tradition there. It is not as dependent on sound-bites and closed-house photo-ops. There is more of a tradition of discussion and debate. That makes those who came up through the ranks in Quebec formidable opponents in a leadership run.

Jo Canadian
Quote: Originally Posted by Hank C Cheyenne

you know Harper would actually be an intresting choice for premier of Alberta.........if he can't win the federal election...he should give it a shot.........he could be like a young Preston Manning .

Actually I'd be quite curious how Alberta would do under Harper. At least you'd get to see how he'd run a province before he starts running 10 of them .

Ralph in federal politics would be funny though, first of all he'd have to learn French, I bet he'd butcher it as well as I. Second he'd be good business for the political cartoonists, and a gold mine for air farce, 22 minutes and other political/comedy shows.