Electoral Member
Aug 7, 2005
Sometimes quotes from the past can have present day meanings:

Fear for Grit White North

Powerful Liberal ruling regime menace to freedom of ordinary Canadians

By Licia Corbella -- Calgary Sun

"Any needless concentration of power is a menace to freedom."
-- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

That quote was gleaned from a musty-smelling 30th Anniversary edition of a Reader's Digest Reader 1922-1952 pulled off the shelf of my in-laws' Ontario lake-side cottage.

Clearly, not enough Canadians took Eisenhower's pearl of wisdom to heart. Indeed, it appears many Americans might want to reflect upon it, too.

Eisenhower's article was first published in the October 1948 edition of Reader's Digest -- some five years before he became a two-term President of the United States in 1953 and just three years after the end of the Second World War, in which Eisenhower was supreme commander of allied troops in Europe.

Gen. Eisenhower wrote the article, entitled "An Open Letter to America's Students," in his capacity as president of Columbia University, a post he took a leave of absence from to serve as supreme commander of NATO in 1950.

Reading that comment stopped me dead in my tracks. I read it to my husband as the call of a loon reverberated over the still lake. I got goosebumps.

"I fear for Canada," said my husband. "The Prime Minister of this country -- usually elected by a minority of the electorate -- holds as much power as any dictator."

According to Duff Conacher, coordinator of Democracy Watch, an Ottawa-based watchdog agency, says Canada's prime minister has the power to appoint more than 3,000 people to positions, including to the federal and supreme court, to tribunals, agencies, key watchdog positions, the head of the RCMP, presidents of Crown Corporations, immigration and refugee board members, senators, and of course, our head of state, the Governor General.

Conacher says Martin's obvious lack of due diligence into the appointment of Quebec soft-separatist Michaelle Jean to the post of Governor General could have been avoided if the leaders of Canada's official parties were given veto power over such non-partisan appointments, something they would not take lightly.

Also, Martin, who coined the phrase "democratic deficit," only promised to implement parliamentary committees to review all federal government appointments when he believed he would win a majority government.

"Prime Minister Martin has decided to break that promise, because he doesn't have a majority and therefore wouldn't be able to control the committees that would review appointments," explained Conacher.

So, if a prime minister sticks around long enough, he can appoint as many as 3,000 cronies to positions that then serve the ruling party and not the electorate.

Former prime minister Jean Chretien appointed six of Canada's Supreme Court Justices, and Martin, with his minority government, has already appointed two and is set to appoint another Justice when John C. Major is expected to retire before the end of the year.

In other words, the entire Supreme court will consist of Liberal party appointees pushing through a Liberal agenda, even though the ruling Liberals have never won more than 41% of the popular vote.

According to Larry Gordon, executive director of Fair Vote Canada, never did Canadian voters' wishes become so distorted as during Jean Chretien's three elections.

In 1993, Chretien won just 41% of the popular vote, but he won 60% of the then-301 seats in the House of Commons.

In 1997, garnering just 38.5% of the popular vote, Chretien won 51.5% of the seats in the House, making it "the phoniest majority government in Canadian history," says Gordon.

In 2000, pulling in 40.9% of the popular vote, Chretien's Liberals took 57.5% of the seats in the House.

And yet during that time and since, the prime minister has never ruled with such impunity.

Conacher points out this restricts the freedom of ordinary Canadians.

How? Well, consider that most corporations in Canada donate to the ruling party for fear that if they don't, they won't be treated fairly when government contracts come up. That restricts freedom of conscience.

And freedom is a big word. It is linked to the functioning of our democracy and how we are represented and if we are equal.

"Even with a minority government in Canada, because all of these appointed positions are selected by the ruling party leader, we do not have a rule of law for the ruling party," said Conacher.

"It's as serious as that."

He points out how the RCMP, headed by a Liberal appointee, pretty much refused to investigate Jean Chretien's dealings in the Shawinigate scandal and other questionable taxpayer-funded deals as well as dozens of other examples of top Liberals being let off the hook by Liberal leader-appointed appointees.

Consider that both Canada's Port Authority and Transportation and Safety Board are Liberal leader-appointed hacks. How likely is it Canada Steamship Lines (Paul Martin's family-owned business -- which has been shown to violate Canadian labour and environmental laws) will be held to account by Martin appointees?

Remember how, the day before the now-disgraced George Radwanski was appointed privacy commissioner, the federal tax department officially forgave almost $540,000 he owed the government from years of not paying income taxes?

How many Canadians not connected to the Liberal party have ever received such a windfall exoneration?

My guess is none, though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

"The ruling-party members, supporters and donors, I believe very strongly, are held to a lower standard than everybody else in Canadian society by all of these agencies that are headed up by Liberal government appointees who will help cover up things and apply a different standard," said Conacher.

"That's a disaster to the rest of Canadians' freedom, because if you're not a ruling-party supporter, you may get more harsh treatment."

Musicman

Electoral Member
Aug 7, 2005
mrmom2 said:
Oh but the Cons would do a better job YEA RIGHT FREAKIN RELIGIOUS ZEALOTS MORON :roll:

Well, I for one, am willing to give somebody else a chance. The present bunch has not exactly instilled confidence in the democratic system.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Musicman said:
mrmom2 said:
Oh but the Cons would do a better job YEA RIGHT FREAKIN RELIGIOUS ZEALOTS MORON :roll:

Well, I for one, am willing to give somebody else a chance. The present bunch has not exactly instilled confidence in the democratic system.

And a political party that would deny rights of select groups would instill that coinfidence for you?

What a pathetic loser you are, bluealberta... :roll:

Musicman

Electoral Member
Aug 7, 2005
Vanni Fucci said:
Musicman said:
mrmom2 said:

And a political party that would deny rights of select groups would instill that coinfidence for you?

What a pathetic loser you are, bluealberta... :roll:

AGain with the wrong name :roll: . I said SOMEBODY ELSE, no one specific. Let us all know when that remedial reading class is finished, 'kay? :eek:

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
mrmom2 said:

The point is not so much who would take their place, but that the country would be better served if the Liberals 'sat a few out'. Hell, give the Greens a shot, or the Marijuana party. Even the NDP might be ok... how much damage could they really do in one term?? :lol:

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Canada Has Not Learned Yet

manda said:
I say that you all put my name on the ballots and vote for me instead...How much damage could I really do in one term? :wink:

Only if you give me a cushy diplomatic posting... maybe ambassador to Bermuda??? 8)

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Re: RE: Canada Has Not Learned Yet

MMMike said:
manda said:
I say that you all put my name on the ballots and vote for me instead...How much damage could I really do in one term? :wink:

Only if you give me a cushy diplomatic posting... maybe ambassador to Bermuda??? 8)

How bouts Jamaica man? :lol: No freaky triangle to worry about important people disappearing into...just clouds of smoke 8)

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
MMMike said:
mrmom2 said:

The point is not so much who would take their place, but that the country would be better served if the Liberals 'sat a few out'. Hell, give the Greens a shot, or the Marijuana party. Even the NDP might be ok... how much damage could they really do in one term?? :lol:

I could agree with this quite readily, if it were any party but the Conservatives...their ass-backward domestic policy gives me the heebie-jeebies... :confused1:

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Vanni Fucci said:
MMMike said:
mrmom2 said:

I could agree with this quite readily, if it were any party but the Conservatives...their ass-backward domestic policy gives me the heebie-jeebies... :confused1:

I hear you there...now...vote for me! Amanda for supreme ruler!...I mean PM...ack sorry

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
manda said:
Vanni Fucci said:
MMMike said:
mrmom2 said:

I hear you there...now...vote for me! Amanda for supreme ruler!...I mean PM...ack sorry

Yeah sure...why the feck not... :thumbleft:

Musicman

Electoral Member
Aug 7, 2005
Vanni Fucci said:
MMMike said:
mrmom2 said:

Understood, Vanni Fucci, and your opinion is quite reasonable if you think that way. My point is simply that there is too much power in the office of the Prime Minister, no matter WHICH party is in power. The part of the article that says how many appointments the PM can make is truly frightening to me. This country is an elected dictatorship with the only ones supposedly providing the checks and balances appointed by the one in charge. Who guards the guards?

Robair

Aug 30, 2005
Musicman said:
My point is simply that there is too much power in the office of the Prime Minister, no matter WHICH party is in power. The part of the article that says how many appointments the PM can make is truly frightening to me. This country is an elected dictatorship with the only ones supposedly providing the checks and balances appointed by the one in charge. Who guards the guards?
Soooo... you would be looking for a party with something like this in its platform:
The Canadian ACTION Party will reform our electoral and democratic systems to give the citizens of Canada more say over their lives than just the present right to vote every four years. We feel both systems require a complete overhaul -- from the funding of political parties to the accountability of elected representatives and the almost absolute power of the prime minister. Canadians cannot express themselves politically in key areas of their lives without a healthy, responsive democratic system.

Yea?

Robair

Aug 30, 2005
Thing is mom2, I think all the arguing over Conservative vs Liberal is kind of pointless, they're pretty much the same party. Both support bank mergers, corperate tax breaks, NAFTA and rediculouse amounts of foriegn ownership. Stupid amounts even, enough to make other G8 nations either laugh at us or shake their collective heads in dissbelief.

The only difference between the two are stupid non-issues like gay marriage and gun control that have no bearing whatsoever on the countries fate. Which, under Liberal/Conservative rule, is to become a colony of the United States.

Whew. Hello Rev and everybody else... any other Canadaka alumni here?