A new Governor-General to be picked soon.

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario
The Parti Quebecois is expected to choose a new leader in the fall and is promising a sovereignty referendum if it wins the next provincial election.

I know this is off topic but could a new GG do anything to unify Quebec and Canada? Wether the new GG is Quebecois or not I don't think a referendum would really pass but then I don't know the mood Quebecers have towards the rest of us.

My vote is for former health minister Monique Begin. She created the Canada Health Act you know!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: A new Governor-Genera

I think we should give it to Alanis Morrisette. I don't think she's qualified, but it would keep her from singing. ;-)

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Sy said:
The Parti Quebecois is expected to choose a new leader in the fall and is promising a sovereignty referendum if it wins the next provincial election.

I know this is off topic but could a new GG do anything to unify Quebec and Canada? Wether the new GG is Quebecois or not I don't think a referendum would really pass but then I don't know the mood Quebecers have towards the rest of us.

I can't imagine they care to much about who is GG...we certainly can't appoint a sepratist though...

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: A new Governor-Genera

Reverend Blair said:
I think we should give it to Alanis Morrisette. I don't think she's qualified, but it would keep her from singing. ;-)

I'm shocked...I thought you were a huge Alanis fan. :wink:

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario
Re: RE: A new Governor-Genera

Reverend Blair said:
If I wanted to hear a woman whine I'd phone my mother more often, Jay.

Try to find a canadian female singer (hell, any type of artist) who doesn't whine and make her GG. She would definetly have the "Unique" aspect to portray about Canada!

And I think Monique Begin is about as federalist as you can get for a Francophone. No worry there. My second choice would probably be former Prime Minister Joe Clark.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I wonder if Paul Martin misplaced my own application to be GG?? I'm certainly as <un>qualified as any of the other idiots on the list.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
And I think Monique Begin is about as federalist as you can get for a Francophone. No worry there. My second choice would probably be former Prime Minister Joe Clark.

Both Begin and Clark would be excellent choices. Both are fairly well-respected in the political community and well-known to the Canadian people. I'm not sure how much international recognition Begin has, which might make Clark a better choice in that respect, but international recognition has never been a major stumbling block in the past.

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario

For once I completely agree with you Reverend.

Just a heads up: in the year 2052 I will be the new Governor General of Canada.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
How about Maude Barlow. She certainly knows how to travel a lot cheaper than the current GG. She is aware of all of the critical issues in the world. And she has a dogged determinism.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Just a heads up: in the year 2052 I will be the new Governor General of Canada.

I doubt I'll be around to see you achieve your dream, Sy. If I am though, I want a personal invite to do tequila shots at the GG's mansion. 8)

How about Maude Barlow. She certainly knows how to travel a lot cheaper than the current GG. She is aware of all of the critical issues in the world. And she has a dogged determinism.

I agree that she would be an excellent choice. Unfortunately she is unpopular with many on the right of the political spectrum, which makes it unlikely she would be chosen. Martin is basically a conservative and very pro-corporate, which doesn't fit well with Barlow getting the appointment.

It occurs to me that Kim Campbell's name might come up. She's been doing a fair bit of work with an international organisation (I can't remember the name) that brings high-level thinkers from several walks of life together. It seems to be a fairly conservative organisation though, which fits well with Martin's leadership, and she wouldn't be criticised much by the Conservatives being a former PC. They may not like her, but they could hardly villify her given the circumstances.

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario

If my dream is realized by then I'll personally invite anyone who has over 1500 posts in the Canadian Content Community ;)