bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Interesting article from todays Calgary Sun:

Sat, July 9, 2005

Time for Alberta to exit, stage right?

By LINK BYFIELD -- Calgary Sun

A University of Alberta professor I know sent me a lengthy article he's trying to get published, entitled: "Let's get while the getting's good."

In it, Leon Craig, professor emeritus of political science, lays out a case for Alberta to declare unilateral independence. And he lays it out well.

Craig makes no bones about it.

NEW 2005 WILSON PLUS CART CARRY STAND GOLF BAG
C $67.13 1h 18m

NEW 5 ASHWORTH CALLAWAY GOLF SHIRTS XL
C $95.21 1h 18m

RARE 3 Nike One Black Golf Balls BOB Ball Sleeve
C $42.36 1h 18m

Titleist DCI 822 Oversize Single Iron Golf Club
C $12.19 1h 18m

Original Burberry Golf Visor
C $6.34 1h 19m

NEW Men Abercrombie Kuester Plaid Moose Golf Shorts,36
C $31.77 1h 19m

NINTENDO GAMECUBE SWINGERZ GOLF GAME "NEW & SEALED"
C $6.09 1h 19m

View all disclaimer

Alberta, he says, should go it alone.

Almost overnight, we would become one of the most prosperous nations in the world.

But -- and this is his key point -- the main reason to secede is not because Albertans would have more money. Not that there's anything wrong with money.

More importantly, we would create a country that reflects our own political and social beliefs, values and traditions, and our understanding of the common good.

Canada, says Craig, has been so badly governed since the Trudeau era, it has doomed itself to a Third World, banana republic fate.

We will become -- are in fact becoming -- the Argentina of the 21st century.

Political corruption gets rewarded instead of punished, productivity slides, and the opportunistic politics of envy becomes the basis of our whole system of national government.

The only promising place left in Canada, he concludes, is Alberta.

And Alberta owes it to itself, to its future citizens, and to like-minded people in the rest of the country to save itself.

As a sovereign and independent nation, he suggests, our population -- viable to begin with -- would double in 10 years, even allowing for a welcome exodus of Albertans who would be happier back in Canada.

Far more good people move to take advantage of opportunity than flee from it.

Our social policies -- marriage and family matters, medicare, civil and religious freedoms, etc. -- would no longer be imposed by the Supreme Court and a handful of Ottawa mandarins.

We could establish our own laws to deal with crime and punishment, and our own separate relationship with the Americans.

If we don't do these things now, he says, we'll sink with the Canadian ship.

The professor dismisses the idea of "refederating" Canada along its original lines of strong provinces and a small central government.

He thinks the rest of the country is too far gone to change back to what it was.

He even gives short shrift to the "West."

Any attempt to create a new federalism, even in the West, he believes will fail. If other western provinces, or parts of provinces, want to join Alberta, by becoming part of it, they should be welcomed.

All that binds Albertans to Canada, he concludes, is sentiment -- an attachment to Canada's once-illustrious military and pioneer past, and to our own provincial part in it.

We must now face the fact that the old Canada is gone forever and the new Canada is disgusting.

So what are we to make of all this?

It's hard to argue against his analysis of the problem.

The Trudeau delusion that you can build a credible nation with "national social programs" is so shallow it's absurd.

And given the stern rejection of the Reform party by eastern Canadians, it's impossible to refute that the only forceful thing Albertans can do is to separate.

Where I disagree with my friend is whether we owe any allegiance to other Canadians.

What is driving more and more Albertans towards separatism is the fact that our original constitutional arrangement -- the political bargain on which Canada was built -- has long since been obliterated by the national government.

Had that not happened, Canada would not be in its present ugly mess.

Alberta is the only province with both the means and the motive to force a restoration of those original terms. Not by asking. By telling.

But we owe it to our nine federal partners -- the other provinces -- to state the terms on which we would be willing to stay. This is something we have never done.

Only if those terms are refused should we decide on independence.

Most of you know where I stand on this issue, but to continue to hear this from the supposed elite of this province is becoming more and more the norm. It is no longer simply a redneck issue that has been part of this topic for some years. Rather, it has moved into the boardrooms of corporations, lawyers and accountants.

This issue will not be going away.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: Another Alberta Messa

I think it's fairly simple ... If Albertans do not like Canadian politics, move yourself to a country that has suitable politics. Breaking up a country is absurd.

Add to that the ill feelings generated by such rumblings. When a province tries to separate, it alienates itself from the rest of the country and is judged for their lack of patriotism. One thing the US has over us is that their states aren't constantly trying to separate.

I figure if you don't like Canada, get out. There's a whole world out there.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Another Alberta Messa

Toro said:
Hey, you know who loves you Blue.

Hey, thanks.

My main point about this issue is that it is getting stronger and stronger, and with more so-called elite talking about it. When the power brokers get together and agree, who knows what could happen. To those that think we should leave if we don't like it, in many ways, we have already left Canada, but have extremely strong and patriotic attachments to Alberta. We want Alberta to succeed, and not be sucked into some vortex which destroys it. For that reason, we will continue to push for what we think is best for Alberta, whether that be in or out of Canada. Ideally, in Canada, but if Canada continues to reject Alberta, then that makes the decision even easier, doesn't it?

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Vanni Fucci said:
bluealberta said:
Vanni Fucci said:
Do you have central air in your house blue?

Nope, Yup, and Nope. I only need one post to respond to your three questions. :wink:

Yeah you're clever alright... :p

Notwithstanding your property's lack of amenities, I think I'll move into your house anyway...once you're gone that is... :wink:

I am not going anywhere. The province may, though. And you would not like my house, it leans a little to the right. :wink:

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
missile said:
It
's a shame we won't be able to import any of your beef..Mad Cow,you know :(

All the more for us, besides, why would Canada want to deprive itself of the best beef in the world? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Or tastebuds. What do you think you're eating now?

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Vanni Fucci said:
bluealberta said:
I am not going anywhere. The province may, though. And you would not like my house, it leans a little to the right. :wink:

Well Ok, you can keep the damn house then...just as long as you sell OUR oil for us at a good price...

Ah now Vanni, you know full well that natural resources are the property of the provinces as guaranteed by the constitution. I am sure that the new constitution of Alberta will reflect this as well.

Long live the Republic!!! :p