The Right Honorable Michaëlle

shamus11

Electoral Member

Her Excellency the Right Honorable

By

James Bredin

Her Excellency the Right Honorable Michaëlle Jean,
Governor General designate so where have you been?
Would rather stay completely out of the publicity poop,
Didn’t say she never was a part of that separatist group.

That evidence on the video is completely wrong,
She’s been selected by the adscam Liberals to come along,
So you can get that video and shove it, you know where,
There’s no voting, referendums or recall in this affair.

The adscam Liberals claim it’s a smear campaign and not nice,
She speaks French, is a black Haitian immigrant to be precise,
How could you get any more politically correct than that?
And the adscam Liberal left wingers are all going to bat.

She is going to move into Rideau Hall in September,
You will learn quickly to pay the proper respect; just remember,
We can’t vote for her or a senator or the prime minister,
And don’t dare think that this is not democratic or sinister.

And if you are Canadian, you can go back to sleep and snore,
The adscam Liberals will carry on just as before,
Nothing will ever change because we just love the status quo,
They’re going to tax and travel and spend all your hard earned dough.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005
http://jimbredin.blogspot.com/

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I like the 'we can't vote for her on senators or prime minister'.

Many people think the US is some great example of democracy, but think of this: in the US, the top cabinet posts are APPOINTED by the president, and are NOT ELECTED officials...at least in Canada, our ministers in the cabinet are elected MPs. We may not vote for the PM, but at least he is an elected MP.

And, technically, the people of the US do NOT actually vote for the President. The electoral college does that.

Musicman

Electoral Member
Aug 7, 2005
Re: RE: The Right Honorable Michaëlle

TenPenny said:
I like the 'we can't vote for her on senators or prime minister'.

Many people think the US is some great example of democracy, but think of this: in the US, the top cabinet posts are APPOINTED by the president, and are NOT ELECTED officials...at least in Canada, our ministers in the cabinet are elected MPs. We may not vote for the PM, but at least he is an elected MP.

And, technically, the people of the US do NOT actually vote for the President. The electoral college does that.

Thats a bit of hair splitting, no? The people of the US do actually get to vote, on a ballot, for the president.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: The Right Honorable M

Thats a bit of hair splitting, no? The people of the US do actually get to vote, on a ballot, for the president.

Then how come Nader was not on the ballot in all 50 states the last two elections? Sounds screwey to me.

How come most states you get all "electorial college votes" if you even win the state by one vote but in Maine the electorial college votes can be split among candiates?

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

Musicman said:

Hair splitting? Are you really that dense, or are you just being facetious?

Your lack of understanding of the contrasts between our parliamentary democracy, and their democratic republic is really quite astouding.

Yes the people vote directly for the President...and when the President turns out to be a lunatic asshole, and he fills his cabinet with like-minded lunatic assholes, then the world is in for some hurting...nothing the Bush administration has done in the last 5 years would indicate that they have any regard whatsoever for democracy...

Yes we may long for democratic reform in this country, but a US style Presidential election is not it, never was, and never will be...only an idiot would wish for something like that...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Vanni Fucci said:
Musicman said:
Yes the people vote directly for the President...and when the President turns out to be a lunatic asshole, and he fills his cabinet with like-minded lunatic assholes, then the world is in for some hurting...nothing the Bush administration has done in the last 5 years would indicate that they have any regard whatsoever for democracy...

The people might "vote" for the President, but the President is ELECTED by the electoral college, and in some states it's a version of our own "first past the post" system, where one cadidate gets ALL of the electoral college votes, in other states it's proportional, AND IN SOME STATES THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE CAN VOTE HOWEVER THEY WISH....

Hair splitting, or just facts? If you don't understand the rules, you might as well not argue the point.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It used to be the Canada's top post was appointed by the Queen or King depending on who was sitting on the throne.
At least a Canadian, the Prime Minister picks the Queens representative. The only reform I would like to see, is we get rid of the Senate. We have a multi party parliamentary democracy, and it serves us well. I don't want to see us Americanize our system or go to the fuzzy silly proportional representation model such as Europe. Most of thier proceedings are like a soap opra, where nothing ever happens, or they have a referendum, governed by special interest groups that dictate democracy to the average guy in the street, sort of like America
Our system is not perfect but at least we vote for a local rep, and the leader is chosen by the members of the winning party.
What really needs to happen is more people must become involved in politics, and ensure their choices are elected, or at least the leaders of their party of choice, represent their beliefs.

shamus11

Electoral Member

Canadian Democratic Deficit # 2

By

James Bredin

Dudley Dithers and the democratic deficit from hell,
If you haven’t already heard about this, then no one will tell,
Maybe it’s because you’ve been programmed never to think,
Their pompous propaganda will do it daily with a wink.

The adscam Liberals make announcements and always persist,
Democratic deficit, in their memory, did not exist,
And that election thirty days after the adscam report,
Forget it because he never said anything of that sort.

Democracy and individualism they always shun,
Only they will make the appointments, two or three or maybe just one,
To the Senate or the Supreme Court or the GG as we speak,
But only if you’re a card-carrying member of their little clique.

These tax and spend adscam types want to stay in office forever,
In democratic deficit it’s an easy endeavor,
No referendums, no recall because they make the decisions,
Envelopes full of money do this with great precision.

They want a royal commission to maintain the status quo,
Another stacked committee and another puppet show,
They may or may not, recall parliament sometime next year,
In a democratic deficit place they have no fear.

Sunday, September 04, 2005
http://jimbredin.blogspot.com/

Vitamin C

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2005
Ontario
To me, the GG has absolutely nothing to do with England or the Monarchy. Our GGs used to, and in name still do, but in action they DO NOT.

The GG can provide an invaluable service to Canadians. I really don't know what they do for our interests abroad, but I've been very impressed by what they do here.

I've read speeches by Adrienne Clarkson where she really gives Canadians a lot of praise and recognition for accomplishments we have done, but normally ignore. Speeches she gave to Canadians. I think that's really important for us.

She has also done things like propose the Clarkson Cup for women's hockey in Canada. This may seem silly to some people, but it's really important for us to have an important official who can stand in our corner and help us as Canadians recognize the achievements of other Canadiennes :).

I think that the new appointment was very strategically done as the first step in a fight for Quebec. In three years the Parti Quebecois will almost certainly win the provincial election in Quebec. I would say it is certain that if they win, there will be a referendum within 2 years of that (5 years total). Currently, 60% des Quebecois would vote to leave Canada (some recent poll).

I'm glad that Paul Martin has some sense and foresight to begin making preparations for the upcoming "debate". I'm also glad that he chose someone who will not see sovereignists as our "enemies that need to be crushed", but as our long lost brothers who need to be brought back to the family.

This has really brought some hope to me. Before that I didn't have much, because the way things look right now we will be saying goodbye to Quebec very soon.

Vitamin C

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2005
Ontario
RE: The Right Honorable M

It is also very important that we have a GG who in no way will be seen by des Quebecois to be a Monarchist or rep of the Queen.

A lot des Quebecois think that we are English. I spent the summer in the beautiful city o Chicoutimi, Quebec and when I spoke with the people about differences between Quebec and the rest of Canada they always called the rest of Canada, "Les Anglais" or The English.

I deteste that with a passion. I'm not english, and have never been to england. My Scottish and Irish ancesters were treated the same way by the British, as the people of Quebec were. They were conquered the same way.